New deck for AGP

Jul 1, 2018
Roscoe, IL
Hey all!

So just two weeks ago we had a new above ground pool put in. The sales guy asked if we were going to build a deck for the pool in the future to which we said yes. He suggested a "beaded liner" so that's what we got. This week hopefully a new deck is going to be built and the question will be posed to me of where do I want the deck to end at. I have seen different theories on how a deck should terminate around a pool. I think I would prefer it go over the rail to keep people off of it (the rail) but I don't know if that is still okay to do with a beaded liner? Maybe down the road I want the pull over type liner if that's even possible? I've attached some photos of our setup to make sure we are on the same page. I need to find some pictures of decks so I can ease my mind about how people can get it and out of the pool without bothering the structure of the pool. I want to hear all of your opinions, what do you all suggest? Thanks

I was just reading a thread regarding this same question. If you scroll down, you may see it...something like "deck over, deck under..." There were pics of the different ways people built and a discussion. May be helpful.

I was just reading a thread regarding this same question. If you scroll down, you may see it...something like "deck over, deck under..." There were pics of the different ways people built and a discussion. May be helpful.

That was helpful, so thanks for that. I guess what I am looking for is verification that I have a beaded liner, and that with that type of liner that there would be no reason to need to remove the top plates for any reason other than a disassembly of the pool correct? What would be the cons to installing the deck right over the rail? The pump and related equipment are not nearby, and I would have the builder put the deck a few inches above the rail so I could slip the winter cover on and off.

You have a beaded liner and it looks exactly how it's supposed to look.

The beauty of a beaded liner is the top of the pool does not have to be disassembled to do a liner replacement. It just simply snaps into the bead reciever and hangs down into the pool. That is why the liner itself doesn't go all the way up to meet the top rails.

So with that said one can build the deck to overhang the top rails where with an overlap liner and a deck that goes over, it'd be very difficult or almost impossible to replace the liner with out some serious deconstruction.

So now it's all up to your preferences and what look you'd prefer. You have the option to go either way.

Pool I inherited had the deck built over the railing, looks nice, had to struggle sometimes to get the winter cover between the deck and the railing as the slightest amount of settling or movement between deck and pool makes that clearance even tighter, but minor nuisance.

The problem was when I went to replace the liner and had to take a sawzall to the deck mid project, then hire a real deck builder to cut the whole thing back and make it look nice again.

A beaded liner should solve that problem for you so can't really think of any cons other than that and ensuring there is enough space for the winter cover to slip through.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.