New Construction - please review contract specs for issues..

Re: New Construction - please review contract specs for issu

mikeginder said:
[quote="JohnT "Decking: 1050 square feet allotment of broom finished fiber reinforced concrete deck per homeowner drawing" No, no, no and heck no! You have to have rebar or copper mesh in the concrete to bond the decking. It is required by code. Use the fiber if you want, but you have to have metal in there.

so if you dont have a concrete deck?[/quote]

It depends on what you have. If it is conductive, it has to be bonded. Wet concrete is conductive.

Bfassler said:
I don't understand. I'm goin to make sure the PB will do metal reinforcements.

I would try to get the contract to include "pool, deck and equipment to be bonded per NEC 2008" or whatever version is in force in your area. You'll have to talk to your permit/inspection authority to know for sure.

You can't trust that the electrician or inspector will know what they are talking about. Most don't.

JohnT said:
mikeginder said:
[quote="JohnT "Decking: 1050 square feet allotment of broom finished fiber reinforced concrete deck per homeowner drawing" No, no, no and heck no! You have to have rebar or copper mesh in the concrete to bond the decking. It is required by code. Use the fiber if you want, but you have to have metal in there.

so if you dont have a concrete deck?

It depends on what you have. If it is conductive, it has to be bonded. Wet concrete is conductive.[/quote]

well i am thinking pavers, which are concrete I believe. and what if its just grass around my pool? Isn't wet grass conductive?

Pavers are a problem IMO. If I were doing pavers, I'd do the copper mesh under them to be sure I was covered.

ok ( playing a friendly devils advocate here) and this bonding of the surface is to prevent electrical shock in the instance of the surface being wet and somehow being charged by "something"?

I using pavers for my decking.

My research indicates they many times less conductive than poured concrete.

There's no way to eliminate all risk in life and there are thousands of pools with paver deck (many old with no bonding) so I believe the risk of injury with paver decking to be low.

mikeginder said:
ok ( playing a friendly devils advocate here) and this bonding of the surface is to prevent electrical shock in the instance of the surface being wet and somehow being charged by "something"?

The concrete will almost always be damp around the pool. The bonding system is in place to avoid electrocution from electrical failures or accidents in or near the pool. If everything conductive a swimmer can possibly touch while swimming (including the water) or that can possibly touch the water is wired together, everything will be at the same voltage. It doesn't matter whether that voltage is 5V or 500V, the swimmer won't be shocked. This is true even if a live electrical wire were to fall in the pool or a faulty pump connected 220 to the impeller shaft.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

The NEC states you must have a 12x12 inch grid around pool and extending horizontally under deck (of any type) for at least 3 feet.

so if you dont have a concrete deck?

It's appear that the pro's don't necessarily agree on the subject.

The 2008 electrical code changed from the 2005 version and mentions "grid" several times in the code.

Some take it literally. Others jurisdictions allow an "alternative bonding" practice by placing a bare wire around the perimeter of the pool underneath the surface.

Not an expert here... but if you add the bonding wire to the concrete after pouring, I think you need to use stainless wire cut into the slab with a caulk or something to protect it. It corrodes and loses its bond with the concrete. If you add it before the pour, it can be copper tied/bonded to the rebar as there won't be any air to cause corrosion.

That's my understanding.

Here is a good article that explains the debate and concerns about the alternative single wire loop:
http://ecmweb.com/contractor/debate-deep-end

Don't know about you guys but if I was building a pool in an area with underground utilities (as many neighborhoods are), especially if I had an easement in my yard with underground electric, I would want the grid if I went with pavers.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.