New Construction in Florida

That surface will make a wonderful water colour, great choice :goodjob:
There is something about backyards with a high wood fence surrounding it that I like.... alot. Especially when you've got such wonderful blue sky shining on it :) Saw that you invited all TFP's members to the grand opening in an earlier post. If I were just a liiiiiiitle bit wealthier, would I take the first flight over :-D
So please keep the pics coming so I atleast can enjoy it from a distance :cheers:

Hi Everyone, thank you for all the great comments / encouragement! If you see something that you like or concerns you, just let me know! Yesterday was one of the funnest days of my life......it just was surreal watching that huge piece of fiberglass floating over my house :shock:

Searching through this site, asking questions, and keeping track of the forums had made this a much more enjoyable experience. The amount of knowledge and friendly atmosphere is something that all of you who run and moderate TFP should be proud of :-D

Ok, no more sappy stuff, lets talk pools! Henry, thank you for the compliment on the pool color. I chose white because of what you mentioned, the light blue water will look great in front of that wood fence and blue sky :wink: and because i knew that white is a "tried and true" Marine paint color ( i hope). If you do make it Stateside you are welcome to drop by anytime.

Attachments

• tfp22.jpg
    tfp22.jpg
    338.2 KB · Views: 97
  • tfp20.jpg
    tfp20.jpg
    259.8 KB · Views: 97
  • tfp19.jpg
    tfp19.jpg
    326.6 KB · Views: 95
Its the weekend and they left the bobcat here........i just want to jump in and drive the thing. Michele is concerned that i would accidently drive it into the pool and she has a point. So far my PB has been right on schedule and no hitches. The crew is great and we have been giving them Gatoraid and pats on the back for the great job they are doing. Im hoping in two weeks the pool and deck will be finished. After that we will be looking to install a overhang/cover over a section of the deck, landscaping, and finally paint the house. :whoot:

Attachments

• tfp18.jpg
    tfp18.jpg
    364 KB · Views: 87
  • tfp15.jpg
    tfp15.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 87
  • tfp17.jpg
    tfp17.jpg
    393 KB · Views: 87

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Something sometimes overlooked - have a termite company out to put down their product just before decking. If you have a termite bond and they don't come out it will void your warranty. Even if you don't have a bond, the use of flex PVC would indicate the desirability for something like Termidor. If you have this covered, well then good, but it's not something high on people's mind when looking at water sitting there and all you can think about is getting wet.

BTW, looks good, bet you're getting really excited at this stage, I was.

lbridges said:
Something sometimes overlooked - have a termite company out to put down their product just before decking. If you have a termite bond and they don't come out it will void your warranty. Even if you don't have a bond, the use of flex PVC would indicate the desirability for something like Termidor. If you have this covered, well then good, but it's not something high on people's mind when looking at water sitting there and all you can think about is getting wet.

BTW, looks good, bet you're getting really excited at this stage, I was.

Thank you Ibridges,

Wow, i completely had no thought about termites but now that you mention it i will call my bug guys and ask them to come out next week and treat the area with Termidor. Will the termites chew up that flex PVC or damage the concrete decking?

You hit the nail on the head about us being excited at this point. The pool is just sittin' there, waiting.........Woke up this morning and just stared at it for a while, drinking my coffee, scheming a way to get in!

Termidor should knock them down to essentially no problem for years to come (typically once every ten years treatment IIRC). They (termites) don't eat flex pipe for food like they do wood, but in some cases its (flex PVC) reported as being soft enough that if they hit it while tunneling under ground they just go through instead of around. This may have more applicability to places with hard pack soil areas than Florida, but always better safe than sorry. BTW, there is a PB in my county that uses flex and I'm not hearing of problems so don't let me freak you out with this, just wanted to make sure your head was in the game. I have never heard of any effect on concrete.

Also, my bug guy did the respray for free in any area the PB disturbed the soil more than a few inches. Can't hurt to ask.

Gotcha' Lbridges, i will have the back treated for termites before the deck is poured. Being a Floridian one has to be on top of those critters because they will go to town if they have the opportunity to do so. The tree that is my first picture was cut down last week and when i looked at the stump the center of it was eaten away.....termites had chewed up a 1" wide gash that was about a foot long. Im glad its gone...... Thank you for the advice, i might have forgotten to take care of that.

Wow, that is SOOOOOOoooooo much faster than a gunite inground pool. Mine took right about 85 days Dig>Water.

You ordered the pool in March.
No real 'work' took place until April 6
Dig a hole and drop in a pool on April 8
Water in the pool by April 9

My guys did all the concrete decking in 1 day. Pavers seem to take about 5x as long. You should be ready to go in another week. Have fun.

A much faster process than our shotcrete pool - although I'd have been a touch anxious as the pool was hoisted over the house. A few palm trees and you will have a great backyard retreat!
-Taz

Nightmare said:
Wow, that is SOOOOOOoooooo much faster than a gunite inground pool. Mine took right about 85 days Dig>Water.

You ordered the pool in March.
No real 'work' took place until April 6
Dig a hole and drop in a pool on April 8
Water in the pool by April 9

My guys did all the concrete decking in 1 day. Pavers seem to take about 5x as long. You should be ready to go in another week. Have fun.

Thank's Nightmare, looking at the timeline has made me realize how fast this is all going. :shock: Fiberglass IS fast but comes with its own risks too.....( as all pool styles do ) but the smooth surface and price were the main concern for me. I looked at a lot of samples as far as surfaces go and this pool will be perfect for us :-D

I used to live in California ( Im ex Navy) both San Diego and San Francisco. Those views that you have bring back lots of great memories. Your build is top notch and i know you will enjoy it for years to come.

Taz said:
A much faster process than our shotcrete pool - although I'd have been a touch anxious as the pool was hoisted over the house. A few palm trees and you will have a great backyard retreat!
-Taz

Thank's Taz!

Yea', lots of palms are on the radar for us and being in Florida they grow like crazy here. There are so many to chose from that we are going to have Professional landscapers draw up a nice plan for the back yard. Looking foreword to that first dip in the pool! :whoot:

I think just about any palm you pick will grow in Florida. I wanted a bunch of different palms in my yard. I think we have 12 different species here. I still want to add a Foxtail Palm, Travelers Palm and a Flame Thrower Palm. I used several web sites to pick out the ones for our yard:

http://www.plantsofdisneyland.com > This web site has a catalog of just about every plant in Disneyland California. on the left side of the window is a drop down box where you can select just the palm trees.

http://www.florida-palm-trees.com/palm-tree-catalog/

http://www.junglemusic.net/palms/

Hey, i love the websites! The Florida Palm Trees .com has a great selection and excellent pictures. I also like the Disneyland site and of course i had to go look and see if there was a similar site for Disney World but no luck. Ironic...... I also want a Foxtail and a Flamethrower. They are such cool trees and they don't require a lot of attention. Plus no small leaves to get caught in the skimmer basket. :-D

So i went and found a site that, although you cant buy from, has beautiful pictures of plants that are blooming in Florida right now. I have been to this out of the way place and the photos do not do it justice. We are picking and choosing which accent plants and bushes to use from here.

http://www.boktowergardens.org/bloom

This is a decent palm tree site that has a good selection of palm of all sizes.

http://realpalmtrees.com/palm-tree-store/

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.