New Construction in Austin, TX

Not much going on due to the weather :brickwall:
We got over 8 inches in 2 days..a bit more and we could be swimming in there
a7ea9d1a98eed23ec5dbbfb2b412c7ba_zps8b545017.jpg

I think they are called Mosquito Dunks - walmart has them around the garden center, or home depot/lowes near the garden stuff - with all the insect control stuff. You can also throw them in any standing water in your yard as well as in the pool. I have a few in my pool. They also have something similar a little black tablet shaped like a fish, you can use those in bird baths and other water you need to be safe for pets/animals to drink from.

imperator, Beadedbiker - thank you!!! Ran out to the store and got the exact order....plain donuts, no glaze.
Tossed 2 in the pool, one in the spa. All set

23e7c48318a5f5470729646d1e870888_zps55133223.jpg

Karen - thank you. I might have heard the same thing from either your or Readyforapool thread. I'll try that when I'm out of the donuts.

Finally got a break from the rain.
Deck poured....

c1962af26bb68c48e6aaef8cde6e4607_zpsb63f3d7d.jpg

Another crew worked on trenching.
This was buried not far down (previously covered by stone patio). It wasn't marked but the location it was found got me worried due to the proximity to the existing gas line we have for the gril.

I hope this is not it.
dc635540235527819b789a401b062358_zps0f1bf963.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My bro in law (in Austin) said he got a quote on a pool and just over the phone, the PB told him it was in the neighborhood of $20k just to punch a hole in the ground b/c of the rock and limestone !!! Does that even sound ballparkish or the norm?....I notice most of your elevation is above grade.

Good looking pool BTW :cheers:

Yes, I build pools in the Austin area and thats what I say. I just completed one further out in the Hill Country and charged $30k. It was a big, deep pool though and solid rock. Rock demolition is is hard on equipment and therefor expensive. He's not trying to get to you, he just knows what he's having to get into.

Finally, an issue that will test the PB.

I think there was either a miscalculation on the grading, or the design is a it off.
But the result is we ended up with a much higher deck.

The design does not call for anything to prevent things and people from falling off because it does not have much elevation.

6a66411a79ad1c5d1788a073df8c7a9c_zpse5a8c402.jpg

However, this is the rendition
913c4e5cd2c5e5a37659bf3bc40ee1a4_zpsa21932be.jpg

Sorry, not from the same angle.
But to give you an idea, I'm 5'8 and the height of the deck in circle is up to my chest. The pool slope on the design, in reality, starts off at my head level.

We are trying to meet with PB today to see what to do, I don't think we'll pass inspection as is

Hmm...yeah that will be interesting how he handles it. From the angle I'm seeing, and not being a professional at all, I wouldn't think it would be that difficult to bring the grade up a little. I can't quite make out around that corner, but on the opposite side of that raised area from the pool, is that going to be decking or yard?

Either way, I would bet it could be easily remedied.

I'm an insurance professional, and I can tell you from a liability standpoint, that wouldn't be great. Some of my companies don't like anything over 30" inches without handrails.

Here's the one that shows the side on the high deck. Before the rocks went it.

20cea66258b301a30c4c858ccc712576_zps22de5c53.jpg

With rock wing wall (the intent for this is a retaining wall for plants.....well, too high?)

512a46b6d3f2ba718b2f7426b04b23dd_zps4d7a0f7c.jpg

Twolabs, rodog123 -
We work in insurance industry,too. So I'm glad to hear our concern is not far off.
I hope it's an easy fix with more top soil. We don't really want the railing there. if we have to, I only want the glass rail so we can keep the transparency and view but it's way too $$$.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.