New Chlorine Pool and I'm ready for Salt

SmittyTexas

May 13, 2024
Dallas,TX
Hello All,

This is my first post but I regularly visit TFP for help. The information here is always helpful so I wanted to say thank you for providing a place to get unbiased and real opinions.

I have had my pool for a little over 2 seasons and had very little issue maintaining the chemistry per the recommendations of TFP. I recently had a small algae outbreak once it warmed up and followed the SLAM process. After about 8 days I am very happy with the result. What started it was we weren't checking CYA levels regularly and were using stabilized tablets and shock. I could tell there was an issue so I tested everything and my CYA was 150+ so I drained 3/4 and refilled. I am now around 30 CYA with proper FC and my pool is happy and clear. Looks like moving forward I will need to stay away from stabilized tabs and use liquid and/or Calhypo to keep my CYA levels in check. This means no more usage of the inline chlorinator.

This whole issue has made me reflect on my pool-building process and selection of Chlorine vs. Salt. The conversation with the PB was a quick and simple question, "if I had a preference?" I told him I didn't have a preference so he suggested we go with Chlorine and that's what we did and never thought about it again.

I am trying to understand why anyone building a residential pool today would NOT use salt and choose Chlorine? I have been reading many articles here and elsewhere and Salt seems to be superior in every category. Sure, I have read that a salt pool is more "expensive" upfront but after spending over $150k on a new pool then I really don't care about another $3-$4k in equipment and startup. I can do the salt water transition myself and it looks like I can do it for half that amount.

Why wouldn't I and everyone else building a pool today just go salt and forego the issues of chlorine jugs, tablets, smells, etc...What am I missing?

Reactions: Newdude
I am trying to understand why anyone building a residential pool today would NOT use salt and choose Chlorine?
Good question. Many builders seem to frown on it for some reason, using decking materials or corrosion as an excuse, but I don't think they really grasp the chemistry. Regardless, an SWG is the way to go. I switched a few years ago and am very pleased. You will be too.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Hello All,

This is my first post but I regularly visit TFP for help. The information here is always helpful so I wanted to say thank you for providing a place to get unbiased and real opinions.

I have had my pool for a little over 2 seasons and had very little issue maintaining the chemistry per the recommendations of TFP. I recently had a small algae outbreak once it warmed up and followed the SLAM process. After about 8 days I am very happy with the result. What started it was we weren't checking CYA levels regularly and were using stabilized tablets and shock. I could tell there was an issue so I tested everything and my CYA was 150+ so I drained 3/4 and refilled. I am now around 30 CYA with proper FC and my pool is happy and clear. Looks like moving forward I will need to stay away from stabilized tabs and use liquid and/or Calhypo to keep my CYA levels in check. This means no more usage of the inline chlorinator.

This whole issue has made me reflect on my pool-building process and selection of Chlorine vs. Salt. The conversation with the PB was a quick and simple question, "if I had a preference?" I told him I didn't have a preference so he suggested we go with Chlorine and that's what we did and never thought about it again.

I am trying to understand why anyone building a residential pool today would NOT use salt and choose Chlorine? I have been reading many articles here and elsewhere and Salt seems to be superior in every category. Sure, I have read that a salt pool is more "expensive" upfront but after spending over $150k on a new pool then I really don't care about another $3-$4k in equipment and startup. I can do the salt water transition myself and it looks like I can do it for half that amount.

Why wouldn't I and everyone else building a pool today just go salt and forego the issues of chlorine jugs, tablets, smells, etc...What am I missing?
Lots of people think salt pool are actually salt water pools and so they freak out about corrosion. But the reality is that salt pools have the same amount of chlorine as “chlorine pools”. They just generate the chlorine using a very small amount of salt in the water. Its nothing like ocean salt water so I suspect people just dont know the details.

From my reading over the years, it seems the highest reluctance by PB to salt comes from ones based in Texas. I'm not from there so I don't know why. When I built my first pool in 2006, I wasn't asked the question between tabs or SWG. I likely wouldn't know what was best at the time. Fortunately for me, my PB installed SWG in the pools they built. Probably lucky back in those days.

Last edited:
This whole issue has made me reflect on my pool-building process and selection of Chlorine vs. Salt.
The terminology is a bit confusing, but all "salt" pools still use chlorine as the sanitizer. All "chlorine" pools have salt in them (at some level).

stabilized tablets and shock. I could tell there was an issue so I tested everything and my CYA was 150+ so I drained 3/4 and refilled.
As you can see, trichlor tabs are unsustainable.

liquid and/or Calhypo to keep my CYA levels in check.
Cal hypo will dramatically increase your CH level, which is also unsustainable. The only two viable methods for long-term chlorination are liquid chlorine and SWCG.

I am trying to understand why anyone building a residential pool today would NOT use salt and choose Chlorine?
There's a lot of misinformation and ignorance on the internet. Also, a lot of pool builders have no clue about water chemistry. A lot of people simply don't know any better. I would highly recommend getting a SWCG. It's by far the cheapest, easiest, and most convenient way to chlorinate your pool.

The conversation with the PB was a quick and simple question, "if I had a preference?" I told him I didn't have a preference so he suggested we go with Chlorine and that's what we did and never thought about it again.
I lucked out with my PB, who knew better. I demanded an easy pool and he said I needed to go salt. Having actual salt water in all directions, and always feeling the need for a shower after, I objected.

He laughed and promised it would be nothing like the ocean. I'm super glad I listened because pool care has been a joke since 2012.

Welcome from the shadows !!!

Thanks everyone for the responses. Ya'll pretty much confirmed what I was thinking but kept waiting on the catch or something I wasn't considering.

Cal hypo will dramatically increase your CH level, which is also unsustainable. The only two viable methods for long-term chlorination are liquid chlorine and SWCG.
I hadn't considered that Cal hypo will increase CH enough to be unsustainable either. Thanks for mentioning that as that further pushes me toward salt as the long-term solution.

Guess that means I start researching the installation process of the new SWG and startup!

He laughed and promised it would be nothing like the ocean. I'm super glad I listened because pool care has been a joke since 2012.
This is what I am hoping for! Thank you!

Reactions: pjt and Newdude