Gold Supporter
Jun 24, 2022
Donna, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I bought a filter and the inlet (right first picture) and outlet (left) are at the bottom of the housing. 2 inch plumbing now, filter is 1.5 I assume. I want to:
1. remove the backwash valve
2. add a check valve to protect the heater
3. make as few turns as possible

Looking forward to a lively discussion.

Attachments

• New filter_1.jpg
    New filter_1.jpg
    406.8 KB · Views: 20
  • New filter_2.jpg
    New filter_2.jpg
    597.2 KB · Views: 19
  • New filter_3.jpg
    New filter_3.jpg
    521.5 KB · Views: 16
  • New filter_4.jpg
    New filter_4.jpg
    578.4 KB · Views: 15
  • New filter_5.jpg
    New filter_5.jpg
    569.7 KB · Views: 14
  • New filter_6.jpg
    New filter_6.jpg
    676.7 KB · Views: 14
  • New filter_7.jpg
    New filter_7.jpg
    622.8 KB · Views: 13
  • New filter_8.jpg
    New filter_8.jpg
    586.6 KB · Views: 14
  • New filter_9.jpg
    New filter_9.jpg
    516.4 KB · Views: 19
Two-inch couplers will fit over the filter unions and allow for all 2" plumbing. Or you get 2" couplers, 1.5"-2" reducer bushings, small pieces of 1.5" pipe. You don't need a check valve to protect the heater from the filter. Even with a check valve that tab feeder will damage the heater and should be removed. If you want to use tablets, it is best that they be in a floating dispenser where they add a bit of chlorine 24/7.

Two-inch couplers will fit over the filter unions and allow for all 2" plumbing. Or you get 2" couplers, 1.5"-2" reducer bushings, small pieces of 1.5" pipe. You don't need a check valve to protect the heater from the filter. Even with a check valve that tab feeder will damage the heater and should be removed. If you want to use tablets, it is best that they be in a floating dispenser where they add a bit of chlorine 24/7.
I saw that you prefer a floating dispenser. That goes against just about everything I have read online. Why do you prefer them?

That goes against just about everything I have read online. Why do you prefer them?
Every tab feeder will fail, it's only a matter of time. When it allows acid to seep into the lines, it will eat the check valve, and then the heater.

Floaters by comparison are $14 and great for occasional use. If something happens to it on year 3, it's cheap go replace.

The indoor pool is a bromine pool. I REALLY don't like tab feeders. They don't seem to work well. I am pretty sure a floater won't work in this situation. The old people don't like them. The management does not want salt water, I need to get everything on liquid chlorine. It's working great for the outdoor pool.

I saw that you prefer a floating dispenser. That goes against just about everything I have read online. Why do you prefer them?
What Newdude said! That WILL happen unless your pumps run 24/7. They are no longer "legal" for commercial pools in my area as they continue to add CYA to levels not permitted. Liquid or SWG is the way to go on your pools.

Reactions: Newdude
I clearly stated it is a bromine pool so there is no CYA in the tabs.
Good morning @BoHpool. This thread started out with you looking for recommendations to make your new filter connection and efficient plumbing routes. Makes sense. Along the way it got a bit side-tracked on the whole tab thing. For now, I want to ensure your thread receives topic-related replies like the one provided by 1poolman1 in Post #2. If you would like more plumbing suggestions, we'll try to keep this thread focused on that subject.

You clarified that the outdoor pool is already liquid chlorine and your end-goal is to convert the indoor pool from bromine to chlorine as well at some point. You can always start a new thread (if needed) about converting the indoor pool from bromine to chlorine. Hope that helps.

Good morning @BoHpool. This thread started out with you looking for recommendations to make your new filter connection and efficient plumbing routes. Makes sense. Along the way it got a bit side-tracked on the whole tab thing. For now, I want to ensure your thread receives topic-related replies like the one provided by 1poolman1 in Post #2. If you would like more plumbing suggestions, we'll try to keep this thread focused on that subject.

You clarified that the outdoor pool is already liquid chlorine and your end-goal is to convert the indoor pool from bromine to chlorine as well at some point. You can always start a new thread (if needed) about converting the indoor pool from bromine to chlorine. Hope that helps.
Thank you. I'm not sure if you can 'mark it solved' or lock the thread but I think I will be moving on to other subjects.

Reactions: Texas Splash

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.