New Build Ontario Canada

Update....

So a beautiful long weekend here in Canada...would have been warm enough to swim too! Had to put out the sprinkler for my boy to play in the water, also took him to aquatic centre to swim and play on the slide. At our old house we swam every weekend this time of year (Queen Victoria Day). #monarchforthewin

So here is the update....my pool builder came out to our house today to chat, I was not home so I missed him but he called me and told me that his main contractor who has the back issue is probably able to supervise and his friend who runs a business on the east coast of Canada has flown to Ontario to do the work with him supervising as best he can as he rests his back sitting on our deck. Should be interesting but glad to see some "talk" of work being done.

I did get a chance to speak to the builder today and he really wanted to know if I liked the retaining wall and if I had enough room behind our waterfall/jumping platform. He stopped working for the day until my wife and I came home to see it as he didn't want to go farther and take it down if we didn't like it.

We really don't know what to do with that space but happy with the room so it gives us options if we do a garden or small pine type tree on the deck directly behind so it gives it less a feel of the height your at. think of standing on the waterfall at say 2ft up, and then direct behind you 3ft drop from the retaining wall. We think the extra space will allow us to not feel so close to the edge.

A few progress pictures from today. They did a ton of work today which is nice to see things progressing. I am not sure if I want them to add a rock to the right side of the waterfall or leave it as it. Also what do I do with the space behind the rocks. I am glad I left that space behind the rock waterfall and the retaining wall but not sure yet what I'll put there. Maybe a nice wood box built to fit to hold toys.

Thought I would post some updated pictures....still not done construction yet. To say that I am pleased with the effort so far would be a lie. The main contract still has a hurt back so that is the cause but he said 3 week build depending on weather...I am at week 6 I think and the weather has never been an issue.

On Monday there suppose to put down the grid for concrete and pour on Wednesday but I see rain on the forecast for Thursday so I doubt I'll have much work this week. So frustrated. After concrete it is liner, equipment and re-grade my destroyed side yard and hopefully be done. I've delayed everything for this build, not putting out our patio furniture or staining my deck do to waiting until there done to see what boards I will have to replace.

They replaced the top step rock as you can see in the one picture. The old one kind of sloped down and I thought it would be unsafe. The new step is pointed so it is almost a half second step now. I kind of like it but might replace that rock after using it for a bit and seeing how we feel.

Waterfall still needs to be backfilled in and grouted/gaps filled with material they use.

Do I rake out all the extra stones before i but down more dirt and grass seed?

pointed first step

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We have the same flat rocks in our pool. I think it's limestone. In any case, these rocks weather and spall off thin sheets when they freeze and thaw so the surface character is always changing. Not to mention lichens and moss that grow on them. I know it's maddening to see this kind of damage caused by carelessness but I doubt if you'll even see it after a short while. I can't think of any way to fix it in the short term other than to replace the rock, something that could be difficult to do without damaging the sheer descent installed under it.

Re: New Build Thorndale Ontario Canada - Inground Pool

Hit it with a bit of gray stain or let it get dirty. It will be less obvious. It's one of those things to put on your side of the ledger in case you need leverage elsewhere but not big enough to worry about in my opinion.

So my pool was completed a few weeks ago. I think almost 3 weeks now, and is about 98% done. The omnilogic salt cell, wifi and other oddities still happen (heated my pool to 95 when set to 86). and my LED waterfall still needs connection. We are having a privacy fence installed now and I'll post more pictures later on.

Thought an update was in order...the pool is functioning well. I still have a few things with my contractor that need resolved such as a temp sensor that definitely had a cold solder joint as it sometimes provides some wonky readings. I'll do an entire new thread about the omnilogic system as a whole. The family loves the pool and so glad we put one in. Once you own you...you always have to have one it seems!

We really like changing the colours of the lights. I thought the fountain light would light up the water more but it still pretty nice. The odd thing is it is the only thing I can't control via my phone. I can turn it on and off but can't adjust the colour of the fountain (it has it's own remote).

I asked for my final bill last week to begin some haggling over the final cost and a few extra's that I'm getting charged for such as they miss measured (his words) my decking and gave me a few feet of extra concrete....then told me they thought that is what i wanted to cover themselves. I noticed the grout in the rock waterfall might need some touch ups due to cracking and discolouration or something organic was in the grout in one spot. Looks great but that will need to be fixed or addressed.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.