New Build in SETX

unrecognized88

Mar 28, 2024
Katy Texas
Hello all - we are nearing the completion of our build here in SETX with startup process ongoing and Pool School scheduled for tomorrow. It’s a 14.5k gallon chlorine plaster pool. No chiller, spa or heater.

I’m going to have these guys maintain for the first 1-2 months and then take over. Some of the things I’ve done so far are:

1. Join TFP and download the PoolMath App so I can keep logs (is this an upgrade to keep logs..?)
2. Read through SOME of the links in Pool School section (so much info..)
3. Planning to purchase the TF-Pro test kit and Betta Skimmer (already have the Polaris Alpha IQ)

Is there anything else I should do to prep? What chemicals should I definitely purchase and have on hand? Thinking about getting a small shed placed on the black start gravel outside of the black enclosure to store the chemicals. Pic with empty space is before the gravel got added. Theres also irrigation valves there in the ground so not sure if this is a good spot?

Equipment:
Jandy 1.85HP FloPro VS Pump (Main)
Jandy 1.85HP FloPro VS Pump (Waterbowl + Bubblers)
Jandy TruChlor Inline Chlorinator
Jandy CV580 Filter
Jandy Aqualink RS4 + Infinite Watercolor LED lights + 300W Transformer
Ultra Quickskim Skimmer

Attachments

• IMG_9291.jpeg
    IMG_9291.jpeg
    739 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_9274.jpeg
    IMG_9274.jpeg
    827 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_8986.jpeg
    IMG_8986.jpeg
    878.5 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

You should not need anything other than the standard skimmers to skim your pool. I suggest that you forego the Betta Skimmer and see how things go.

I have three pools and they all skim just fine using the main pool pump.

Tell us more about what equipment you have, and how you plan to sanitize your pool.

Thanks,

Jim R.

You should not need anything other than the standard skimmers to skim your pool. I suggest that you forego the Betta Skimmer and see how things go.

I have three pools and they all skim just fine using the main pool pump.

Tell us more about what equipment you have, and how you plan to sanitize your pool.

Thanks,

Jim R.
I just figured that the Betta skimmer is an extra layer of protection that will prolong the life of my filter. The skimmers have like a skimmer sock over it at as well.

I just updated my post with my equipment and a picture, and honestly, I am not sure how I plan to sanitize... lol.

Everyone worries over the color of the plaster, or tile, when the most important thing to know is how you plan to add your sanitizer (chlorine). :mrgreen:

We recommend, in order...

1. A Saltwater Chlorine Generator (SWCG)
2. Adding Liquid Chlorine by an automated pump, or by hand.
3. Add Chlorine tablets to a Tab Feeder. (That is what you have, and unfortunately, it is something we never recommend..)

Thanks,

Jim R.

Planning to purchase the TF-Pro test kit
That is by far the best money you'll spend on your pool. Good choice.

What chemicals should I definitely purchase and have on hand?
You'll need muriatic acid (MA). Get the 31.45% full strength. You'll probably need CYA. Have some liquid chlorine (LC) on hand. When you get your test kit and perform your first tests there might be more. Use your kit to test your fill water TA and CH as well. I'd also invest in a high quality pole and brush, such as ProTuff.

Jandy TruChlor Inline Chlorinator
I'd highly recommend getting a SWCG, especially for our climate. It's by far the cheapest, easiest, and most convenient way to chlorinate. I know it's painful to replace equipment since you just finished building the pool, but it's best to "rip off the Band-Aid" now by getting rid of the tab feeder and replacing it with a SWCG.

No chiller, spa or heater.
Heating will extend your swim season considerably. A chiller is very nice in the peak heat of summer. I have a heat pump that does both, perhaps it's something for you to consider.

The skimmers have like a skimmer sock over it at as well.
Disposable hairnets work great.

Exciting stuff eh?

Something that I really like while doing water testing is a bottle that you can control how much water comes out of it. Its pretty easy to overfill a tube and then have to get water out with a turkey baster or syringe or start over.

I use this one and love it because of it's wide mouth. Its quick to fill and easy to get just the right amount of water into your test tubes. Is it a necessity? Not at all, but it sure is nice to have.
There are other less expensive ones, but here is a link to the one I use.

Lots of folks also use old mustard or ketchup bottle. They work very well too.

Welcome!

The summer heat here is no joke. I would prioritize installing a salt water chlorine generator (SWG) before summer begins.

If you choose to manually add chlorine- your pool will likely need at least about 0.6 gallons of liquid chlorine daily in the peak of summer. One gallon at Walmart is about $6 so the cost will add up quickly.

Your SWG will eventually pay for itself. The convenience of a SWG cannot be understated. Skip the Betta if you need to pay for the SWG.

The TF Pro is the best kit IMO. I’d buy it asap, even if the pool company is managing the first 2 months. Personally I would fire the pool company, even if it’s “free”.

Last edited:
Reactions: pjt and Jimrahbe