New build in North Atlanta

Slowly. Previously they said done by Xmas, followed by excuses excuses and more excuses.

Yours looks like it's coming along well. We are also doing umbrella in shelf, no brainier in my opinion.... Also ended up choosing pebble sheen - blue granite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They also refuse to install drainage behind wood retaining walls, everything I've read says this shortens life if wall, they say water will drain through them. Any thoughts...

7000609958efa70624e9cb4746d47eb5.jpg
bf25df1283f297b1b336fd366eb9725f.jpg
fe67b5339270ef9d00286ed495c9d741.jpg

Also, I was going to put some stain on them to protect, they recommended letting them "dry out", is that standard? Seems like sealing sooner than later better, but would like input if anyone has some. Thanks!

A lot of stain manufacturer's instructions call for letting treated wood "dry out" prior to staining. I believe there are some that can be applied immediately, but I think waiting for the wood to be able to absorb more stain is worthwhile.

As for the retaining walls, while the water may drain through the wood you would have been better served with some sort of drainage to remove excess water quickly in my opinion.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I really think there should be some drainage for the wood walls.

Pressure treated woods DOES need to "dry" out before it is stained or treated in any way.

Any way you can replace the clay by the walls with????? I worry it will make such a mess of anything you put there.

Kim

Yeah, not concerned with them screwing up so that's a big plus. They tend to be very disorganized likely due to how busy they are and trying to please all. In sure similar to most builders and home renovations, if it's 50% longer and 50% more expensive than planned then your right on schedule.

I agree on the drainage. Pay extra for it if you have to as they are probably not obligated to do it per the contract. Disorganization is a negative attribute. If they are disorganized and trying to please everyone, usually someone ends up not being pleased.

By the way is that a staircase leading down into the grotto? Looks great!

Thanks for the comments guys.... Yes those are stairs coming out of spa cave/grotto, didn't think would need "more rock" there until realized muddy rain water would fill the spa if we didn't...

PB offered to place catch basins between the two walls, but don't think that will be enough, especially for the upper walls holding back all the earth. All my pool equipment is sitting on the earth held up by these walls so obviously don't want supports to be stressed.
Kimkats- are you referring to the clay above the stone wall? Or above timber walls? I plan on placing some type of ground cover there, probably small pebbles under trampoline to allow decent "drainage". Ha, "drainage" from trampoline to be backed up behind upper timber walls! This project has started to make me a little crazy. [emoji12]

I would want rock behind the walls. It also takes a lot of pressure off the walls. When dirt gets saturated it weighs a ton.

Grab a tag off the wood and see if you can find any manufacturers recommendation on when to stain. I have heard that due to some changes in the treatment process some are recommending that you stain fairly quickly now as opposed to letting the wood weather for several months.

Here is one link that says stain within 6 weeks http://www.yellawood.com/resources/painting-and-staining.aspx

9a9c5ce9fd873913b9baca95f0f84039.jpg

This is the area I was thinking about. I worry that with that much red clay if you did not have LOTS of other "dirt" your rocks/mulch/whatever would get nasty from the clay.

I do not know where this area is. If it is not an area that can be seen..............I just know how "dirty" looking one of my area of white rock got because I did not have enough "clean dirt" under it.

Kim

Ah... That's just that sweet ole southern red dirt we all love so much ... J/k.... It should actually pack down pretty good, don't think that will be an issue , if drained properly that is!

Yes, ours is coming along…slowly. The cold and rain seem to happen on the worst days. Tile is scheduled for Monday or Tuesday but looking at the weather, I'm guessing it will be after that. Stone work is also scheduled to start sometime late next week or the following Monday. Patience grasshopper… At least it's not warm out!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.