New Build in NE FL

Ok! We have resolution and an order placed! Thank God!

I called and talked to PB today to make sure I wasn't crazy with my understanding of the estimates and discuss with him my concerns. He agreed with me and said his office manager was trying to get it all straightened out. However, she is kind of in the middle and doesn't really know what is going on so I said I would speak to the manager at TM that PB office manager was talking to.

So TM manager called me. I made sure to be very nice but explained my frustrations and the things I needed clarification on. I told her how there was confusion from the beginning as I had 2 separate samples sent to me in 2 packages on 2 different days and when I called to figure out what the samples were, no one knew why I had 2 packages. Then the inconsistencies with the estimates, even the phone recording saying different operating hours than the website, etc. I also told her how I had several references from this website about how great they were but the inconsistencies with the estimates and numbers was making things much more difficult.

She was very nice and we were able to have a very productive conversation and she explained that even though the linear footage that was being bull nosed was 130 linear feet, when the fabricator does the 12" side, they charge more. I explained how the estimate I had received that showed 130 linear feet, which is the amount for the sailor border, was listed as bull nose and only 130 pieces, when the previous ones were 130 linear feet but 260 pieces which confirmed the first estimate was the 6" side so the 130 piece one was the 12" side. She apologized again as she understood there was confusion with how those estimates were written. I asked if there was any way to get that price closer to the price it was on the previous estimate. She said she will reach out to the fabricator and try to work on a better price for us.

I told her I appreciated her calling me to discuss everything and working with us. She apologized profusely for all of the confusion and said they will be working to make their estimates more consistent to avoid confusion for their customers and thanked me for understanding. I told her that I am patient and understanding as long as there is communication and thanked her again for calling. She said she will get an updated estimate to me before 5pm today. She did say they sold the last of the French pavers but a new shipment would be in in a few days and she will take stock photos of the new pavers before shipping them.

So less than hour later, I had a new estimate and while she couldn't get the bull nose coping price for the 12" ($8.58) to the same price as the 6" side ($6.98), she did adjust it down to $7.58 which helped. Again, hate to split hairs but the cost difference made the bull nose $1000 more than the flat paver coping. When we decided to go with bull nose, the difference was only $600 more than pavers. The $400 difference pays for more than half of additional labor cost for the travertine.

So yes! I approved the estimate, it is getting ordered, and TM stepped up and took care of the issues and did their best to get the pricing down for us.

In other news with the pool, the additional ledger stone should be here this week and once here, the tile guys will be back to finish installing the stone, grout the tile, install the accent tiles on the steps and sun shelf. Then the decking should be here. That's when the concrete on the existing patio will be partially or fully demo'd depending on what is needed for the grade. Then install coping, decking, then build the screen. Also, once the decking is done, they will build the columns on either side of the wall, put the stone up on there, all coping on spa, wall, and columns installed, and somewhere in there before the decking, the gas conduit will be ran. If no more delays and everything goes smoothly, it should be about 5 weeks to finish. Oh..and thanks to that glass bead post that was made, I am waiting to hear what that costs... $200 would be easy but much more than that and I will likely skip it. But I love bling and doesn't cost anything to ask.

Glad that it worked out for you, now you can take a fresh breath of air and get ready to move on with your project.
Soon this will all be a distant memory and you all will be relaxing pool side in your beautiful oasis

Will, so right you are my man!! I felt like a huge weight had been lifted and I feel very confident and happy with our decisions and changes. Looks like MAYBE we will be ready for a July 4th party? That's my moms bday but July is going to be a tough month around here so we will see. Maybe we will let July be the time where the finishing touches and water chemistry gets ironed out.

So that is what I heard from your area! A sigh of relief when you got the new quote that you could live with!

Good job on you for not making her ears bleed and for her to stepping up and calling! THEN to get the quote so fast! Nice!

:hug: I bet you need that one in real life!

Kim:kim:

Well, it has been since the Saturday before Easter that work has been done here. Every thing came to a screeching halt when we discovered the 2 different color ledger stones that were sent and then subsequently changed the decking.

But the decision on the stone was made the Monday after Easter. All we needed was more of the Sierra Blue ordered and when they drop it off, take back the Oceana. That decision was finalized on April 17th. A month ago. Last week PB said stone should have been delivered last week. Never came.

I sent a text to PB on Monday to see what was going on and now the stone should be here Friday or latest Monday. 5 weeks since the store purposefully sent 2 different ledger stones and tried to pass them off as the same. I asked PB if he knew why it was taking 5 weeks to get this taken care of bc to me, it seems like the store is dragging their feet bc we called them out on being deceitful with the products. No answer.

No update on the travertine yet. Tomorrow will be a week. A new shipment was coming in either end of last week or early this week and then 2-4 days to do the bull nose.

I am going to send PB a text to see if he will at least send the tile guys out before the ledger stone is delivered bc they still have to tile the steps and all and then grout everything. We have to let the glass tile cure for 21 days before submerging under water so every day that passes and the last of the tile isnt laid is that much longer before we can plaster and fill.

So not much of an update. We are now going to be close to 9 weeks of down time. 3.5 weeks delayed to receive the glass tile and 5 weeks if the stone is delivered by Monday. I am just ready for some work to get done.

The store is only a distribution center though not a builder. I just feel like they are not in any hurry to fix the problem bc we realized what they did. I would put money on it that they do this all the time too.

Going to email TM and see what's going on. Hopefully while waiting on the pavers to arrive in port, they went ahead and got the bull nose fabrication completed for the coping.

I am just tired of this dirt and trash pile and also knowing once everything arrives, we could be done in 4-5 weeks.

Almost 4pm and no stone so doubtful it will be delivered today though I can't say I am surprised.

I emailed TM and shipment has arrived and the 6x12 pieces have already been sent out to be bull nosed. Hoping they ship out early next week. I had also gotten an email yesterday that TM is celebrating 10 years and new orders of 1500 sq ft or more get a $100 Amazon gift card. Considering all the confusion and issues and the fact we ordered a few days ago, I emailed asking if we would get the gift card as well. She said she would mail one out so that's pretty cool. Love me some Amazon lol.

Hopefully the travertine will be here late next week or early the following week. Stone I guess will be here Monday so the tile guys will be here then to finish up. So we may have a flurry of activity soon! Yay!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I don't know. Lightstream has very specific installation instructions which involves the shotcrete curing for at least 28 days before placing mortar and then very specific waterproofing, thin set, and grout, and then cannot be submerged under water for 21 days. I haven't seen others mention that with other brands of tiles but given how much this tile cost, we are following the instructions exactly.

Almost all glass pool tile manufacturers and manufacturers of thinset and grout have those same stipulations in their installation instructions. The reason is to ensure a good bond between thinset and tile as the substrate is largely smooth unlike the backs of ceramic and porcelain tiles. Good luck, however, finding installers and builders willing to follow them. We lucked out in that our renovation is taking so long that we are conforming to most of the installation instructions with ease. That said, I wanted expansion joints in my tile but the installers were unwilling (recommendations are expansion joints every 8-12 feet). What could I do? Rural Mississippi is not exactly teeming with experienced glass tile installers. They did at least use a thinset modified with latex additives to allow for some expansion (Bostik brand), although Bostik still recommends expansion joints in their installation instructions.

I spoke to my PB and gave him a print out of the installation instructions prior to purchasing the tile to make sure the steps and materials would be followed as recommended. He also knows I am the type that will be out there checking every step of the way and making sure its being done correctly. He has no problem doing exactly as Lightstream recommends which is why he is going to go ahead and have them install the step and ledge accent tiles before the decking and screen to get the count down on 21 days started.

Correct stone was delivered today. I made sure every single box was the right brand and color. Poor delivery guy had to cut open the plastic wrap and hand me every box for a thorough inspection. Lol Tile guys should be here tomorrow or Wed to finish stone and grouting tile etc. Yay!

Yes I did. There is one corner that looks a little shoddy. But other than that, everything is good to go.

Hoping the travertine will ship out end of the week or early next week.

Cant wait to see my tile grouted as I know it will look better once the white thin set is covered up. I willbe laying low the next couple of days... Had my wisdom teeth out today and the 2nd and 3rd days are always harder before it gets better. Never a dull moment...

I had 4 form but my lower left erupted fully so one day at my previous office, we were slow so I had the Dr go ahead and pull that guy out and stayed at work all day as it was super easy to take out. The other 3 were impacted, the uppers completely in my upper jaw and the lower right was sideways with just the tip poking through the gum. Thankfully being in the dental profession, I am friends with oral surgeons and was able to get these 3 taken out with full anesthesia for 1/3rd of the cost since I don't have dental insurance. Lower right will be the most sore over the coming days bc bone had to be removed and the tooth sectioned into multiple pieces to remove it. But had to get them out bc I need a crown on another tooth but the wisdom tooth was just under the gum and in the way. All side effects of dry mouth from the meds for my back. Ugh.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.