New Build in Lake Nona, FL

Yesterday we made a trek to a stone yard and picked up stone for the waterfall... So at least we have materials. We also have a concept. What we don't have is a design... The masonry/tile guy (a friend) who was going to do this is also a bit stumped at the best way to fit up natural stone to make a pleasant looking cascade. He is great at detail work and building stuff straight, square and plumb... but waterfalls not-so-much it seems.

We have called a guy the stone yard suggested to quote it too. Maybe we'll learn something in the process of getting a quote. The water fall was always in our minds but not really with specifics. I had kind of thought we might always add it later. But since it is so close to the screen enclosure it just became clear we need to figure it out now.

Advice welcome.

[attachment=0:2eui44ct]waterfall.jpg[/attachment:2eui44ct]

Attachments

• waterfall.jpg
    waterfall.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 340
OH! very nice link THANKS!

Today we talked to the guy the stone yard suggested. He explained that in addition to the large natural rocks we bought we will need a few hundred pounds of other stone to help create the structure. That kind of made sense as I've been puzzling how the boulders would ever fit together to make the kind of cascaded stacks shown in those links. He also said that getting it water tight and directing the water is very important.

At this point I'm thinking we are just going to hire this guy and be done with that. It will need to wait until next year because both the local stone yards are closed all next week and we have no time to get the extra materials today.

Last bit of the puzzle will be how to light up this thing. I have another thread on that but still have not figured it out. The stone guy said he plumbs it but will not touch any electrical work.

We found a deal on Craigslist, so now we have a hot tub to go with the pool. We need to get the site level and trim out the electric.
Next week the waterfall guy comes and we might begin moving along again.

[attachment=0:2d1875y9]hottub.jpg[/attachment:2d1875y9]

Attachments

• hottub.jpg
    hottub.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 306
So... for anyone who is following this build - seems like the home stretch now. Monday the mason returns to acid wash and seal the waterfall. Paver guy has a few bits to cut/fit then he will seal the pavers. Screen enclosure next - scheduled for Wednesday. The electrician is waiting on one part supposedly "free" from Jandy (but they need to send it) - but he cannot have more than 1/2 day work left max. After that is plumbing trim out, then plaster, then water...

The landscape architect was just by and said that as soon as the screen is up we can do irrigation and he will submit a landscape design. Whew... that seems like more left than I thought. I hope the checkbook holds up.

After a few false starts... screen work began today.

[attachment=0:36vlztdl]screen.jpg[/attachment:36vlztdl]

The missing electrical doodad is supposed to arrive tomorrow, so hopefully electrician finishes early next week.

I'm starting to get excited about landscaping but DW says we ran out of money for now... :(

Attachments

• screen.jpg
    screen.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 209

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Screens are done now and I'm typing from my (screened) porch.

Electrician just came by to confirm we have all the parts and he will restart Monday. Pavers and coping get pressure washed and sealed Monday. Somehow the waterfall guy got lost (he's supposed to acid wash and seal the waterfall asap).

We need to set a few tile markers on the steps and schedule plaster and then we should be good for water!

Once I get water I guess I'm done with "construction" and need to jump over to backyard oasis - gotta plan landscaping, lighting, outdoor cooking, audio/visual, and a fire pit of some sort. It seems this renovation is going to keep me planning and building for a while - but it sure is nice to have phase 1 completion within sight!

Plumbing trimmed out.
Mason appeared and acid washed the waterfall, needs to come back later and seal it.
Electrician mounted and wired everything but did not have potting stuff with him... after a long debate about what IS and IS NOT part of "all electrical work" he should be back today to pot the ground on the pool light.

However we just found out that the pool alarms are supposed to be inspected PRIOR to plaster and DW is stuck trying to figure out what parts to get for pool alarms, so our schedule may slip until all the inspections are sorted out.

So as this week wraps up I am seeing how doing your own subcontracting takes effort.

The pool alarms are ordered now so they should be here in time for inspection and the OK to plaster.

However the electrical thing we've been waiting for all this time turns out to be the wrong thing. I had honestly not been paying too much attention to all this until it looked like we were stalled. Apparently to save money we spec'd a small automation system that can do 4 lights and 4 valves. Well... we have 3 lights and 5 valves. But... there is a thing to make one valve controller control 2 valves. Now... I'm not at all sure this is a good idea, since the whole POINT of valving it all was to have it all separate? And worse - I have no clue how we add valves for solar to this (and we were VERY clear that we are adding solar heat). In any case... the thing we got will allow us to have 5 lights and 4 valves. So somehow we are getting a new thing but no one knows when.

Here is what it looks like now.

[attachment=0:zgc97q8e]electric.jpg[/attachment:zgc97q8e]

Attachments

• electric.jpg
    electric.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 117
Why do you need to control 5 valves before solar? Do you have a schematic of your plumbing?

Actuators are typically: 1 on pool/spa suction, 1 on pool/spa return, 1 on water feature, maybe 1 on pool cleaner, 1 for solar heater

Back to pool pondering after a break for vacation...

For the valve question... we currently have 6 valves and 5 actuators - set up as a cascade of valves feeding valves.

On the suction side we have:

1. skimmer and drain (or both).
2. drain or cleaner (or both - this is currently manual).

On the return side we have:

1. Main return
2. Sunshelf returns
3. Therapy jets
4. Water feature 1: bubbler
5. Water feature 2: waterfall

Done with a cascade of 4 valves/actuators.

I'm still a bit perplexed as to original design intent here, though I kind of see how it works. Perhaps it will become clearer when it's done and I try to see which combos of things I can program on/off and which I cannot.

Well... the pool build has stalled now - no news on the missing controller part. If that doesn't sort out soon I'll need to go find out exactly why the electrician can't proceed without it, I really get the feeling he has other jobs he is juggling and this was a convenient excuse.

In the meanwhile I was able to convince DW to run the numbers again and find more $$'s. The landscape design is done and we just put a deposit down to order the plant materials. Next up is getting irrigation and final grades done... then perhaps we will have progress that is picture worthy to post here.

Great Build.

Do you happen to know the type of sealer used? I am currently looking into having it done or doing it myself. The contractors that put in my coping can do it, but I was not to pleased with the sample sealing they did.

Thanks!

DJP1812 said:
Great Build.

Do you happen to know the type of sealer used? !

Thanks, so far we are very happy with it.

All I know for sure was that the sealer ended up being a water-based product - the paver guy kept changing his mind about which one would be best and settled on this one because he'd just used it for someone else and liked it. It caused a slight darkening and added a slight sheen. If I find out the brand I'll post that. It was surely a job I could have done myself if I had the time. He did all 2000 sqft we had put in around the house and it took him all day - about half of it powerwash and cut in and half pump spraying.

For the latest build status... part still on backorder. Pool alarms are here so I can tape them up and get the enclosure inspection done. Irrigation and final grading starts Monday.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.