New build in DFW area of Texas

Mar 20, 2017
Sachse/Texas
Hello all, I have started a new thread to document our pool build. It started great, but has hit a huge roadblock (see pics). Also, this may be the most stressful thing my wife and I have ever taken on.

The morning before the dig started:
dFcuPCC.jpg

During the dig:
f1QeXgq.jpg

Dig completed by 6pm. They started about 9am:
SUIosWw.jpg

The next day, initial plumbing and steel was completed!
UVXFrWy.jpg

All was well and on track at this point, then we were 2 days from gunite and we got more rain than I ever seen at this house. It started raining about 2 pm and rained all day and night, hard drenching rain. This was what we were left with the next morning:
tmYvDJJ.jpg

We lost the entire back wall. Actually a little over two feet of earth collapsed into the pool and took the back wall with it. The blue tarp is from the pool builder, but that didn't get put down until the damage was done. The tarp is now preventing the rest of the earth from eroding from behind the pool.

The pool builder keeps saying it's no big deal and we will fix it, but wow that is disappointing to see.

We are trying to keep our spirits up, but it's tough right this second.

I,

That is sad to see but not unexpected with the amount of rain we received...

I'm sure your pool builder has been in this same situation before and will make everything alright.

I think the stress of having a pool built is right up there with death and divorce... and it probably costs more... :p

Thanks for the pics, even the sad ones...

Jim R.

Thanks Jim. Actually thats exactly what the pool builder keeps telling me. He says "it's no problem", "It's not as bad as it looks", "don't worry about it, I will make it right". But, it still stinks. Actually the excavation crew was supposed to be back today to as the pool builder says "reset the pool". But as I am sure you know, we got woken up about 6 am by thunder.... Then it rained for about 4 hours. Man, just can't catch a break.

I promise you it gets a little easier as the build goes on then a little harder again and then all of a sudden BOOM your done. Building a pool definitely test your patience but as you move through different phases the sting of the previous seems to slowly fade away
Keep your head up, all it takes is a backhoe to get your form back and you will be moving forward again :)

Hey IM,

Congratulations on starting your build. As everyone else has already said, this is just a test of your resolve. Your PB has gone through this before and will get you through it. And we are here to listen to you vent, offer advice, and promise that things will get better. Just keep your eye on the prize; you and your family enjoying your pool, and making countless memories. Best of luck!

I would imagine that would be VERY disheartening, but hey, it's just dirt and rebar, right? I'm sure your PB has experienced much worse. Sorry you have to live through it, but thank goodness that's all that happened! Hopefully it will be smooth sailing from now on. ?

Bigwill, Tony, Amy, Thanks for the encouraging comments! That is exactly what we need right now. It is nice to hear from people that have been there and gone through this. We are just trying to keep the finish line in sight!

Our pool was built next to a slope too. I understand how worried you must have been when the rains came. I was worried until the shotcrete.

Question for you: Given that your back bond beam also serves as a retaining wall, is there a surcharge from the slope to require additional steel reinforcement?

Hi LDVpool, yes we are paying extra because of the need for the raised bond beam and the "wing" walls. The beam will be 3 feet above the water level and will run the entire length of the pool and continue approx. 11 feet off either side of the pool (the wings). The right side extends to also serve as a retaining wall but the left side is just for aesthetics to match the right side. We went back and forth a bit over the left side since it isn't necessary for retaining the ground. But in the end we thought the two sides matching would look the best..

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sending dry thoughts your way. Though I'm sure you realize you are doing the best thing to make it rain in your area!

Put a picture of your inspiration pool on your phone's lock screen.

Happy Update!

The excavating crew came yesterday and got us back in business! Although they did have to bring the large excavator which was quite the sight in our tiny yard. We even had to ask the neighbor for permission to take down the fence to get it back there. The good news is the form was fixed yesterday and the steel and plumbing was fixed this morning. We are scheduled for gunite in the morning so more pics coming!
kTcLlU6.jpg

YadmZaK.jpg

pVYqyFH.jpg

Jj9uV5U.jpg

Great news! I'm glad they've got you back on track! I hated seeing the pictures of your cave in, but was glad for you it was the pool builder's job to remedy it and not yours. That was one of my big fears as an owner builder, but fortunately we didn't face that. It's times like these that you can be grateful you picked a reliable builder! Good luck with the rest and may the rain stay away!:)

Good to see things back on track - the rain the first couple of weeks of June was insane. My pool was dug in May 2 years ago - the PB's were so backed up because of the 40 days and nights of rain we had in April of that year.

Question on the rebar and plumbing - I see the second excavator right in there on top of it all during the "redig" did they just haul all of the rebar out and start over or were they able to reuse it? Redo the plumbing too?

Good to see things back on track - the rain the first couple of weeks of June was insane. My pool was dug in May 2 years ago - the PB's were so backed up because of the 40 days and nights of rain we had in April of that year.

Question on the rebar and plumbing - I see the second excavator right in there on top of it all during the "redig" did they just haul all of the rebar out and start over or were they able to reuse it? Redo the plumbing too?

They took out about half the rebar. Pretty much everything around the collapse. Then the steel guys were able to fix the rebar that was under the excavator.

The gunite was today and I will post pics soon!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.