New build in Concord, NC

Thank you TXsunshine! I am thinking the same thing. Honestly - I think I am driving myself crazy with last minute "tweaks!" I joked to our builder that the longer he takes to complete this project the more time I have to be inspired from all the beautiful projects and great ideas from this forum!

I am so excited for you, the location of the pool looks perfect, so serene and peaceful.

So I also was completely torn on the hot tub and couldn't make up my mind either. I finally decided because of location to go with a stand alone, since we haven't finished the decking near the house we haven't finalzied that purchase yet, but I know for us it was the right choice. I can't wait to cozy up on cold nights in November in the hot tub, but still having that option summer nights to run from pool to hot tub. Growing up my uncle lived down the street he had a spillover spa and four daughters. We never went in there, finally about 15 years ago he added a stand alone, and we lived in it after swimming all day. In our neck of the woods it made sense. Again, if I lived somewhere where warm weather allowed for a longer swim season, I would be really torn b/c of the convenience of having it attached to the pool for socialization as well as getting cold! :)

Umbrella sleeves for sure! Make sure to get covers so water cannot collect in the holes. Bases do not always work so.....I will even pick out some pretty umbrellas for you. Make sure to get the ones that tilt.

Autofill??????? I say not as it can "hide" a leak but that is just me.

Kim (who has danced and screamed the debt dance and scream for sure. My face hurts from smiling! My shoulders feel so free!)

Oooohhh! I didn't even think about Autofill hiding a leak! I think we will save that bit of $$ and put it in the concrete deck budget!

That has to be such a free feeling! Congrats to you on paying off your home.

I will go order my sleeves now! ;)

Builder got the pool laid out today and we have white lines in the yard! Please forgive the dirty upstairs window - our upstairs is 1500 sq feet and isn't finished - we built a modular house 11 years ago and just plain didn't need the space at the time...and I guess you see which project won in the last few months of thinking! Pool! :)

Also - all the "treasure" in the outer edge of the photo will eventually be moved away. It's part of my Dad's estate...a wonderful man who NEVER...I mean EVEEEERRRRRR got rid of a thing!! Bless his heart. We had to move it to keep it from getting stolen! Sorry world we live in!!

Whew - rant there over. Hope I sleep a bit - they are going to be here at 6:30am to unload the digging equipment...

Sara

pool umbrella - Google Search

I am hoping this will work. I am loving the cantilever umbrellas I am finding for you to buy! LOL

There are some pretty ones. and they look so nice and can be moved as needed.

SO I see umbrella sleeves IN the pool and a couple of these cantilever for around the pool.

ARE THEY THERE YET???????? It is 7:00 am here!

So sad you had to move that stuff to keep it from getting stolen. Not a happy place to be when you already have some much to deal with.

Kim

Good morning! The toys have arrived!

They got here just before 8am to unload equipment. Then got right down to business! Here's the first bit of soil coming out...

I work from home and am so fortunate to be able to be here for everything...especially raising our 3 kiddos! We are all like kids today, with our faces pressed to the windows! I will not get one bit of work done, I can tell already!

This is so fascinating! They are so precise with the digging, measuring, dig, measure. I have really good feelings about this money pit we are putting the yard! :swim:

Cooler full of Gatorade is much appreciated already as well. Glad for all the good influences here! ;)

Sara

How old are the kids? I would bet they are loving every min of the dig! PLEASE tell me you will let them climb the dirt mountains! Of course not good clothes as you KNOW you will never get them clean again! LOL Tell them Ms. Kim said the could!

Kim

Our son, Kendall is 13 and the girls, Elisabeth and Madison, are 7. Yes, they LOVED the dirt this evening. But it didn't really happen...I didn't take a pic! ;( No worries - I'm sure it will still be around tomorrow...

Here are a few more pics of today...

I felt so badly for them while they were down in the hole. No breeze while they were working in there at all.

Dig, measure, repeat...

Underground power line...that I had to assure them several times...YES, I promise it won't bite you...it's been relocated! :)

Our little Gatorade/Shade area in the background...we wandered in and out throughout the day to watch the progress...

More fun tomorrow - they'll be putting the walls and braces in place...

Sleeping well tonight!!

Sara

I love to see them measuring so often! They might get it right! LOL

You have to understand how often they have been "bit" when a PO was wrong about power lines LOL better safe than sorry for them.

SO glad you let the kids play in the dirt!

Kendall---he was 6 when you had the girls. How neat! He was old enough to help and old enough to understand how his life had just changed! Do they get along? He will ALWAYS be the big brother.

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes - measuring tapes are wonderful.

Oh I completely understand about the power lines. That is NOTHING to fool around with.

My kiddos have a "play clothes" drawer just for these purposes. I never know what pile of dirt or creek or pond they will get into. They love it!

Yes, the girls were born 2 days before Kendall turned 6. He is typically a fantastic big brother. But they all love to irritate each other. Can't wait for the day when I can just throw them in the water when they are getting crabby! Water fixes everything! :)

So today they are putting up the walls. I'm going to venture out in a bit and snap some pictures. Looking more and more like a pool! :)

Good morning!

Forgot to post this one of Kendall at the end of digging day...he is such a laid-back country boy...he'd be happy just as it is - fill it up he said!

They were busy, busy yesterday getting the walls set in place. Still lots of measuring. Move a panel, measure, tie together, repeat. They started on the deep end with the step:

Then the moved right along around the pool with all the other panels

The "behind the scenes" part of this is really interesting to me. The black braces on the back of the wall panels have two metal L-shaped bars each. They explained to me that once everything is perfect and all measurements are correct, level, square, etc they will drive those into the ground. Then will come the concrete footers.

Pipes and conduit were all delivered yesterday as well as the equipment...the fun stuff! :)

Here's a view from the deep end looking toward the house...

And miss Madison got to take a walk in the deep end with one of the guys...he was so kind!

That's all for now. They aren't here today - working on a pool that was to be finished up 2 pools before mine...it was also a vinyl liner pool...and when they were attempting to set the liner in place they discovered that the manufacturer made it for a 8 foot pool...instead of 6! So their new liner just came in and they're knocking that out today.

Hopefully back to work Monday!

Actually kinda nice to have today off...I have GOT to get some work done!

Sara

when I was looking at the pics you posted pre dig I thought to myself, "I hope they know where the power lines are" when I saw the transformer in the first pic. When saw the next pic with the wires out of the ground a small bolt of fear went up my spine. Glad to hear they had been previously moved. How far away from the pool are they now?

Funny story - we built our house 11 years ago...and my husband and I both really thought we remembered where they were. We had a strip of ground that hugged the back tree line where grass has NEVER grown. And thought that was where the lines were buried. Pool builder asked that we "go ahead and call to have them located anyway." So we did. I was shocked when they came and painted that line...right in the MIDDLE of the yard where the pool is now.

The lines are probably 20+ feet away from the pool. They came back out and put flags up when they relocated the lines...

K is 14???????????? What have you been feeding him???????? Glad I do not have to pay for the food, pants and shoes!!!!! LOL

So sweet of the guys to take time for the kids.

I am glad they told you why they would not be there and just did not show up!

Kim

Thank you! We are very pleased so far. The crew has been great - NEAT even! They USE the trash bags that I provide!!

I gotta say - having lurked here for so many long nights and reading - mostly good experiences - but definitely some horror, I have been so nervous! But thankfully I feel like they are doing a great, quality job. And communication has been good.

Yes Kim! Kendall turned 13 in the middle June...and he has always been tall for his age. Can NOT keep him in pants or shoes - you are so right!! He can definitely put it away! Very active and a healthy eater.

Sara

Sara that is so neat to hear that the pool workers are going the extra mile.

Do you have your test kit yet? If not you might want to go ahead and order one. Look in my siggy for the comparison of the two we use and love. The place to buy them is also there.

It will be a blast to teach the kids how to do the tests! I can just see you turning it into a science lessons!

Kim

This builder just finished up a pool for my Mom as well. He provided her with a Taylor 2006 kit. Her pool is basically the same setup as mine, just smaller. It has a SWG and is 15x28. I *think* I will need to purchase an additional reagent to test something...I have read thru so much on here it all runs together! :) So would yall recommend I purchase just the particular reagent I need or go ahead and just buy a complete additional kit?

Yes - definite science lessons for the kiddos!

And thank you in advance for all your help! ;)

Sara

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.