New build, Houston (Cypress), Tx

skylar18 said:
Looks fantastic! You are going to have a bunch of stone to seal! I did 2-3 coats on mine in 6 hours and you look like you got a lot more. You will be happy I think with the Dupont. No water is getting to my stone! 2 months in and my pool is basically taking care of itself, so right now I am glad I went salt. Only thing I am wrestling with is PH. It goes up every day.
Thanks! So far we are very happy. In fact, we're very very happy with our PB generally. We've gotten a bit frustrated at times as we're impatient and want it to be finished but he's doing a stellar job and we are on schedule so we should just let him do what he does and learn some patience!

I reckon it'll be a solid days work once a year to seal it all. I may 'pay' a few mates to come round by providing lunch, dinner & drinks to help me seal it to reduce the time it will take. The stacked stone is the only area that concerns me really. I'm not too worried about the waterfall rock - it's as solid as it comes.

I too am concerned about PH. I think that's what I'll struggle to keep under control. Ordered my TF-100 today (I'd meant to do it earlier but forgot).

A lot of progress was made on the waterfall today - it's really starting to come together. Just a little bit more to do on it. I got home after dark tonight so I'll take photos in the morning. Apparently they're going to start prepping for the deck work tomorrow, which is great. We're also going with the PB to look at a couple of different pools he's built in the area with different wet edge colors so we can make a choice on the finish! Getting towards the final straight!

A few pics from last night and then this morning. The top rocks for the waterfall are going on a bit later. Flagstone steps are being put in today for the steps up to the slide.
Dirt for grading arrived and is on my drive today.

Inside of cave:

Waterfall:

Its looking really good cbink. I like the grotto and imagine that it'll be a great place to relax out of the sun. We have been in the pool non-stop since we got water on Friday night and the novelty is not wearing off anytime soon! I am hoping you are able to swim this next weekend as you deserve it! These projects are a lot of effort making decisions (saving for the darn thing in the first place) and then a LOT of required patience. The end result will be worth all of it!

Thanks sd_dave! It's an agonizing wait... (as you know!)
Fortunately, we have some awesome neighbors who have a pool so we spent the afternoon/evening there yesterday just chilling out with them in/around their pool. They're really great people and it was a lot of fun - looking forward to being able to repay the favor to them sometime soon!
We definitely need somewhere out of the sun to hang out in the pool - it gets full uninterrupted sunlight all day... The hot tub starts to get shade about 45 mins before dark

So on Friday we went and looked at a couple of pools nearby that our PB has built to check out the different wetedge colors we're interested in; Chilean beach Caribbean and Chilean beach Tahoe. Nowhere in the contract did it tell us how difficult a decision this was going to be?!!! My wife and I have debated this for weeks... I left the choice up to her (I have always preferred the Tahoe but don't object to the Caribbean) and she said she preferred the hot tub in Tahoe but preferred the pool in Caribbean so we went with Caribbean. Well on Sunday she changes her mind and calls the PB and changes it to Tahoe. I am of course happy but I'm probably more relaxed about the color than she is so am concerned that when it's in she may change her mind.

As for progress, a clear up team came round with a bobcat yesterday and cleared up all the rubbish, graded the yard back to what it was and removed the big pile of dirt from my driveway which was nice as it was stopping me using my garage and taking up half the driveway.

Deck is scheduled to be poured tomorrow with an outside possibility of it getting done today. The potential delay for us right now could be the slide finishing but the PB is working on that. Really hoping to be in by the weekend but that may be optimistic. We won't be able to swim for 2-3 days after they do the stamped overlay which is being done after the wetedge is applied.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks Ken. We need to see it finished to get a better understanding of how it's all going to look together.
We're going to try and landscape it in - just had the PB leave out a bit of decking so we can plant a shrub on the RHS as you look at it immediately next to the planter which is for a palm.

Currently trying not to spend money on a TV for the patio - it's not looking good so far... Must leave money for plants otherwise wife will kill me... Must refrain from buying TV... Must...

Your comment about the TV made me laugh. I just spoke to my PB about a TV for the pool house. I told him that we would buy as big a TV that we could fit in the area he designed above the fireplace. I told him to keep that in mind. I said it several times. Then in case he was not paying attention, I said if a 60 inch or a 70 inch TV would fit there we would buy one that size. I hope he got the message. Ha! I think I hit him over the head with sledge hammer to make my point.

What was that, you want an 80" TV?! :mrgreen:

I have a 65" Plasma in my media room and it's fantastic, I absolutely love it (I'm a Brit and love soccer and got a Plasma as it's a superior sport watching TV in a room where you can control the ambient light - which I can). The newer LEDs are catching up though now the refresh rate is getting somewhat reasonable and they're far superior in rooms where you have ambient light.

My neighbor has just put in an 80" 4K in his media room and I thought it would feel overwhelmingly big but it didn't. A lot of other families in my neighborhood have put in projection systems with 100-120" screens and although great for movies, they're not as good IMO for sport.

I actually have my wife on side with the outdoor TV - we're thinking 55" LED though I may push it to 60" depending on what I can get at what price. It's in a covered patio but may got some rain if the wind is blowing the rain horizontally so don't want to be dropping thousands on it, just in case it does get ruined. I'm hoping a cover (and then eventually I will build a cabinet around it) will stop that from happening . I'm banking on getting 2 years out of it. If I get that, I'll be happy and it's worthwhile not having bought an outdoor TV.

KenGood said:
Surely a 60 inch is enough. At some point it just seems like someone has a Napoleon complex. Ha!.
60 is a great size. The 65 we have is more than enough, I have no regrets for not going bigger, though if I had gone bigger I'm sure I wouldn't have had any regrets either!

The only reason we're going big outside is we want to watch it from the hot tub and from in the pool so it needs to be fairly large to be able to see it from up to 20 ft away.

cbink said:
The only reason we're going big outside is we want to watch it from the hot tub and from in the pool so it needs to be fairly large to be able to see it from up to 20 ft away.

My plan exactly. Well not exactly. We are not hot tub people. So same plan from floating in the pool.

Got mine in the gazebo just hop out of the pool wrap a towel around me sit next to the fridge and watch TV. COOL especially the beer, spoils it a tad when the kids play on the wII, but they are going back to UK tomorrow :goodjob: :wave:

bof said:
Got mine in the gazebo just hop out of the pool wrap a towel around me sit next to the fridge and watch TV. COOL especially the beer, spoils it a tad when the kids play on the wII, but they are going back to UK tomorrow :goodjob: :wave:

I keep looking for the "Like" button. The closest thing I found was the "report" button. So I am reporting you for having an idea that I like very much. Ha!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.