New Build - At 13 cents per KWH is Variable Speed Worth It

Im also in the VS pump camp. I have an Intelliflo and absolutely love it.
It may not pay back on ROI, but to me there is a lot of value in other features of the pump other than being able to run it slow and save electricy.

Also, depending on the head and losses of the Solar Paneel system, low speed may or may not be able to provide the required flow for your solar panels.
That would take a bit of calculating to figure out if it would or not.

It would however, be no prob at all with the intelliflo. Just increase RPM until you have what you need.

I originally mentioned the IntelliTouch system because you configure the power center with the options and power supplies you need (with perhaps some room to expand) as well as any wireless controls like the EasyTouch or the ScreenLogic systems. That way, everything you need, including the power supply to run the SWG, is all built into one single panel. No need to mount separate controls and power supplies. Just my opinion as I like the simplicity of it all being in one panel.

Good luck!!

Agreed. When starting from scratch it is a good idea to compare prices for intellitouch vs other options plus the power sub-panel. You can run service directly to the Intellitouch and have that as your service panel for the pool and pool area.

Firstly, the VS is the bee's knees, the cat's meow. Having that much control and flexibility over your system's pressure and flow rate really opens up a whole new avenue of coolness with one's pool. Hooray for technology!!!

An old hat I talked to at Pentair suggested I use my filter pressure gauge to set the pump's rpms. I have solar on my roof (purchased in 2005) and that, too, was/is very cool. With the solar off, my filter shows 14 psi with the pump chugging along at 2500 rpm. When the temps warm up, the solar kicks on (this is the ONLY automation I have on my pool and the actuator turns the Jandy 3-way valve) and my filter pressure gauge then reads 16 psi which is 1 psi higher than the tech at Pentair suggested. And in the winter when I close the pool (no freezing here probably like in AZ), he suggested I run the pump at 5 psi, which is about 1300 rpm. Of course, no solar will be on then...just the bare minimum.

As to automation, I can see where having a SWG and some automation to figure out the FC level might make a lot of sense but certainly, it can be done manually. For me to run my attached hot tub, for example, I need to flip one switch (solar), and turn 3 3-way Jandy valves (heater bypass off, suction to spa only, return to spa only). Then, of course, I have to reverse all that to get back into pool-mode.

I think the more stuff you have with your pool like the extras like spas, waterfalls, slides, infinity edge, SWG, booster pump for cleaner, chlorine injection, lights, etc., it probably is a lot nicer to be able to set up various programs through a controller where you can just hit ONE button to kick off a particular program of events. With technology, you certainly have such a luxury. However, it comes with a price and more moving parts possibly so more points of failure and perhaps a touch more electricity. I also don't know if you can tune your valves a bit. For me, I have the return valve set about 3/4 to the pool and 1/4 to the spa so that the spa spill way has water flowing over it. I'm certain you have this ability with automation, too, but something to consider as well.

Oh, another cool yet passive device you can add to your pool plumbing: FlowVis flow meter. I'm pretty sure the IntelliFlo does NOT have any sort of a built-in flow meter although it would have been nice had they had that. I'm sure as part of the automation that you could insert flow meters and/or psi gauges that could be used to further tune your automated system.

Ahhh, technology.... :)

MGmoore7,

It is easy for me to spend your money, but I would recommend a larger SWG. The IC20 is just barely going to work. I would go with the IC40 instead so that you are running it at 20 or 30% instead of 80 or 90%. I too have the Intelliflo vs pump and the Easytouch system. I love them both... I bought them because I wanted them. Do I 'need' them, not at all, but not everything in life is based ROI.

Good luck with your project,

Jim R.

+1. Good catch Jim.

MGmoore7,

It is easy for me to spend your money, but I would recommend a larger SWG. The IC20 is just barely going to work. I would go with the IC40 instead so that you are running it at 20 or 30% instead of 80 or 90%. I too have the Intelliflo vs pump and the Easytouch system. I love them both... I bought them because I wanted them. Do I 'need' them, not at all, but not everything is life is based ROI.

Good luck with your project,

Jim R.

Agreed. When starting from scratch it is a good idea to compare prices for intellitouch vs other options plus the power sub-panel. You can run service directly to the Intellitouch and have that as your service panel for the pool and pool area.

EasyTouch also serves as a single-point subpanel including breaker slots and an SWGC power supply built in (optionally). The main difference from what I've seen is that the IntelliTouch is more expandable and can control more valves etc. I think it all depends on current/future desires for valves/lighting controls and such. Pentair doesn't make it all that easy to compare; I find I have to read through all of the installation manuals online to figure out what the actual capabilities/limitations/differences are in their product lines.

I originally mentioned the IntelliTouch system because you configure the power center with the options and power supplies you need (with perhaps some room to expand) as well as any wireless controls like the EasyTouch or the ScreenLogic systems. That way, everything you need, including the power supply to run the SWG, is all built into one single panel. No need to mount separate controls and power supplies. Just my opinion as I like the simplicity of it all being in one panel.

Good luck!!

Isn't Intellitouch just a upgrade of the EasyTouch... the addition of the software, handheld devices?

Isn't Intellitouch just a upgrade of the EasyTouch... the addition of the software, handheld devices?

Yes. You are correct. IntelliTouch also includes some added flexibility for lighting and lighting dimmer controls and some advanced programming using feature circuits. But you are right, your basic all-in-one control system is the EasyTouch with the correct load center options (power panel and relays).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would suggest a whole house surge protector installed on your main distribution panel. The device costs $100-200. Don't plan on DIY install unless you are very comfortable working on electrical circuits.

I would suggest a whole house surge protector installed on your main distribution panel. The device costs $100-200. Don't plan on DIY install unless you are very comfortable working on electrical circuits.
Thanks, looking into that. . The service provided by the power company says there service is only good for large surge and designed for large appliances. . They charge 6 amonth and 50 install fee. . Seems like a possible rip off

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

There are two whole house surge protectors that an electrician friend mentioned as a best choice for me. Both will fit any service panel with the available space. You need an unused 50 amp 220 breaker, or two openings to install one (and the breaker). Any electrician can install either device in your panel in about 20 min, assuming you have the slots open and the necessary breaker. Search around and you may be able to find better prices on these items, but be careful there are other models of the same brand that look just like these, but don't have the same ratings.

Amazon.com: Eaton CHSPT2ULTRA 120/240V, 1-Phase, 2P, Whole House Surge Protection: Electronics

Square D by Schneider Electric HEPD80 Home Electronics Protective Device - Circuit Breakers - Amazon.com

I like mounting a surge protector as close to the item I'm trying to protect as possible. My set ups all use an EasyTouch panel as a subpanel which provides the power to the rest of the system including the pump. I installed Square D surge protectors that install like a circuit breaker in the bottom two slots.

Surge Protector.jpg

Jim R.

I like mounting a surge protector as close to the item I'm trying to protect as possible. My set ups all use an EasyTouch panel as a subpanel which provides the power to the rest of the system including the pump. I installed Square D surge protectors that install like a circuit breaker in the bottom two slots.

View attachment 42111

Jim R.

It depends on where the surge originates. If it's caused from within your house (as in high load AC or other devices switching on and off) protection that is close to the device is best. If the source of the surge is from outside your home as happens during storms, the closer the protection is to the incoming feed the better. The absolute best is to have both whole house protection and individual surge protectors.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.