New Build - 8 months and counting; what are my options?

@JoyfulNoise: but in CA, the law says that the subs have 20 days from job completion to send a lien notice and 90 days to record the lien otherwise the lien is invalid.

Are you saying he can still record a lien despite missing the time lines? He did his job on August 1st, completed everything on that day, never showed up on my property again. Another caveat is that unlicensed contractors cannot record a lien nor sue even if the homeowner was aware of their license status and fraudulently took undue advantage of them, you can actually sue the unlicensed contractor to recover any money you already paid them.

I did not know that CA law has such strict lien laws...good for you!! It sounds like you will be able to get legal services through your employer and I would wholeheartedly encourage you do so. Only an experienced attorney will be able to navigate all the ins and outs. As well, once you can simply tell all the jilted subs "talk to my attorney" most of them will probably go away as few will want to deal with a lawyer. Their biggest leverage against you right now is fear and ignorance of what you rights are. Like collection agencies, they prey on your fear of being labelled as a scofflaw to force you to make hasty decisions.

Good luck and I hope you are able to clean this matter up quickly.

I can't speak to CA law but in nj I believe any lien filed after the requisite time period is invalid. But be careful. In nj I believe that time period runs from the last time the contractor ste foot on your property to do anything. Check with a lawyer burin would suggest not letting him back on your property for any reason until you do.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.