New build - 18x36

Veccster

Bronze Supporter
Aug 30, 2016
Pittsburgh PA
Finally under construction here in Pittsburgh, PA. We're building an 18x36 vinyl rectangle with cantilever coping, vinyl over concrete steps and several other goodies. 3.5' to 6.5' deep...wedge design (no flat in deep end). Not sure if that wedge design will create trouble for the robot cleaner though...

As it's fall, we're building then closing - so our inaugural swim will be next spring.

The dig started this week...and is full of BIG ROCKS!

Design:
Pool%20Sketch%20-%20North%20Steps_zpsvprqondn.jpg

This is what showed up to dig! They are in for a surprise...
20161031_094741_zpstt1f7z3w.jpg

Had to bring in something a bit bigger once they hit the rocks...
20161031_151559_zps1ikpgfhp.jpg

20161031_151541_zpscejarztc.jpg

Nice new build! Looking forward to following your progress. Yeah, it was a good thought on paper to use the mini machine.

Please add a signature with your pools vitals so we can all get the big picture on your project.

And try to breathe during the process. It will be stressful but hopefully fun and exciting too.

Thanks. I added what I know. It's definitely going to be 18x36 (walls are already delivered and laying in my yard) and use a cartridge filter. Depth will depend on what they hit as they continue digging - hoping for 6.5'. We are planning to buy all Jandy equipment but won't buy until the spring. No sense in buying now and storing in my garage for the next 6 months. I PLAN to add automation and a stenner chlorine pump. Not doing salt but will be plumbed if we decide later (i'd use Stenner for acid).

FUN! Big toys for big rocks! LOL on the baby toy! Did they have ANY idea what they were going to hit? At least you do not need the hammer rock breaker! Will you be keeping any of the rock to make into a climbing area for the kids or to use on your waterfall?

Thanks for letting us help you spend your money!

Kim:kim:

No plans to use the rocks around the pool. With steel walls, you can't put too much weight on top of them. The waterfall will be enclosed in a podium-type structure built out of wood and covered with veneer stone. We're keeping a couple of the rocks for landscaping though. And all my neighbors have been rock picking as well. Not sure how I would use them as a climbing area??? Interesting idea.

I knew it's rocky here but had no idea that was under there....we thought it was mostly clay with some rocks. Not mostly rocks with some clay.

But at least we know our house is on a solid foundation!

With the rocks I am seeing at area by the swing set set up as a rock mountain.........with a area to sit and have snack on the top.

Neat the neighbors are rock picking and you are using it as landscaping!

Or be snacked upon...

It would be really cool to create a home among those piled up rocks for carnivorous reptiles of the suborder Serpentes. They love it when rocks are warmed by the sun and they can sunbathe too!

Well...they are climbing on them already!

There is zero chance the wife will let me stack them or let the young kids climb on them. Instead, we'll use the big ones in our landscaping....they can climb on them there.

20161101_151846_zpsuzmstgji.jpg

And the bad news....they hit solid rock at 5"8 (wall height). So only 5'4" water depth. That is not deep enough for me so they have to bring in a rock hammer tomorrow and chip away to get another 8". I know it's not a diving pool but it just doesn't seem safe at 5'4" of water. And the podium that will be next to the pool (with the water fountain in it) will undoubtedly be used to jump off (despite instructions not to).

Dude you are in SO much trouble in the future with those two cuties! They look full of it and loving every minute of life! SO CUTE!

LOL on the wife not letting you use them as building rocks "ahhhh MOM it will be fun!"

SOLID rock? OH NOSSSSS! yeah time to bring in the BIG toys now. OUCH on the cost though I bet. Better safe than sorry that is for sure!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What if you did a raised beam all around an grade up to deck level? Might be cheaper than picking at rock.

Great thought....thank you. Because the decking will connect with an existing patio...which has a door into our house. We discussed if they could raise it up maybe 2" using this method but the decking would be a greater slope away from the pool....dropping to where it meets up with the existing pad. And that would only get us 2" and not the 8" that is ideal.

And not to beat a dead [emoji206] but you could raise it 1" and do a 7" long step across your decking to the corner of the fire pit area. The step would also serve as a ad hoc seating opportunity. Put some step face lights in and maybe make the steps out of a contrasting paver to the concrete.
But flat is nice too.

Well, we did also consider a step but that is not ideal. In the grand scheme (and cost), the hammer seems like the best option. To be honest, I had a bad experience with the previous AGP that I inherited in the purchase of a home. I have said time and time again, I don't want something that I'll regret or be frustrated with....so I want to do it right. I'll be sure to post up pictures of tomorrows progress as they try to hammer out another 8" or so. Biggest concern now is that the hammer and excavating pulls out rocks that extend beyond the 8" of additional depth we are seeking.

Just wanted to chime in and say I'm glad to see another Pittsburgher on here building a pool! Best of luck with the build, I'll be following the thread.

We're in the North Hills and had 100 swim days in this year. Going to upgrade my heater in the spring and I'm hoping for 120 days next year, it's not a terrible place to have a pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.