new BBB convert - general pre-opening questions

Yeah I know! Seems so unusual to NOT be dumping in a bunch of different chemicals - I don't remember when the pool looked this good, especially this soon after opening. And to be honest, the TF-100 looked very intimidating when it arrived, but it is really easy to use. This all feels too simple, but I am not complaining!

Next issue: I have 2 trees about 10 and 12 ft from the pool. Both now have some roots that have grown under my liner and extend about half way across the pool. I plan to cut one tree down and trim the other, but not quite sure how to take care of the root problem. I thought about digging a small shallow trench about 3 ft from the pool, and cutting out about a foot of all those roots. Is that a good idea? Would there be something I could put on the cut ends leading to the pool that would kill the roots but not leach some chemical through the liner? Is there a better way to take care of this, and hopefully prevent more roots from eventually doing the same thing? So far, no holes in the liner, but I don't want to wait much longer to fix this.