New austin, tx pool startup

Alright my chlorine is stable and my CYA is 35. Should I take it to 50?

Im losing less than 1ppm FC each night and during the day Im losing maybe 3 ppm

what numbers should I focus on now?

My CH was 175 when I opened the pool for the first time.

so it looks like the plaster subs have left white stains after applying the diamondbrite. They did a water wash and then the PB did not do an acid wash or an acid startup.

Im about 5 days in, what are my options now? PB is saying it will go away over time.

As for the CYA I'd bump it up a bit. I aim for 2 ppm loss per day. If you do the math (yes there's math) if you save 1ppm per day that's 37oz of bleach you don't have to add, and over a 6 month swimming season that equates to 52 gallons of bleach you don't have to buy, and that's about $100.00 you don't have to spend. Figure about $10 for the additional CYA and you save $90 by bumping it up.

As for the stains. What type stains are they? Do you know?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Bama Rambler said:
As for the CYA I'd bump it up a bit. I aim for 2 ppm loss per day. If you do the math (yes there's math) if you save 1ppm per day that's 37oz of bleach you don't have to add, and over a 6 month swimming season that equates to 52 gallons of bleach you don't have to buy, and that's about $100.00 you don't have to spend. Figure about $10 for the additional CYA and you save $90 by bumping it up.

As for the stains. What type stains are they? Do you know?
they are the white "scaling" leftover from not washing the cream off completely. there are four areas and they have stream bed water trails cut through them like how rivers leave trails in the desert.

The common solution is for the PB to acid wash, is there anything I can do with water chemistry to fix this?

They actually dont bother me that much , except that the PB is being sloppy.

i have things pretty well stabilized with pH and FC and now Im moving on to the other things

Here are my test results from this morning

pH 7.4
FC 5
TA 70
CH 160
CYA 50
CC 0
Pool is clear and Im losing less than 1ppm overnight

My build is new and I was wondering if I need to raise CH or if it will go the extra 50-75 by itself. Is there anything wrong with having a CH that is a bit low?

Also I mentioned to my neighbor that I had fc at 5 and they said that is too high, they keep theirs around 1-3ppm. One uses an ozone (keeps FC at 1ppm) the other uses pucks (3ppm), but backwashes once a month so doesnt seem to have CYA problems. Does this sound right?

Im still calibrating but right now Im adding 2.25 ppm/day to try to keep things steady in the texas sun. Im not 100% sure what im losing yet. Any suggestions on the best way to calibrate the stenner pump to match the chlorine loss. Right now I have it at 10gpd. My timer is mechanical and can only do 30 minute (about .75ppm) increments so my thought was to start it high get close with the timer at 1.5 hours, then reduce by turning down the gallons per day from 10 to maybe 9 (I think I get .12 ppm increments on the pump itself)

How old is your pool? If it's a month or less, I wouldn't raise the CH just yet.

Your logic on the injection pump sounds right. Get as close on the high side as you can with the timer and then turn down the pump. At 1½ hours run time, one "click" on the Stenner is about 8 oz of bleach which is about .2 ppm FC for a pool your size.

If you're losing just over 2 ppm FC per day that's pretty good.

So the plasterers left my diamond brite with tons of trowel tracks and drips. The PB is acid washing today (The diamondbrite is about 30 days old). He is taking the pH down to 5 for 1-3 days. I am supposed to brush twice/day.

Is this reasonable?

<edit> he isnt really acid washing, he is doing the equivalent of an acid startup <edit>

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.