New AquaBot Rapids XLS and 4WD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly my thoughts. I suggested the silicone to the manufacturer, no response. I keep forgetting to try it, but plan to. Otherwise it's perfect.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

As a follow up, I siliconed the filter to the plastic, and it didn't stick that well. Doesn't take much of an unstuck area to get crud between the filter and plastic, and then it's real difficult to clean. Could easily be done in manufacturing with a plastic weld, but really not worth messing with.

Other than that I run it 3 hours once a week, and picks up everything it needs to. It plus a Poolskim, keeps my pool clean and clear with much more free time to swim (or do other things around the house). Not a great wall climber, but there's really not much to pick up on walls.

:-D :-D I purchased the Aquabot Rapids 4WD and have used it all season. :-D :-D
Thrilled with the function and operation. Cleanup is so easy compared to the Aquabot Tempo I had previously.
The Crud that gets stuck behind the intake is a bit of a task to clean out but the silicone someone suggested is a great idea.
I bought this one because:
1. My Tempo died end of last season. I was happy with it except for a few problems (i.e. getting stuck on drain)
2. Just replaced the pool liner this year
3. Filter cartridges rated at 1micron
4. Climbs walls.
5. Big wheels to prevent getting stuck in corners or on drain.
Family has never seen the pool stay so clean all season, and now when leaves are starting to fall into the pool, it still keeps the bottom and sides clean. :-D

Another follow up. I am THRILLED with my AB 4WD. Acorns started falling last week... they "covered" the floor of my pool this morning, not loads of them, just spread out all over. Ran my 4WD for 3 hours and there's not one on the floor! Much better coverage than I'd been thinking.

AB4WD.jpg

Ok I've had my 4WD Breeze for a few months now. I've not had the best of luck. For one the cord gets twisted very bad. This limits the unit to one side of the pool. Untwisted the cable is a bit of a pain. Also there is a plastic piece at the end of the scrub bar. This is the piece that locks in the bar it popped out and I can't find it.

It did well picking up debris, but the cord issue does suck. I think because it only turns in one direction. I need to call aquabot and see about a replacement piece.

My cord hasn't been twisted yet. My outlet is near pool center, where I drop the AB. I have 20' of cord rolled up and secured with a cable tie (30' is all I need starting at center). Just loving this thing. Here's one more week of acorns. It missed 3 in the shallow end:

Acorns.jpg

OK have had the AB breeze for 2 weeks now 4 wheel drive model, and first impression were mixed at best. The machine would work as described actually worked very well climbed all walls to water line, and covered low and deep end picking up everything in its path. After about say a hour or so the machine would no longer climb walls and stayed in the deep end primarily. So I called the customer service at Aqua bot and really had no help what so ever actually they were rather rude and short leaving me with just send it back for possible repairs. So I investigated further with taking the machine out and cleaning the baskets and to my surprise these baskets were extremely clogged with sand and silt, oh and lots of dog hair yes two yellow labs actually own this pool not me, I just pay the bills lol. After cleaning the baskets and dropping this thing back into the pool it performed fantastic again. These baskets are a 2 micron mesh and get clogged fairly easy with stuff I cant even see Being my water is fairly clear. Aqua bot has no other size baskets at this time but my second call spoke to Jeff in the sales Department and he was extremely helpful and did advise they were working on other size baskets being one for large debris IE leaves and egg corns of the such. The smaller micron basket being for silt,sand and hair dog that is. The interesting thing is Aqua bot makes the I robot merra this thing is identical to the breeze 4 wheel drive, even has two style of wheels and baskets to choose from, one 2 Micron and the other a 70 Micron.

All in all Im very happy with the maching and will wait it out for the other baskets to come out. This thing does work very nicely even climbs the steps.

I have the AquaBot Rapids XLS, and I love it. With a mature oak, my baskets often look like tcat's.

When I first started using it, the cord would get twisted. My electrical outlet is at one end of the pool, so I wasn't dropping the robot in at the center. My pool isn't that long, and I switched to running the cord alongside the pool until I reached the middle of it, and then dropped the cord into the water at that point. Now, it works like a champ, and the cord doesn't twist.

Also, I was clearing a swamp when I first used it. The amount of fine particles clogged the baskets quickly. Like steve23 experienced, my robot doesn't climb well when the cartridge screens are clogged. Rinsing them restores it's climbing ability. However, now that the water is clear of gunk, the acorns, leaves, and sticks don't bog it down at all. It was only when clearing the water of the finer particles that would coat the mesh that it had problems.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Wrong, wrong and wrong. It works,I know it works as I beta tested the original cobia cleaner with salt generator. It chlorinates most of the day and cleans like every three days. For the price of 950 or so,I think it's a pretty good deal. The biggest problem beta testing is the salt cell would burn out very quickly. This was 3 year ago. If they figured out how to make the cell work longer, it's a no brainer. You could run your filter much less,save money on the pump, chlorine etc.

mpk1970 said:
caycarem said:
hmm...I think I bought the wrong 4WD....this is the 4WD I want:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riA_tbn1Rac

This might be the worst idea I've ever seen in the pool business.

1. If you simply run the unit when you need to clean your pool you will have absolutely no chlorine available and your pool will look like green slime (algae) in two weeks.

2. In order to get proper chlorination you will need to run the unit 8 hrs a day.

3. I have a salt chlorinator/salt water pool. You have to run your pump 8 hrs a day so that the "cell" can create the chlorine.

4. What idiot would make a salt cell within your pool cleaner? Doesn't even make sense as additional salt chlorinator because you don't need additional salt in pool. I put salt 1x every 3 months or so. Just a bag or two. The cell does the rest.

5. Additionally the cell is so small you probably can't even properly chlorinate a Mr Turtle pool.

6. If you have chemical chlorine pool then again this salt pool cleaner won't do a thing.

Please everybody don't even consider this POS. just buy an aquabot AWD if you like the unit. If you want a saltwater pool buy proper freestanding equipment not directly linked to your pool cleaner.

wow!!!! A lot of good info to digest. My pool build has not started yet. It will be mid february. I have done a ton of reading and research on bots. I wanted to get a head start on buying one for the new pool. My PB uses 100% Hayward equip. So I asked him what bot he recommended?. To my surprise it wasn't a Hayward bot, It was the Aquabot Surpreme. It thought is was the best hands down with much more suction and cleaning power.So, having said this, I am still on the fence about my selection. I do like what I am hearing here about the 4WD though.

Tcat,

The brushes are static- they do not move at all....they just sweep across the bottom so they should last longer.
It has no problem going up the cove area and near the steps. They key is to figure out which setting on the steer axle works for your pool geometry.

Once I dialed mine in- I have had excellent cleaning results. It moves! a lot of water, very strong suction!

The breeze and the rapids are almost identical, with the exceptions you listed above. The rapids being more of a Brick and Mortar store series.

I just bought my rapid 4wd and this thing is great. just not sure what to do with those 4 foam blocks and how to place the foam blocks . i have two together on the top of the plastic thingy and there are two empty spaces. please help

I just bought the AquaClean EZ, which is a re-branded breeze or Rapids 4wd. I am having a problem with the robot going down into the deep end and not being able to climb back out? Has anyone had similar issues? Was really excited about it, and cleans well where it goes, but it will not get to all of my 20x40. I have a 9 ft deep end that is extended for the diving board. It won't make it back up the slope all the way. Any advice/help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Bump, I'd hate to pull the trigger on one of these and then find out that after a year the love is gone!

I'm about to order a AB Rapids 4WD and I just wondering if all you guys that bought this or the Breeze 4WD are still in love with them?

BTW: for those guys looking for 4WD parts their on pages 44 & 54 http://www.aquabot.com/Support/Catalog-Download/

I just bought the BREEZE AWD 2 weeks ago.. Only paid $649 with free shipping. I LOVE THIS THING!! I have an inground kidney shaped and it works flawlessly.. I should have done this years ago.. This cleaner will not let you down.

Had mine a year and still love it. After a good wind, lots of small oak branches, leaves, and other **** on the bottom. Filled both baskets and pool bottom is spotless. This and the poolskim are my two best investments for labor saving and clean pool.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Had mine a year and still love it. After a good wind, lots of small oak branches, leaves, and other **** on the bottom. Filled both baskets and pool bottom is spotless. This and the poolskim are my two best investments for labor saving and clean pool.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Tcat
thanks for the feedback

I just ordered the Rapids 4WD and cant wait to get it. I have a whole bunch of trees around the pool and every AM I'm the pool boy cleaning the tree **** out.

this was taken a couple of weeks ago during the paver install & even though we cut down a bunch of trees there are still plenty left

IMG_0503_zpsb8f21799.jpg

Ok, so after having the Ribids4WD for only a day I’m feeling real good about the little guy. I gave him a trial by He!! because of all the leaves, sand etc in the pool.
As the pool was filthy I had to clean out the sand from the baskets often, I should of vac’d the pool more before sending him to the front, but I really wanted to see what he would do

I did have to add the foam blocks to make him turn as well as once he got too much sand in the baskets he started doing mini wheelies from the extra weight.

But the effort to clean the baskets is so much better that cleaning the filter bag of my old AB Turbo.
I hope im still in love a couple of weeks from now

BTW: I found a Place in Brooklyn for $619 plus tax for me in NY, so total delivered was less that $680.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.