New AGP Install (Hampshire, IL) Started April 2016

Kim,

We are all over the board on what to do under the deck. I am going to have a 2' mulch bed with flowers and bushes around the pool. We are toying with the idea of just planting boxwood bushes along the line of the deck and over time just making a nice hedge. I like how lattice looks but it is a lot of maintenance and makes it hard to get under the deck if needed.

I was thinking something like this:

I welcome any ideas though! I am not a "gardener" but I do like some green and color seeing we have such a big deck.

We have the plastic lattice and LOVE it! We got the white. Spray some 50/50 bleach water on it and it is clean for a long time. I can't grow plants :( Now give my a puppy and you will have the biggest dog you have ever seen but a plant??? Dead within a month :(

BUT I do LOVE both of the plant ideas you shared! Hummmmmmmm THICK pine straw under the deck or nice pea gravel with the plants in front of it. THAT would be pretty! Just know you have to keep it shaped up with trimming.

Kim:cat:

Kim,

The maintenance is the only hold back... I know it will look good for a year and then it will be the decision on the weekends to go swimming in the pool or landscaping... I guess atleast I don't have a whole lot of grass to mow now... Decisions.... Decisions... I like the PVC lattice idea though, I looked at that on one of my many hardware store trips. Might buy a piece and see what it looks like.

Nate - everything is looking great. Blue barn nursery in Sycamore/Genoa area, Jim I believe, might be a good asset to come and look at your landscape. He did our's at a previous house. We told him what we wanted and noted our small budget and he picked low maintenance, but several bushes/trees. We moved forward with his drawing and most of his suggested plants and then added a few more ourselves over the next year or so. He owns his nursery so I don't think i could have done half of what he did for the money myself.

Also, you can use the "effects of adding chemicals" at the bottom of the Poolmath tab to see what MA/dry acid will do to your TA. Always nice to be able to confirm your test results.

Nate - everything is looking great. Blue barn nursery in Sycamore/Genoa area, Jim I believe, might be a good asset to come and look at your landscape. He did our's at a previous house. We told him what we wanted and noted our small budget and he picked low maintenance, but several bushes/trees. We moved forward with his drawing and most of his suggested plants and then added a few more ourselves over the next year or so. He owns his nursery so I don't think i could have done half of what he did for the money myself.

Also, you can use the "effects of adding chemicals" at the bottom of the Poolmath tab to see what MA/dry acid will do to your TA. Always nice to be able to confirm your test results.
Thanks for the contact, we will keep him in mind when we get quotes.

I will try that out on the pool math, didn't scroll down that far and missed that section!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Railing is almost done! I am not going to know what to do with all my time when this deck is done... Just a few more days and we will have most of the project done, then I will get to enjoy the pool on the weekends (and I am sure I will
find more projects...). Just need to finish the top rail, I am going to add some type of gate/ladder in my railing so I can get to my pump without having to walk all the way around (after the stupid railing went up I can't lean over and turn my pump on and off anymore), install the lighting, something around the deck / landscaping, and put up the shade sails I bought. Lastly depending on how much wood is left over I am going to build a storage bench and a little tiki bar.

Also happy to report my TA is down to 190 now! Making progress!!

Pictures, Enjoy! The taller posts have lights installed on them and the green tent is temporary until I get the shade sails up.

NICE JOB! That looks awesome!

I would LOVE to see the lights on the tall posts on at night. I bet they look great. what a neat idea!

I hear you on the gate by the equipment. We had to add stairs to that area as well as a gate and railing :shock: they kind of "forgot" to put railing all the way around the deck! (nothing was "finished" with ANY projects he did)

At least you can jump in the pool when ever you get hot and want to cool off!

NICE JOB! That looks awesome!

I would LOVE to see the lights on the tall posts on at night. I bet they look great. what a neat idea!

I hear you on the gate by the equipment. We had to add stairs to that area as well as a gate and railing :shock: they kind of "forgot" to put railing all the way around the deck! (nothing was "finished" with ANY projects he did)

At least you can jump in the pool when ever you get hot and want to cool off!

Thanks Kim! Its hard to work out there now and not want to jump in my crystal clear TFP water! I am hoping to get the electric done tonight so I will post some pictures. I am going to have barn lights on each post and these LED flood lights I found. You can use a remote and make them any color in the rainbow. So I think that will be a cool effect! I was trying to use the auto vac yesterday and my third trip down to the filter I was trying to figure out how to "remove" that section of railing!

I had a bucket for me to use to help me get down to the equipment BUT when it turned over as I was stepping down on it that was the end of that! Hubby went out right then and bought the stuff to make steps for that area! The air was BLUE for a few mins after that! LOL

I had a bucket for me to use to help me get down to the equipment BUT when it turned over as I was stepping down on it that was the end of that! Hubby went out right then and bought the stuff to make steps for that area! The air was BLUE for a few mins after that! LOL

Ouch!! That's one way to get some stairs....

We are wanting to do a deck right up to the edge of our pool like yours, but not sure how we would access and remove the caps to change the liner since ours is buried. Do you have access from underneath the deck?
We have about 3-4 foot access under the deck. You can frame the pool with decking and then you can remove those pieces if you need to. We almost did but I figure I will just remove a few deck boards if needed. Our deck goes up to the cap so we would just need access to the post caps to remove. It wouldn't be fun but we could remove those boards in a few hours if needed. Just make sure you buy good screws. We got the premium ones with the Torx heads.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.