May 1, 2022
Maine
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Good Morning!

I have already learned so much from reading the forum, but I still feel a bit overwhelmed with opeing my pool for the first time this year. We got our 21ftt, bleach based, round AG pool late last summer and didnt really get to use it much. After reading though the Pool school and forum I felt confident I could do it myself, but now that I started the process I feel abit overwhelmed.

I ordered a TF-100 test kit which was supposed to arrive yesterday but it got delayed until Monday. Thinking I was getting the test kit, I hooked up the pump and filled the pool with well water (only about 1/3 needed to be filled). The water got an orange tint from the iron in our well water. I'm not sure what I should do until I get the test kit. Should I add any checmicals before testing tomorrow? Should I leave the pump running? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for all the knowledge and advice!

I'm not sure what I should do until I get the test kit.
Polyfill ASAP! Stuff some in your skimmer basket(s) to try and capture it now while it's precipitating out. The more iron you get now the better. New water has no stabilizer in it (CYA), so add 30 ppm worth of stabilizer via the sock method. Use the PoolMath APP to help you with dosage as needed. Add about 2-3 ppm worth of liquid chlorine today, then tomorrow do the same. Later you'll balance the FC to the CYA as noted on the FC/CYA Levels to prevent algae. When you get the test kit, post a full set of results and we'll help you from there. But definitely filter as much iron with polyfill as you can.

Polyfill ASAP! Stuff some in your skimmer basket(s) to try and capture it now while it's precipitating out. The more iron you get now the better. New water has no stabilizer in it (CYA), so add 30 ppm worth of stabilizer via the sock method. Use the PoolMath APP to help you with dosage as needed. Add about 2-3 ppm worth of liquid chlorine today, then tomorrow do the same. Later you'll balance the FC to the CYA as noted on the FC/CYA Levels to prevent algae. When you get the test kit, post a full set of results and we'll help you from there. But definitely filter as much iron with polyfill as you can.
Thank you!! I will get the polyfill in this morning! Do you just stuff it in the skimmer basket?

Also as far as the CYA, I put some in last year, does it survive the winter? Since I only drained about 1/3 of the water to winterize it would there be any left in the water when I opened this year? Should I still put in 30ppm today? I hope that makes since.

Also, should I keep the pump running 24/7 until I test?

Thank you again!

I will get the polyfill in this morning! Do you just stuff it in the skimmer basket?
You can. Or if you have a thin netting put in in that as well. But it should be okay just in the skimmer.

I put some in last year, does it survive the winter?
Oh, okay. In that case wait until you get the kit and can test.
should I keep the pump running 24/7 until I test?
For now yes since the main goal is to filter as much iron through polyfill as possible.

I'm on it! Thank you for the help. I will post the full results from the water testing tomorrow.

Should I still add the liquid chlorine today?

Should I still add the liquid chlorine today?
Yes, but only about 2-3 ppm worth since we don't know your true CYA. If the CYA is zero, the chlorine will be quite strong unbuffered from stabilizer. So until you can test everything, only 2-3 ppm worth.

Reactions: Mdragger88
I got my test kit today and did my first test, here are the results:

FC: 1
CC: 0
TC: 1
PH: 7.5
CH: 225
TA: 100
CYA: 20

Please let me know how these look and what I should be adding. I will also plug these numbers into Pool Math

Thank you!!

I would add 10 ppm worth of stabilizer (sock method). You should have a minimum CYA of 30. At the same time, add some liquid chlorine to the water to get it to about 3 - 4 ppm. Everything else is fine for now. Tomorrow watch the FC. Continue to maintain an FC somewhere in the 3-5 range until we see how the colored water begins to react. Hopefully the polyfill continues to pull out some iron.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would add 10 ppm worth of stabilizer (sock method). You should have a minimum CYA of 30. At the same time, add some liquid chlorine to the water to get it to about 3 - 4 ppm. Everything else is fine for now. Tomorrow watch the FC. Continue to maintain an FC somewhere in the 3-5 range until we see how the colored water begins to react. Hopefully the polyfill continues to pull out some iron.
The polyfil has worked great! The pool went from a brownish tint to clear water in 24 hours. Should I keep the pump running with the polyfil?

Also, the sock method; do I leave the sock in overnight? Or does the stabalizer dissolve quickly?

Should I keep the pump running with the polyfil?
If there are no signs of iron suspected in the water, then no. Now you can just balance the water like normal. Your pH is in great shape. Once you increase the CYA slightly, just be sure to maintain the proper FC level based on the FC/CYA Levels. Nice work!

If there are no signs of iron suspected in the water, then no. Now you can just balance the water like normal. Your pH is in great shape. Once you increase the CYA slightly, just be sure to maintain the proper FC level based on the FC/CYA Levels. Nice work!
Also, the sock method; do I leave the sock in overnight? Or does the stabalizer dissolve quickly?

U want to squeeze the sock every now & then to help it dissolve - be sure to leave it where it doesn’t rest on the pool wall/surfaces. A couple pounds usually takes a few hours to dissolve.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Many find it helpful to sit it in the skimmer for a bit & let it get squishy then hang it infront of the return & squeeze. Be sure to tie the sock/pantyhose/skimmer sock closed & secure it so it doesn’t fall in the pool or get sucked in the skimmer incase of basket failure (i use a large binder clip)

Many find it helpful to sit it in the skimmer for a bit & let it get squishy then hang it infront of the return & squeeze. Be sure to tie the sock/pantyhose/skimmer sock closed & secure it so it doesn’t fall in the pool or get sucked in the skimmer incase of basket failure (i use a large binder clip)
Much appreciated advice, thank you!

Do I need to lower my TA? It was at 100 last night when I did the test. Pool math says its too high.
A high TA will force your pH up. To bring either your TA or your pH down you will need to add Muriatic Acid (don’t use dry acid), so it is easier to watch/manage the pH and let the TA go down as you manage the pH.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.