New Above-ground pool owner: Can someone direct me to the "How to NOT mess up a good thing, for dummies" section?

LuckyStiff63

Jul 29, 2022
Savannah, GA area
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
Greetings all, from the (mostly) sunny Savannah, GA area.

I'm an avid DIY type, who is stumbling through my first "real" pool experience. I've worked as an aircraft technician, Electronics tech, and a Systems Analyst, all of which might be helpful here, but I'm basically at a kindergarten level in the specifics of most pool-related subjects.

We've owned the 8-10ft inflatable ring "kiddie" pools for the last 3 years, and I struggled to keep the water clean & clear even at those small scales.
But this spring, we found what currently passes for a "good deal" on a Coleman Power Steel (made by Bestway) 18ft dia x 48" deep above-ground pool.
Knowing the filter/pump units that ship with these are generally worse than useless, I also ordered an Intex 26679EG Pump, Sand filter, and SWG system, which worked really, really well. <Wait for it... Waaaaiiit for it...> for SIX WHOLE WEEKS of pretty lightweight usage <slow clap for Intex>! Then it suffered some horrible, digital control system failure that left the pump motor D.I.W. So, back to WalMart it goes, and thank God for their easy return policy!

Now my education in what I should have ordered in the first place begins, with a sense of urgency bordering on frenzy that only those whose grand-kids can't swim "for awhile" might completely understand.

Last edited:
Thanks, Tex. (Can I call you "Tex"? No disrespect intended, it's just a lot easier to type in on a phone than your full name.)

Sorry for the delay in responding, I've been focused on getting (and now possibly returning) Hayward equipment to replace the failed Intex unit.

I decided on a Hayward W3S180T93S ProSeries 18 In., 1.5 HP Sand Filter System for Above-Ground Pools , and their Aquatrol SWG system. I know the 1.5hp pump is overkill for this pool, but we hope to upgrade to a larger, rectangular aboveground pool within a few years, and hopefully that pump/filter combo will be a good fit when we do.
Unfortunately, both the Pump and the Aquatrol control cabinet were damaged before they were packed for shipping, so I'm waiting on a response from the vendor about a return or replacement.

In the meantime, the pump & filter are keeping our water circulating and well-filtered, and I'm adding chemicals as needed until we get a resolution on the Aquatrol.

Strangely, the biggest problem I've had is finding fittings that adapt the standard 1-1/2" & 2" NPT threads on the Hayward equipment to whatever whacky, non-standard threads the pool manufacturers seem to be using. The ones available on Amazon all seem to reduce down to 1-1/4 inch i.d. hoses, which I'm not sure my new pump likes very much. I guess I should look for a TFP thread on pool plumbing and look around there, eh?

I've subscribed to the Pool Math app, and I'm figuring it out as I go, adding test results and logging chemicals added. It's a handy app to have right there with me when I'm working on the pool, especially since I don't currently have an SWG system replenishing chlorine for me.

I'm heading to my account info now, to add my pool details to my sig.
Cheers!
- Lucky

the biggest problem I've had is finding fittings that adapt the standard 1-1/2" & 2" NPT threads on the Hayward equipment to whatever whacky, non-standard threads the pool manufacturers seem to be using.
That's a common issue when mating standard fittings to the proprietary manufactures like Coleman, Intex, Bestway, etc. I know we have threads about those specific adapters, but I'll tag @Mdragger88 and @kellyfair to see if they have those bookmarked somewhere.

If u want to use standard above ground hoses like this—> JED Pool Tools 60-345-06 Deluxe Filter Connecting Hose for Swimming Pool, 1-1/2-Inch by 6-Feet https://a.co/d/5kAJB7S
With the best way/intex style fittings on the pool side (if they are the ones with the big nut on them) u can use these —> Intex Replacement Hose Adapter A w/Collar for Threaded Connection Pumps (2 Pairs) - 4 Pieces https://a.co/d/fb8MiLm
Otherwise many have just converted their pool side proprietary fittings to a standard Hayward return & added a skimmer instead of the proprietary intake - with a kit like this when using standard above ground pool equipment
👇
Hayward SP1091LX Dyna-Skim Above-Ground Pool Skimmer https://a.co/d/eS3aFxs
The returns can also be bought separately
U can also use these depending upon what u wish to do 👇
GAME 4560 40mm to 1 1/2 Inch Conversion Kit (For Intex & Bestway Pools) https://a.co/d/fCP19Ox
There are also options for making your own adapters - i believe Kelly did that & can elaborate.
There are several options just do a search 🔍 on this site for “intex conversion” to get an idea of how u want it turn out & see pics