New 3-Port Diverter Valve Leaks

WardL

Apr 2, 2015
Camarillo, CA
I wanted to heat the pool with solar while at the same time, heat the spa with the gas heater. The Filter pump is configured to heat the pool or the spa. When the spa is heating with the filter pump, you can't use the solar panels. I have a Feature pump that normally just circulates the pool water, separate from the spa. I installed two 3-Port Diverter Valves, 2" x 2.5" (Pentair 263028) and some piping to allow the Feature pump to heat the pool with the solar panels independent of the Filter pump. Now when I turn on the spa mode to heat the spa as in the past, the level in the spa slowly drops. It will eventually drain the spa completely (I should mention, wife not happy?). Since the only change is the new diverter valves and I believe they are leaking spa water back into the pool. I have inspected the new valve internals, and everything is clean, the valves look new, as they should. There are numerous other ways spa water could leak back to the pool. I've checked the internals of those valves too and they look normal. It is a complicated system and difficult to explain all the details. I think the question is, how much do pool valves leak? Is my loss in volume somewhat expected? I don't think it should be expected as the original identical valves do not leak. Thoughts and what the next steps I should consider are appreciated.

Returning the valves are not really an option as they are glued in, and I bought them 1.5 years ago. I bought them and they sat in my garage for a while...

To confirm, when in Spa Mode - it is only the filter pump and there is suction from the spa and return only to the spa.
A picture would help as hard to visualize where the spa is connected to the pool other than the 3 way valve that moves when going from Pool mode to spa mode.
The good thing about the Jandy valve is that you can remove the internal valve and replace it. Sometimes grit gets lodged in and may cause a small opening for bypass. You can normally just clean the valve and replace or you can purchase a new one and replace it.
Be sure to lube all oring on stem of valve and on valve cap.

I wanted to heat the pool with solar while at the same time, heat the spa with the gas heater. The Filter pump is configured to heat the pool or the spa. When the spa is heating with the filter pump, you can't use the solar panels. I have a Feature pump that normally just circulates the pool water, separate from the spa. I installed two 3-Port Diverter Valves, 2" x 2.5" (Pentair 263028) and some piping to allow the Feature pump to heat the pool with the solar panels independent of the Filter pump. Now when I turn on the spa mode to heat the spa as in the past, the level in the spa slowly drops. It will eventually drain the spa completely (I should mention, wife not happy?). Since the only change is the new diverter valves and I believe they are leaking spa water back into the pool. I have inspected the new valve internals, and everything is clean, the valves look new, as they should. There are numerous other ways spa water could leak back to the pool. I've checked the internals of those valves too and they look normal. It is a complicated system and difficult to explain all the details. I think the question is, how much do pool valves leak? Is my loss in volume somewhat expected? I don't think it should be expected as the original identical valves do not leak. Thoughts and what the next steps I should consider are appreciated.

Returning the valves are not really an option as they are glued in, and I bought them 1.5 years ago. I bought them and they sat in my garage for a while...
Is there a filter on the feature pump circuit? If not, you should not be running that water through the solar panels, they can get clogged.

To HermanTX, right, when in spa mode, the filter pump pulls out of the spa, goes through the filter, bypasses the solar, to the gas heater and back to the spa. The 3-way valves on the suction and the discharge of the Filter pump control flow to spa or to pool.

To confirm, when in Spa Mode - it is only the filter pump and there is suction from the spa and return only to the spa.
A picture would help as hard to visualize where the spa is connected to the pool other than the 3 way valve that moves when going from Pool mode to spa mode.
The good thing about the Jandy valve is that you can remove the internal valve and replace it. Sometimes grit gets lodged in and may cause a small opening for bypass. You can normally just clean the valve and replace or you can purchase a new one and replace it.
Be sure to lube all oring on stem of valve and on valve cap.
I responded below before I realized I could post directly to you. See my comments below. I've opened up the 3-way valves to check for debris. I have a check valve in there too and I have not checked that one yet. But the new 3-way valves should hold even if the old check holds.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.