New 14' getting - upgrade now to Sand or Salt? why both?

Re: New 14' getting - upgrade now to Sand or Salt? why bot

Well the only issue with the 2650 is that it might turn the tiny pool in a Tidal Wave pool and toss the lil' ones around too much :eek:) The other reason I like the idea of the 2650 is for vaccum suction vs the 1600 (which is more than enough to handle the pool just that I've read some have not like the suction. I think I'm going to order the sand filter tonight and next spring maybe do the salt sytem add on!

I've found a nicer ladder locally on Craigslist with the roll up safety thing. Might be too big for the pool but its only $75

Then I found a local guy selling a 1 year old Water heater for $300 (normally $1500) Thought that would make the poool temp nice. Just kidding about getting it, but I saw his listing and the size of it was larget than my AC compressor outside.

There's nothing wrong with the suction of the 1600gph. Nothing at all. I actually would have to question those who report it lacking, and ask them if they used the 1.25" rubber ports on and existing pool or if they cut larger holes for the larger piping. Once we cut the large holes and used the fittings that are made for the 1600gph pump and sand filter the flow increased quite a bit.

Well I'm back from vacation now, pool held up well, still clear and numbers off a bit. I still have to order the pump, looking for a sale.

Now, My wifes patient the other day is the owner of a local pool shop (50 years) and he said NOT to use chlorine with kids and that Baquacil is the better option instead (kiddie factor) people are pro and con on it, any thoughts for the intex pools?

BTW, what a great lil' pool, for $199 and sand $$ the kids are truly enjoying it and becoming more relaxed with jumping into water and swimming under. worth every penny

Research the Baq conversions here before you decide. I got the Intex1600 for my 18 foot ultra frame and it has done wonders. I used to want an SWG, but since converting to BBB, I don't really feel its necessary. I use less than a gallon of bleach a week, and only spend about 5 minutes a day or so testing and adding. I spend much more time admiring the clearness of the water than I do worrying about algae! If you aren't home consistently, then an SWG seems to be helpful and worth the cost.

ekoreilly said:
Now, My wifes patient the other day is the owner of a local pool shop (50 years) and he said NOT to use chlorine with kids and that Baquacil is the better option instead (kiddie factor) people are pro and con on it, any thoughts for the intex pools?
^^^^ :laughblue:

Those of us who have converted from baq do not hold the same opinion. I like my SWG thank you. I can't see how you can beat a well balanced chlorine pool.

Back again. We are still looking to get the 2650 Sand Filter pump,. BUT I just noticed that Target has the salt water generator on sale fo $99. can these two systems be combined? SWG says 700 Gph but the sand filter is rated for 2,650 Gph. what happens with trying to set these up?

The 1600 works great on my 18' ultra frame. I only spend 5 or so minutes per day checking on the pool chemicals. Now that the weather is cooler, it's been every other day. I run the pump 4-6 hours a day, usually half in the a.m. half in p.m. I think the total spent this summer on actual chemicals was under $30. and I don't have an SWG. I got the Intex 1600 sand filter for $129. at Walmart earlier in the season, but had seen it on Amazon for similar prices.

ekoreilly said:
Back again. We are still looking to get the 2650 Sand Filter pump,. BUT I just noticed that Target has the salt water generator on sale fo $99. can these two systems be combined? SWG says 700 Gph but the sand filter is rated for 2,650 Gph. what happens with trying to set these up?

I don't have the Intex Sand Filter but I do have the SandPRO 75 sand filter. It is also rated at 2,650 gph.. I have the Intex SWG after the filter & it works great. The 700gph rating for the SWG is the minimum flow rate. The SWG works great at the higher flow rate.

As PhilH said, the intex swg will work fine with the 2650...the 700 gph is a minimum (and in my experience the intex swg needs more than that).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I have been looking at lots of sand filters. Is there a differance between an Intex Krystal Clear 2650 sand filter verses a 2650 Intex sand filter.
I have a 18 x 9 Intex Ultra Frame and will be putting it up for the first time next spring. I have been advised to replace the filter and have decided to go with a sand filter. Amazon has the Intex 14in Krystal Clear on sale as well as the Intex Krystal Clear 2650 for $45 more and the Intex 2650 for $30 more. What would the best one to buy for my pool that has 4500 gallons?

Thanks for the heads up on the $99 deal for the Saltwater system at Target!!! It isn't a Krystal Clear model but it looks the same so I just bought it! I don't know if the Krystal Clear model is different than the Buff Beige model. Hope it works as well as everyone says it does next year when we put up our new pool !!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.