Never cleaned before will this work

Is this a D.E. filter? It looks like one. If so, a backwash onto a lawn is OK, but messy and you don't want to do it too much as the DE, when it dries, can cause problems. It also may not be legal in your area as some require that it go into the sanitary sewer. You will then need to add D.E. back into the filter before use as you will not filter properly without it and can damage the grids.
If you don't have any DE, you may want to look into using cellulose fiber filter media instead. It is a superior product. You can research its use online.
Poolman thanks and I owe you a beer for sure a scholar and a gentleman thanks

I haven’t back washed at all as now the cleaner is cleaning but I’m sure after this I’ll have to clean. It out, can I drain it into a Home Depot bucket if I’m cleaning the filters in place then I’ll look at the cellulose fiber filters also for future. I will for now reads the DE until I have some more spends, any ideas how much I would need to add to my skimmer after cleaning, attaching a pool diagram View attachment 551909
Also you may want to change the pool size you have 216 gallons listed.How much DE you add is for the filter size not the size of pool.
You have a Hayward Pro Grid which can range from 24 sq ft to 72 sq ft.If you cannot figure out which size you have, measure the actual grid itself.Measure from top to bottom lengthwise(not the top connection piece).
To convert from inches to sq ft just double the inches(example 18”=36 square feet or 24”=48 square feet).
When you take the grids apart from the manifold it can be tricky to reinstall them,but you have to,to check for any holes or small tears.Also check manifold for any cracks as well.

Last edited:
I haven’t back washed at all as now the cleaner is cleaning but I’m sure after this I’ll have to clean. It out, can I drain it into a Home Depot bucket if I’m cleaning the filters in place then I’ll look at the cellulose fiber filters also for future. I will for now reads the DE until I have some more spends, any ideas how much I would need to add to my skimmer after cleaning, attaching a pool diagram View attachment 551909
I looked back and saw that the label on your filter is still there. You never add the full amount that is on the label of the filter for your size filter after a backwash. A backwash never gets all the old filter media (D.E) out and using the full amount will overload the grids and cause poor performance. The best thing to do is to open the tank and completely clean it and the grids out and start fresh. That way you can also find out the actual size of the filter by measuring the length of a grid.
Cellulose fiber is a D.E. substitute. It is very safe and far less messy when it is backwashed onto a lawn. It bio-degrades very quickly as it is just a "paper" product.

Reactions: 98Poolmaster
Thanks I’m playing catch-up this is from the side of the filter unit will measure once I get it taken apart, I’m guessing de can be bought at Lowe’s

Attachments

• IMG_1569.jpeg
    IMG_1569.jpeg
    460.3 KB · Views: 0
Just checking on Amazon do you think this would be enough Amazon.com

Didn’t want to strip the filter down and clean without having it to read to the skimmer
That’s plenty make sure to add the correct amount that 3 lb bag is equivalent to 25 lb DE.There should be a conversion chart on the back of the bag.Fiber Clear is what I have used I believe it’s exactly the same just older packaging

IMG_2823.jpeg

Just checking on Amazon do you think this would be enough Amazon.com

Didn’t want to strip the filter down and clean without having it to read to the skimmer
That is usually plenty for a homeowner and should last at least an entire pool season. The product is very light weight.

Pick up a proper D.E. scoop/cup for measuring the product. Then, fill it almost full ONE time and add only that amount to the skimmer with the pump running. It may not look to be enough, but cellulose expands in water and it is sufficient.

If you are going to tear down the filter, it would be good to soak the grids in a filter-cleaning solution to remove any oils that are in the fabric. There are always oils in a filter. That way the cellulose won't be soaking oil from them and having to be backwashed quickly (sometimes the next day) after adding the cellulose. Not doing this is why most who switch from D.E. are dissatisfied with cellulose, not understanding how to use it initially.

DO NOT acid wash first, if at all. If you do, the grids could be ruined. Most filters do not need to have acid cleaning.

A scoop like this is good:

Reactions: wireform
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.