neighbor's pool with strange markings?

dogman

May 8, 2014
missouri
My neighbor reached out for some help on his pool. they do not follow TFP (but know that I do). they opened the pool last week and these strange circular trails go around the bottom and up some of the sides of the entire pool. they had a mole issue and he thought it was due to moles. however, the markings seem to be flat with no indentations under the liner. I brought my kit over and tested their water with the following results. I am thinking they have something brewing so began the SLAM process for them. They only had Cal Hypo shock so that is what we used for now. I have some left over liquid shock I am not using since the switch to salt so will use that going forward.

not sure I will be able to convince them to move to the TFP way of life. Any event, thoughts on what these lines might be? I am hopeful after 24 hours of SLAM and heavy brushing, they will see some difference.

Liner pool 15,000 gallons:
FC 1.5 (he has pucks in the skimmer) and shocked last week. I have no idea what levels he used but he did whatever the pool store said to do; they also added some sort of chemical to help reduce staining (suggested by the pool store) and an algicide of some sort.
CC .5
PH 7.3
TA 110
CH 150
CYA 10
CSI -.55
temp 68 (but has been around 64 up until yesterday or so).
water is otherwise clear.

any thoughts besides keep up the SLAM process and overnight tests and try to get them to the TFP way of life? or do these look like something else?

thanks

IMG_2550.jpgIMG_2551.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
No doubt their water needs help, but you can't babysit it forever. They have a choice to make, pool store or manage on their own. As to the stain markings, either material has settled predominantly in that unusual patter to cause a stain, or perhaps the staining is showing itself from below. The age of the liner could also be a factor.

Remember .......

full

thanks. I will find out the age but I believe is relatively new. there were no markings when they closed the pool for the winter. he believes were there when opened. the only thing that changed was yard work shoring up a wall outside the pool deck but near which was why he was thinking it may have stirred up a mole or something.

The markings are the side and not even connected to the others. some are like rough circles . sorry don't have a side wall pic.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.