Neighbor ready to jump

Blink said:
All of you are the best! He is running to stores now to get the goods. I will report back later tonight or in the morning on my findings. I will follow the levels in the calculator depending on my TA test and CYA test and work on PH first. I just wish that CYA test is not so subjective. Filling the tube until the dot is covered is a little bit of a **** shoot as to when it is “truly” covered. Thanks All!!!!

You can pour it back into the mixing tube and then run the test over until you get a sense of where it is really at.

Neighbor ready to Jump-PART 2

Nothing happened last night because rain.

Anyways I test my neighbors pool about 10 min ago 2:53 Central time. Here are the results:
FC: .5
CC: 1
TC: 1.5
PH: 7.2
T/A: 110
CYA: 70
Pool Temp: 74

What do I do next? He has two 5gal liquid Chlorine at 10.8%. I’m thinking SHOCK then tonight do the OCLT? but please help want to make sure this works. He is a pool store buy all the chemicals the clerk tells you guy. Trying to convert him to BBB. I have to step out to a graduation so I will check back in about 2-hours. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP AND TIME!

He does not have a swg (salt water chlorine generator) correct? Then if he is willing I would do another drain/refill to get down to about 50 ppm cya. 70 can be managed, but generally 50 will be easier.

Other than that, since you are measureing over 0.5 ppm CC, that pool needs to go through the shocking process. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/shocking_your_pool Remember to stress to him that it is a process and not a one time application of some product called "shock".

Ok thanks for everyones help. I just got doen shocking his pool about an hour ago and ran this test:

First number was what his pool was at this afternoon, second is what I just did:

FC-.5, now 22.5
CC- 1, now 2
So, 1.5 versus now at 24.5 Total Chlorine

Doing the OCLT test so I will test again before first light and record those again. Any thoughts?

No harm in doing an OCLT, but you really do not need to do it tonight since you are getting measurable CC. The CC will disappear before you will pass an OCLT, and even if it didn't...then you would still need to be shocking since CC above 0.5 ppm requires the shocking process.

Blink said:
I just got doen shocking his pool about an hour ago and ran this test
Not a big deal, but you did not get "done" with the shocking, since as I think you know it is a process of holding the FC level at the appropriate shock level until you pass all three criteria (in my sig). In fact, you started the shocking process by raising the FC to the pools shock level (for the pool's cya level). :blah:

Also, you probably need to wait an hour after adding the chlorine (with the pump running) before getting the evening FC level.

Thanks Mod Squad! I actually gave him my test kit to perform the test in the morning. So might as well let him do part of it. I will post the results mid-morning. Like you said probably will still be CC’s so when should I test tomorrow or just wait until evening to do the OCLT since tonight wont work as far as what you said.

Well for now, until his CC drops below 0.5 ppm and the FC starts to stay higher longer, just keep redosing to the shock level as much as possible. If you can't get to the pool very often, overdose a little to keep it up. You can do a OCLT any night you want but my guess is you have a couple more days ahead before you and him are done with the shocking process.

Well Mod Squad you are spot on! The guy was diligent and actually got up at 3am tested and again this morning at 7:30. But this is a process like you said and we are not done according to results. Here are the results:
3am: FC=12.5 & CC=1
7:30am: FC=6.5 & CC=.5

He has about 3gal of 10% chlorine left I’m going to put all of it in and test here around noon. FYI Mod, I live in Somerset, WI just across the border of MN. Where are you at?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sounds like you did not drain anymore of the pool? CYA still at 70? That should work, but he needs to be diligent about keeping his FC above 5 ppm at all times after your are done with the shocking process. Hopefully he will be a little lower next year ,due to winterization.

Blink said:
3am: FC=12.5 & CC=1
7:30am: FC=6.5 & CC=.5
Yep he has some organics in his water. I would guess he will be at it for a day or two more, but with the dedication he (and you) have, I would guess this will go as quick as it can.

Blink said:
FYI Mod, I live in Somerset, WI just across the border of MN. Where are you at?
I am in Lino Lakes. I know Somerset fairly well...I have relatives near Star Prairie.

linen

harleysilo, you forgot throwing in a few of those cheerleaders as well in the back seat, I think a few cold beers, the top off of course, music LOUD and you sporting some ORANGE boxers should do the trick! With that said, drive to your nearest paint shop and I bet it will be done for FREE :party:

Wow you are close MOD! Well that is good to know in case we fail we may have to lure you over with greenbacks and some cold beer/wine and of course the best cheese in the world! I will keep you posted on my next results. Thanks again for all your help MOD, means a lot for us newb’s.

harleysilo said:
Offtopic....blink, what's a ballpark $$$ to wrap my jeep wrangler and turn it orange with a giant university of Tennessee logo on the hood???

And testing at 3am I'd say he is SERIOUS!

Serious or insomnia, probably brought about by children or spouse.

Your question on UT : Where you live, about the same as another Wrangler plus the wrap. :twisted:

Buford said:
harleysilo said:
Offtopic....blink, what's a ballpark $$$ to wrap my jeep wrangler and turn it orange with a giant university of Tennessee logo on the hood???

And testing at 3am I'd say he is SERIOUS!

Serious or insomnia, probably brought about by children or spouse.

Your question on UT : Where you live, about the same as another Wrangler plus the wrap. :twisted:
LOL. The move down here about 12 years ago was interesting, now all our friends our Dawg fans!!!

There are three things you should meet to determine that your shock process is finished....
1. Your pool water is sparkling
2. Your CC's are .5ppm or less
3. You can hold your FC overnight without losing more than 1ppm.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.