Neglected IG Turtle Pond - need help

I think we have MOST of the solids cleaned out. The leaf rake doesn't bring up much anymore, we aren't finding leaves in the filter anymore, and we keep vacuuming. As we vacuum we can feel a lot of wrinkles in the liner bottom, so there is probably some stuff hiding out in the creases. I realized we only put anough cya in the water to bring the level to 10, so we will add more today. Hopefully that will help with daytime FC loss. My husband is frustrated, and just dumped 384 oz of 12.5% liquid chlorine in the pool. We will stay vigilant! The water is now a cloudy but bright light green.

Stay with it, don't let that shock fall down to much, if you do, all the $$ in chlorine you have put in just goes right down the drain. :cry:
Don't get the CYA to high, 30 max while in the shock process.
Have some POP!
You have to remember, five years for a pool to sit is A VERY LONG TIME.... :roll:
Your 1st post was only ten days ago, and you really didn't have a handle on the knowledge or proper test kit that you have now! That is the good part! :goodjob:

Chuck

Not much change in appearance from last night to this morning. Water is a light green-blue color, but very cloudy. I tried to take a picture, but its difficult to view in the morning light. For visibility, we can see the top of the second step. Cl was at 20 this am, I shocked to 30 to keep up the levels until I get home from work. Do you think that's good enough?

Thanks again everyone for your help. It's nice that you all take the time to help others.
-Cheryl

The more you can do it the better. I was in your same boat and could only add 2-3 times a day during the week. It took longer, but I was able to get it done. In the morning I would do as you say, maybe boost the fc 2-5 ppm more to help during the day. With that much FC being eaten up, you could maybe bump it up to 10 ppm. But wait for the pros and see what they say.

The Cl levels stayed over 20 overnight (can't wait til my Taylor test kit arrives tomorrow so I can tell the FC values!). Water is bluer but stiill cloudy - we can see most of the second step though. Is chlorine still our best and only weapon? Will floc help, or maybe some DE (we have a sand filter).

Thanks!
-Cheryl

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
At very least you need to wait till you get the new test kit and can pass the OCLT before doing anything except keep the FC at shock level.
Adding a little (~ 1 cup) DE to the sand filter is fine, but don't expect it to be a miracle cure.

My new tests kit arrives today! Can't wait to see the real pool chemistry numbers! How often should I backflush while shocking? Only when the psi increases 20%? Or more often to flush the dead algae out of the filter?

The color is much improved, but still cloudy. We can't quite see the 3rd pool step yet. I had scrubbed the yellow-brown stains off the steps when we drained the pool to half, but they are back!

-Thanks!

Attachments

• pool6.jpg
    pool6.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 53
Hurry up kit!
Post your #'s as soon as you can, we all want to help you 'Get'er Done'! :wink:
Sherri didn't support me in the beginning with what she called crazy way to fix the pool, she hammered :hammer: me to just go back to the pool store and buy bags of shock and just put them in and I'll be fine and I KNEW that was not what I wanted to do after reading and seeing all of the success story's here.
Now today, with having OUR pool perfect all the time and pool screaming for us to come swimming every day (and we do a lot) Sherri now BRAGS about how OUR pool looks and feels and does now support my decision to do this the TFP way. :whoot:

Chuck

Are you brushing the walls and floor on a daily basis? I know that when I helped a friend clear up her "Frog City" it was taking forever till somebody here mentioned that you need to brush the walls and floor daily to make progress. Once I had her brushing daily, things sped up! Took about 3 weeks total to have a sparkley pool.

My test kit was waiting for me at home today! Here are the results:

FC 6
CC 1
pH 7
TA 100
CH 200
CYA less than 30 (but I put enough in this weekend to bring to 20, so we can assume 20)

We are adding borax to increase the pH and 12.5% chlorine to mustard shock level now. We are brushing the walls and floor daily. Is there anything else we should be doing / adding?

Thanks!
-Cheryl

Just keep shocking and brushing and when you are at shock level don't worry about the PH you won't get an accurate reading above 10 FC .

Have faith you will get there mine was a dark green frog pond and it is now crystal clear you will wake up one morning and say Oh WOW... and now that you have your kit it will be real soon.

Thank you so much for the continued great responses!

One more question - when we had drained 1/2 the pool, I had scrubbed the steps and they were perfectly clean (white with blue treads) - now that the water has refilled, they again look yellow/brown stained. What would cause that?

Thanks so much!
-Cheryl

Overnight FC loss test:

FC 12 (loss of 3 - much better!)
cc 1.5
pH 7.4 (the borax we added worked great!)

Pool still cloudy, but I know it will be sparkly soon and we will be swimming in that cold water! Time to get a solar cover :wink: Does anyone have the clear kind and like it better than the blue?

Thanks for all your help in putting us on the right track!
-Cheryl

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.