Needing to regenerate/bump DE filter daily - cloudy water

Re: Needing to regenerate/bump DE filter daily - cloudy wate

RobbieH said:
It is OK to put pucks in the skimmer if your pump is running 24/7. Otherwise, you'll get a big concentration of chlorine in the skimmer when the pump is not running, eating at the skimmer parts, then it'll shoot that high concentration through all your equipment when the pump fires up.

If you know your CYA is low, you can use the pucks, I suggest in a floater, to help maintain FC.

Because it's cloudy, I plan on running 24/7 while I attempt to clear up this issue. I'll toss a puck in there for good measure. To answer my question, is it true that to increase CYA without using pucks, I'd need to purchase a chemical at a pool store? Or is there a bbb-like approach for raising CYA?

And would I benefit now from a filter cleaning, or at least a regeneration? I seem to be getting good pressure from the return, and the gauge is showing 15psi, which is what I've gotten after prior regenerations or bumping. I have a bag of DE, and I understand the filter is going to have to work hard to clear all the cloudy algae out, but is regenerating the DE going to help? Or should you always wait until the pressure ceases to drop after bumping?

Yes, you are correct. You can either buy straight stabilizer (CYA) at the pool store or WalMart, or you can chlorinate with trichlor pucks, or you can use dichlor powder to chlorinate. Use the pool calculator to calculate the effects of using trichlor or dichlor, or to measure out how much stabilizer to use. I suggest aiming for a CYA of 30, wait a week after adding it, measure, then add the rest if necessary. It's easy to add more, draining (pun intended) to remove.

If you are at 15, there is no reason to backflush. If you start at 15, I suggest backflushing when you get to 21 to 23.

Awesome. I'd probably be without the pool for the rest of the summer if I hadn't found this site. Thank you much to all who have helped so far.

Vague question: any chance I'm swimming this weekend? Assuming a pH of about 7.5, Chlorine of 2-3, TA around 40, and still no stabilizer (says my strip test, but I just added a puck of trichlor). It's still cloudy, but is that alone reason not to swim? Or is there a chance my filter can clear it up now that my chems are better? I'm working from home the rest of the week and I'm going to be on this thing hourly if I need to be.

Not trying to confuse the issue but it seems almost impossible that the CYA level is 0. It's more likely to be high than low considering the tablets in the garage.

If it is high then 3ppm FC is no where close to shock level.

rjproulx said:
Bumped and ran the filter all night
Can you clarify the term "bumped" the DE filter? The reason I ask is that a DE filter isn;t really meant to be repeatedly bumped and not regenerated. You need to really backwash them out and reload the DE. If you've been doing a lot of little bumps and reloads it is possible your filter has much more DE than it needs - or if you are bumping and not reloading you may have no DE.

Not trying to complicate your issue - if the pool is getting better feel free to disregard. But if it doesn't seem to be clearing at all or the filter issue remains bad - a filter filled with DE (or empty funny enough) and high CYA are where I would look first.

lightingguy said:
Not trying to confuse the issue but it seems almost impossible that the CYA level is 0. It's more likely to be high than low considering the tablets in the garage.

If it is high then 3ppm FC is no where close to shock level.

rjproulx said:
Bumped and ran the filter all night
Can you clarify the term "bumped" the DE filter? The reason I ask is that a DE filter isn;t really meant to be repeatedly bumped and not regenerated. You need to really backwash them out and reload the DE. If you've been doing a lot of little bumps and reloads it is possible your filter has much more DE than it needs - or if you are bumping and not reloading you may have no DE.

Not trying to complicate your issue - if the pool is getting better feel free to disregard. But if it doesn't seem to be clearing at all or the filter issue remains bad - a filter filled with DE (or empty funny enough) and high CYA are where I would look first.

Sure, let me clarify. This is directly copied and pasted from my filter's manual:

-----------------------------------------------------------------
FILTERING
Filtration starts as soon as the filter has been precoated. As
the filter removes dirt from the pool water, the accumulated dirt
causes a resistance to flow. As a result, the gauge pressure
will rise and flow will decrease. When the pressure rises 7-10
psi (.49-.70 Bar) above the precoat pressure, regenerate the
filter.

REGENERATION (Extending the Cycle)
Stop the pump. Move the bump handle down slowly, then up
briskly. Repeat 3 times. Restart the pump and filtration will
resume at near the original flow and pressure.
After each regeneration, and until the filter is cleaned, there
may be a slight increase in the starting pressure. This is the
result of dirt accumulating within the filter and is completely
normal.

CLEANING
Cleaning is recommended when the gauge pressure rises
more than 10 psi (.70 Bar) in less than a 24 hour period or
when cloudy water returns to the pool for more than 30
seconds after regeneration. To clean, first stop the pump, then
move the bump handle down slowly, then up briskly. Repeat 8
times. Open the filter drain and open the vent valve (Note: if
the filter is installed below the pool water line, close the suction
and return valves) and allow water and dirt to empty
completely. After the filter has drained, and with the drain still open, run the
pump for a few seconds to flush out any dirt remaining in the
bottom of the filter. (Note: If the filter is installed below the pool
water line, opening the suction valve for a few seconds with the
pump off will adequately flush the unit.)
Close the filter drain and the vent valve. Open the suction and
return valves (when used). Start the pump and let the filter fill
with water and repeat the CLEANING procedure. This
completes the cleaning phase. The filter is now ready for
recharging. Proceed as in STARTING THE FILTER and
PRECOATING.
---------------------------------------------------

Using ALL CAPS below to reference the sections above.

To go back about a week, last Friday I did a full CLEANING (per above). I shut off the suction and return lines, did the bump handle thing 8 times, then drained the filter, repeating this process twice per the instructions. I added back my DE (PRECOATED, per the manual), and observed a starting pressure of 15psi.

Since then, I've done the REGENERATION process a handful of times. Over the weekend I probably did it a couple times per day because the filter was clogging so quickly (I've since learned...thought initially I had a pump issue). When I regenerate I'm simply shutting off the pump, and working the bump handle a half dozen times. This extends the cycle and lowers the pressure back to around 15psi.

Since I found this site two days ago, I've still only done the REGENERATION (which I called 'bumping' in other posts). I didn't think that REGENERATING got rid of DE, so please correct me if wrong. Per the manual, it says to REGENERATE when the filter gets 7-10psi above the precoat pressure, which for me was 15. It says to CLEAN when it gets more than 10psi higher than the precoat. Since I performed the CLEANING last Friday, it's never risen above 22psi, so I've just been REGENERATING.

As for the CYA being too high...your guess is as good as mine until I get a proper test kit. I did not faithfully use the trichlor tablets (and had a water level issue that prohibited proper filtration for about a week two weeks ago), so it's not like I've had two sitting in the skimmer for the whole summer. But there's one in there now with the filter running.

And no...I'm not really observing a visual difference. The water feels less slipper than it did when I made my first post in this thread, but I still struggle to see the bottom standing next to the pool.

Got it. Looks like you are following the manufacturers notes for the filter. Strange it doesn't recommend new DE after a certain number of bumps though.... Sand filters use the term "bump" to describe a quickish backwash - which would be no good for a DE filter. So.... my bad.

As to CYA - An 8oz puck of Trichlor will raise the CYA in 5300 gallons by about 6ppm - so if you've used more than a handful since you opened the pool you got to figure there is some CYA in the water. If you've used 10 or 12 then your CYA is as high as you'd want it - and maybe higher.

I think it's safe to say more chlorine - more consistently. When the test kit arrives we can be much more specific about it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Thanks again to all who have helped throughout this thread. I know, I know, I don't have my "real" test kit yet, but take a gander at this morning's readings.

Chlorine is 3-5ish, pH looks to be in the 7's, TA seems OK...but the CYA is still reading 0 on this stick test. To summarize what I've done...used 3" pucks on and off early in the year, then lost some water and didn't filter for a week or so, then added water and probably went through 2-3 3" trichlor pucks before I discovered this site and the BBB method. Since then (four days ago), I've added 44oz of bleach. After consulting with you guys again, I added a trichlor puck to the skimmer basket yesterday in at attempt to raise the CYA.

All chems aside, my water is as cloudy as it's been all week. I did brush the liner yesterday (without asking here), and there's definitely some junk down there because I was getting green clouds as I brushed. They quickly dissipated...though I'm not sure if they were filtered or just settled back down again.

My filter is cranking, which is a departure from what I was seeing a week ago. It has a baseline PSI of about 15, and after 12 hours of filtering overnight last night, it's at about 18psi now. I did not regenerate this morning. Water pressure out of the return is great, and the water is moving nicely. As far as feel, the water is great.

Two questions for this morning:

-Given the chem levels now compared to my initial post...would we be ok to swim in this water (this weekend)?

-What can I do to try to clear it up? Just wait and let it filter out? Or would shocking be appropriate?

Thanks again! As soon as money ceases becoming an issue, I will support this site. You've saved me tons already.

You definitely should vacuum.
I can't tell anything from those strips, especially the CYA. Can you run a sample to the pool store and have them test it. It's not much better than strips but it's some.

Sorry for the delay folks...ended up swimming last weekend but water is still cloudy. Just took a sample to the pool store, here's what I got:

TC: 0
FC: 0
pH: 7.3
TA: 40
Hardness: 200
Stabilizer: 25

I picked up a can of CYA, and also have clorox and borax on hand. What next, and in what order? If it's cloudy, should I shock and try to kill this stuff once and for all? Should I put the CYA in now?

Don't put any more CYA in there.
You need to shock!
I'd get a little baking soda in there first to bring the TA up a little. However, I don't trust those pool store tests.

OK, so if I'm understanding what I'm reading here, I should strive to maintain 10ppm shock, which thepoolcalc says would require about 100oz of bleach. I'll go throw a jug in and then pick up some more when I go out tonight.

FWIW, I should be able to buy a real test kit next week.

Just added all 96oz I had. Will add more when I go out later tonight. I suppose the tough part will be maintaining shock level until I see clear water. If money were no object I'd have a real kit now...gotta wait until payday, though.

If you have a kit that will measure chlorine to 5 ppm you can dilute the sample with chlorine free water 3:1, multiply the result by 4 and get a guess up to 20 ppm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.