Need to Remove Sand - Deep clean in or out of filter?

nousername

Bronze Supporter
Sep 22, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
Hello all!
I have a Triton TR100 sand filter and I need to pull the sand to replace the drain assembly because the black drain part that screws into the filter housing has cracked and is leaking. If someone knows how to replace the drain without pulling the sand I am game to try that. Part that needs to be replaced is: Drain

The filter has pea gravel in the bottom and sand on top. The pea gravel/sand was replaced in 2019. Should I just deep clean sand in the filter before I pull it out or is there a better way to clean the sand outside the filter?

The filter is filtering fine so I would rather not replace the sand

Thanks!

We'll see if someone else knows of a shortcut, but I believe the only way to replace that drain assembly is by getting all the way down inside that filter. Removing the sand and pea gravel may be inevitable. But no sense deep cleaning the sand before you pull. it. Pull it and the gravel carefully off to the side on a tarp or something, do your drain repair, then put it all back in. Should be fine.

Inevitably you may lose some sand in the cleaning process so just be sure that you establish the correct freeboard distance once the gravel and sand are back in place. Having the correct empty space above the sand bed is critical to the filter operating properly. Luckily a bag of sand is cheap.

I'm thinking if it possible to do without removing the sand. Maybe you can tunnel a clearing from outside the filter since the sand is wet and somewhat compacted. If carefully done not disturbing the filter by putting an open pipe a little smaller the the opening and removing the sand that would be in the way sort of like when kids build a castle on the beach..... oh so carefully. If you succeed you must ge the threads sand free with a tooth brush....I'd give that a try before going the full out route.

What part of the drain is cracked? The black part or the beige part or both?

Oops! I completely overlooked that the black is cracked........sorry

I am not sure how the plug attaches to the filter body but I assume by the coarser threads. If so, it seems you could turn off the pump and remove the assembly. Let the water in the filter drain back into the pool by opening the pressure relief valve on the top of the filter.

I think wireform is saying essentially the same thing.

Last edited:
Thanks duraleigh. The black part has reverse threads that screw into threads in the filter housing. I think I will drain the filter then start by trying to replace it with all the sand still in the filter. What is the worst thing that can happen? If it doesn't work I will just have to pull out the sand anyway.

At this point it only drips so the other question is do I replace it now or wait a month for the cooler weather? I guess I will have to decide that one.

Just to update folks replacing the drain. I tried unscrewing it without removing the sand and it just broke. The white screen was packed with sand and it broke off. So I went the route of removing the sand with a shopvac. It ended up being easiest taking most of the sand out to the pea gravel level. I then only removed the pea gravel around the drain. After cleaning the threads with a toothbrush the new drain is in and working well.

Attachments

• PXL_20221022_170344821.jpg
    PXL_20221022_170344821.jpg
    619.9 KB · Views: 13
  • PXL_20221022_165350414.jpg
    PXL_20221022_165350414.jpg
    712.3 KB · Views: 13
  • PXL_20221022_170948303.jpg
    PXL_20221022_170948303.jpg
    531.5 KB · Views: 13
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.