Phoenix
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I have 2 variable speed pumps that run during spa operation. Both pumps run around 2800rpm and are located approximately 10’ from my spa. With one pump running it’s mildly annoying but with both running it’s moderately distracting and takes away from the relaxation of the spa. Furthermore, it’s loud enough that normal tones of voice are tough to hear which results in louder voices which sucks for my neighbors. Does anyone have any remedies besides a large fence/wall/gate in front of it? Unfortunately, I don’t have room for a brick wall to close it off. Don’t mind spending money to fix the problem, but there just aren’t a lot of great options out there from what I can find. Any companies that build custom sound absorbing enclosures that still allow for proper airflow through the pump motor? I’ve seen different versions of THESE but they don’t really have any sound absorbing qualities.

Thanks!

IMG_8889.jpegIMG_8890.jpeg

Last edited:
Why does the pump connected to the filter and heater need to run at 2800?

I can run that pump in my spa at 1400 with the heater off and 2400 with the heater on.

Reactions: mas985 and Bperry
Can you share some photos of the entire equipment area and how it is located to the spa?

I am guessing you are hearing a good amount of sound that is being reflected off the stucco wall. Enclosing the pumps would help, but than you need to figure out how to keep them from overheating.

To get an idea of what helps best I would start with putting a sheet of plywood, a concrete board, a sheet of foam (open and closed cell) between the pumps and spa. Different frequencies of sound bounce around and off more surfaces that others. The option form making it quieter are absorbing the sound or reflecting it in a different direction.

Or where noise canceling headphone while in the spa.

Why does the pump connected to the filter and heater need to run at 2800?

I can run that pump in my spa at 1400 with the heater off and 2400 with the heater on.
If I run that pump at 1400 the pressure out of the spa returns is really weak. Unfortunately, turning down the rpm isn’t really an option for me.

If I run that pump at 1400 the pressure out of the spa returns is really weak. Unfortunately, turning down the rpm isn’t really an option for me.
But that is only when you are using the spa, correct? For general circulation, filtering and chlorination, lower speeds works just fine.

A spa running spa jets is going to be noisy. But it usually doesn't last very long either.

You really can't reduce the volume of the pump motor and water velocity at higher speeds unless you put the equipment into an isolated room. But even then, the spa jets will still make quite a bit of noise.

You have two pumps. What does each pump do?

Only the pump that feeds the spa jets needs 2800.