Need to add liquid chlorine, locked out of patio

coleminor

In The Industry
Mar 12, 2024
Cape Coral Florida
So I know that long term it's not a great idea to put liquid chlorine in the pump basket, skimmer or tab feeder but short term, like a one time deal, is it really that bad?? Obviously skimmer I can't use because I'm locked out but pump basket or tab feeder? I won't be able to wait for a response so I'm going to open the filter up and put some in there for today as I've done that in the past per my manager. I'm just curious for in the future if I'm in this situation. The main reason being, like where I'm at now for instance, the filter lid is a real peice of work and I often have trouble with it sticking or leaking, it seems to require new o rings much more frequently than other pools for some reason and it's on the newer side, the pool is only maybe 5 years old if that, probably less. Anyways, I'm just hoping next time I'm here or in a similar situation, that there is someplace other than the filter itself that is safe to pour in the liquid chlorine if I'm locked out of the patio? Again, not for long term, just here and there as needed in this situation. I would normally put tabs I'm the feeder but my CA is way too high and I need to take a break from tabs on this pool for a bit. That being said, between the high CA and the fact that it's not quite spring and the water is pretty cold still plus it's not really raining much yet, I won't have to put a whole lot of chlorine in the pool anyways. It's a standard size pool, somewhere in the vicinity of 10k gallons so I'm only going to hit it with like 0.75 of a gallon and I wouldn't think it would hurt the pump or anything if I put it directly in the pump basket but I know chlorine is really slippery and I don't know if that would affect any of the inner workings of the pump, causing it to spin too quickly and burn out or damage it? Any info is much appreciated, knowledge is power and I like to have as much of it as possible! I love to learn so all comments are welcome! Thanks so much, this is my first post here, hopefully of many and I apologize if I put this post I'm the wrong place.

Welcome to TFP.

Let's ask the pros here what they would do in your customer situation - @1poolman1 @98Poolmaster
I've been in the pool business for 51 years now and I have probably put liquid chlorine in the pump pot around a dozen times and have never seen any damage from it. I don't recommend it but I would do it in an emergency. It's better than losing a service account.

Reactions: 98Poolmaster
I've been in the pool business for 51 years now and I have probably put liquid chlorine in the pump pot around a dozen times and have never seen any damage from it. I don't recommend it but I would do it in an emergency. It's better than losing a service account.
That’s your only option putting one gallon isn’t going to do any damage to the pump.Do not add liquid chlorine in a tab feeder ever.I wouldn’t hassle with opening the filter lid if you have those issues with the o ring.Putting it in pump volute/basket is fine I wouldn’t make a habit of it but in your situation it’s fine you have no option.

In the future you could gain the customers respect by being honest leaving a note describe the situation or we text customers with any issues that arises.
Two things that does is it’s dated and time stamped and if they are near they could be right back.
Every pool tech or installer has been locked out of a gate or the dog got out or customer changed their gate code etc..you get my point.
You can tell them you were locked out and had no option except put it in the pump and we didn’t want to potentially do any damage so we waited.You can also leave the chlorine there and tell them to add when they get back.
Always return later if possible and just keep the customer aware of the situation

Welcome to TFP.

Let's ask the pros here what they would do in your customer situation - @1poolman1 @98Poolmaster @bradgray
Thank you @ajw22 you are the man I love your responses and knowledge about pretty much everything.You are a smart dude and explain things both technical and understandable.Dont know what you did do or did for work but you could be a manager at a pool store or whatever pool related thing you wanted.

Reactions: ajw22
The customer has to be more cooperative in allowing access.

Is it always locked or just sometimes?

Can they give you a key or code?

Leave a note and charge for the original visit plus a new visit if they do not provide access when they agreed to provide access.

Some customers are not worth dealing with if you always find that they make your life too difficult.

If they do not allow you to do your job, cut them loose and work with customers who work with you and not against you.

Maybe switch to salt to provide a more consistent FC level.

Last edited:
If you do not have access to the pool, how are you getting a water sample to test the chlorine levels?

You can ask the customer to add the liquid chlorine on a schedule or on a onetime basis or maybe use a Stenner type liquid chlorine feeder.

Reactions: Mdragger88
So I know that long term it's not a great idea to put liquid chlorine in the pump basket, skimmer or tab feeder but short term, like a one time deal, is it really that bad?? Obviously skimmer I can't use because I'm locked out but pump basket or tab feeder? I won't be able to wait for a response so I'm going to open the filter up and put some in there for today as I've done that in the past per my manager. I'm just curious for in the future if I'm in this situation. The main reason being, like where I'm at now for instance, the filter lid is a real peice of work and I often have trouble with it sticking or leaking, it seems to require new o rings much more frequently than other pools for some reason and it's on the newer side, the pool is only maybe 5 years old if that, probably less. Anyways, I'm just hoping next time I'm here or in a similar situation, that there is someplace other than the filter itself that is safe to pour in the liquid chlorine if I'm locked out of the patio? Again, not for long term, just here and there as needed in this situation. I would normally put tabs I'm the feeder but my CA is way too high and I need to take a break from tabs on this pool for a bit. That being said, between the high CA and the fact that it's not quite spring and the water is pretty cold still plus it's not really raining much yet, I won't have to put a whole lot of chlorine in the pool anyways. It's a standard size pool, somewhere in the vicinity of 10k gallons so I'm only going to hit it with like 0.75 of a gallon and I wouldn't think it would hurt the pump or anything if I put it directly in the pump basket but I know chlorine is really slippery and I don't know if that would affect any of the inner workings of the pump, causing it to spin too quickly and burn out or damage it? Any info is much appreciated, knowledge is power and I like to have as much of it as possible! I love to learn so all comments are welcome! Thanks so much, this is my first post here, hopefully of many and I apologize if I put this post I'm the wrong place.
Cut your loses and find a new customer. Had to do that twice for similar issue. You don't need the grief. If the customer doesn't value your time enough to allow you to do your job properly you'll never really make them happy.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What if there were still tabs in the feeder? If you are then pouring liquid chlorine into the pump basket you are basically mixing the two in the feeder. Not sure if it's worth the risk.

Reactions: JamesW and Newdude
You could probably hook up a fitting to the pump suction drain port and then use a tube to feed the liquid in slowly.

Maybe about 3 minutes for a gallon would be safe enough.

That is about 0.71 oz per second, which would mix in with the water and the level would be pretty low.

You would need a 1/4" NPT X Barbed plastic adapter, a 1/4" plastic valve and some plastic tubing.

The valve would allow you to control the feed rate.

There might be some circumstances where it is worth doing, but if you have to do it a lot, then it is a lot of time and effort.

If there is a heater in the system, then I would not add any chlorine before the heater.

Last edited:
I have to ask. 3/4 gallon of 12.5% is about 9ppm FC which is both alot for a public pool and also a very short supply if it's busy this afternoon. What's the CYA level ? Is the baseline 0 FC ?

I know chlorine is really slippery and I don't know if that would affect any of the inner workings of the pump, causing it to spin too quickly and burn out or damage it?
Chlorine is not slippery.

It feels slippery because it dissolves your skin and this feels slippery.

The pump will not spin any faster.

The RPM is controlled by the frequency of the power supply.

The seal of the pump is the main concern.

If you feed the chlorine in slowly enough, it should be fine.

If there is a heater in the system, then I would not add any chlorine before the heater.

"Bleach contacting the skin will cause burns due to it destroying the fatty tissue and oils. This process is known as saponification and is the method to manufacture soap. The slippery feel of bleach on skin is due to saponification of the skin oils and destruction of tissue!"

Last edited:
Chlorine is not slippery.

The pump will not spin any faster.

The RPM is controlled by the frequency of the power supply.

The seal of the pump is the main concern.

If you feed the chlorine in slowly enough, it should be fine.

"Bleach contacting the skin will cause burns due to it destroying the fatty tissue and oils. This process is known as saponification and is the method to manufacture soap. The slippery feel of bleach on skin is due to saponification of the skin oils and destruction of tissue!"
A couple of those statements made me a little perplexed as well.I think he may be a new pool guy that may have been a little confused or stressed when he posted that.
That’s okay stick to TFP you will get the best advice and knowledge on this forum no doubt.One thing I will say never add anything if you aren’t sure or don’t know the possible dangerous outcomes that can happen with chemicals or electrical components.
Always be cautious especially when you first start.Remember always add chemicals to water NOT water to chemicals in the diluted state they are much safer and usually aren’t extremely dangerous.
Any questions or concerns be safe first,safety isn’t an issue until someone gets injured or destroyed then it’s the only issue
Not trying to preach that’s just the things I learned way back in the day
Safety first!!

I never thought it was slippery. But now that you point it out, I can FEEL it by thinking it. (And it totally feels slippery) :ROFLMAO:

Thanks for the daily learn. (y)

• Wow
Reactions: JamesW

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support