Need some help setting up plumbing for heat pump, filter pump and inline chlorinator

c_anthony27

Jul 11, 2022
NY
I am looking for some help running the plumbing on my 18’ round semi above ground pool

I have an aqualcal t75 heat pump

hayward CL200 inline chlorinator

hayward 1hp pump and cartridge filter setup

and i also want to have a small waterfall feature at one corner of the pool
i want to run this off of the filter pump also

everything is setup approximately 20’ feet away from the pool and i plan on running the pvc piping in the ground

this is all brand new and will be the first install on the pool

i am looking for what size pvc lines i should be running i believe all of my equipment has 2” inlets and outlets
does that sound correct ?

where should i be installing check valves for when i want to drain all the lines for winterizing ?

any other tips or advise to make this go as easy as possible
i am hoping to get it done this weekend
and get the pool going so the family can start using it

thanks for any help and advise

Last edited:
doesnt the chlorinator go after the heat pump ?

and a check valve between the heat pump and chlorinator is acceptable ?

or am i missing something there ?
In my experience, even the "chemical resistant" check valves that Rainbow (now Pentair) made/make fail. Since they are opaque and sealed, you don't know when this happens until the damage is done. In-line and off-line chlorine tablet feeders were developed for commercial applications where the systems have very long run times and some form of "automatic" chlorine dispensing is required.

In a residential application, they cause a lot of damage because of the different way pools are operated. To begin, they only add chlorine when the pump is running, a floater adds it constantly. When the system is off, eventually even with a check valve, the heavy solution in the container will find its way back into the system and cause damage. If the plumbing is absolutely perfect, this may not happen. But, nothing stays "perfect" on a pool system forever.

I won't install a heater, especially the newer designs with inlet/outlet plumbing low to the ground, if a feeder is in the plumbing. About two years ago I installed a heater, removed (with the owner's approval) a tab feeder and all was good. Got a call 6-7 months later about a leak. He had someone else re-install a new tab feeder. Opened the manifold on the Master Temp heater to find the heat exchanger eaten away. Extreme example, but it does happen.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.