Need some help CYA high and New to testing

duraleigh said:
So can I start the OCLT soon as the Sun is off the pool
Have you met the other two criteria?

1. Your pool water is sparkling
2. Your CC's are .5ppm or less

There's no point in an OCLT unless you meet the above.

The pool met both the criteria and I decided to do the the OCLT and it failed :(

Reading last night was FC 23.5, This morning FC 20.5

Pressure on the pool looks good, water is sparkling clean - have been at this a few days now. I had a small break out of Algae and my CYA was very high. Have since drained and refilled and YA is @ 50.

I have not opened the filter and cleaned it out - would that be something I need to do?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
onedah said:
#rd night for OCLT and it failed again.

1. Pool water is sparkling
2. CC's are .5ppm or less

Lost about 2ppm of FC.

Is this normal? I started with water being clear with high CYA and little Algae on the walls.

Yes it is normal. Your testing and constantly maintaining shock levels are working. Keep at it. Keep SLAMing. It will work. You're in the home stretch. Do not let up.

I have some great news - my pool finally passed the OCLT. I lost 1ppm overnight so I am done with SLAMing. :-D

It was defiantly a journey and took patients and persistence, and have learnt a little more about my pool.

Some learning’s I'd like to share:
1. Expect the SLAMing process to take longer than a few days - especially if you have Algae (When I started I thought I would be done in aday or too)
2. Have plenty of bleach and reagents for FC testing
3. Make sure you get behind light fittings, ladders, skimmer flaps etc and clean clean clean to get the algae into the water so the Chlorine can do its work

Thanks for the support of the forum.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.