Need some guidance here...

frustratedpoolmom said:
You can certainly try that route if you like, let it settle and vac to waste if you have that option. I looked at your google doc and you've only listed 5 days of testing so you honestly, haven't been at it for that long... I've advised folks on here for up to a month's time clearing a swamp...

OK. Then what FC level should I hold it at now that it's held 22 overnight? Do I let it fall back to it's normal 3-4 level or keep it at shock level? Do I wait till the pool clears before I add salt and let the SWG do it's thing?

Thanks for the help everyone.

Well, here's where it gets kinda murky... lol excuse the pun.

Sometimes with new members, we advise to keep it at shock level till the water is clear.... just to avoid some common mistakes amongst new converts. But TBT, if you are 100% certain the FC held overnight (meaning you confirmed at say 10pm the FC wasn't actually higher than 22?) Sometimes when you test 30-60 minutes after bleach additions, and then again say, an hour or two later having added nothing, you might see a higher number. It has happened. So in reality your FC could have been say, 24 and you may have actually had a 2ppm drop. I hope that makes sense... :?

So What I would suggest, in your case, is keep it filtering today. Let the FC come down naturally and test your PH and TA levels. This evening, after the sun is off the pool (if there is sun, lol) test the FC. If it's still up above shock level (for your CYA of 30 that is 12) don't add anything at all. Then tomorrow morning before sun hits the pool, test it again. Without any bleach additions around testing time there will be no question whatsoever as to the level.)

If the FC is for sure holding, then let it drop to normal. Then you can either let the stuff settle and vac to waste or keep filtering, have some POP.

As for the addition of salt - (and CYA cuz 30 isn't high enough with an SWG) honestly, I think you should tackle one thing at a time - it is very easy to get overwhelmed at first especially when you have several things happening.

A little bit of bleach each evening for a couple of days is a piece of cake so lets clear this up first. :goodjob:

Thank you for the detailed response. I will just have to exercise some patience now and trust in the plan and stick with the regiment. This has ballooned into this all-consuming task that I literally can't stop thinking about it. Every morning I eagerly hop out of bed (never done that before) and peek out the window hoping to see some improvement and nada, zip, zilch. I'm so mentally invested in this process that it crushes my spirits every morning. Ha!

There's an ongoing pool (now I'm being punny) in my house about which will happen first, clear water or me in therapy. Right now my money is on the latter. :hammer: And to answer your next question, no I am not patient with ANYTHING. It didn't help that the pool company came and opened the pool, water was greeeeeeeen, they dump four bags of shock in it, water goes clear, and they leave me to vac up the Crud when it settles. All in less than an hour and here I am a week later going the wrong direction, or so it seems.

Thanks for letting me vent... time for that POP.

I am happy to report that even after the nearly two inches of rain we got last night, I awoke this morning able to see the bottom of the shallow end! I vac'd all the dirt out that I could - along with some blind vac'ing in the deep end - and when I came home tonight I could literally see the pattern on the liner in the shallow end and FINALLY can see the main drain in the deep side. I vac'd again and brushed the walls while keeping the FC around 20 and I'd almost bet money I'll have it clear and filled with salt by Saturday.

Thanks again for the wisdom and encouragement and I'll be sure to post back in a day or two with pics of crystal clear water!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.