Need Some Advice To Fix This Plumbing Leak

MAndrews1

May 3, 2016
Toledo, OH
Good afternoon everyone. Last night the "T" in the attached picture sprung a leak. I know have to cut it out and replace the plumbing. I have just a couple questions.

1. Does anyone know the purpose of this T? Pool came with the house and has had it's share of weird set-ups.

2. As you can see it is a very tight fit between the T and concrete pad. I have a SCH 40 coupling but I am not sure the collar is going to fit snug with the pipe coming out of the ground. I have also purchased a DWV with a shorter collar which would fit, and a rubber coupling with hose clamps, but not sure either would withstand the pressure. Is my assumption correct? This is the return line after the filter.

3. The chlorinator is tapped into the coupling. Is this correct installation?

plumbing1.jpg

I tried to epoxy it last night to stop the leaking for a bit with the intention to fix it, but that didn't work.

thanks in advance

You are right - not much room under the Tee.

What is in the end that is leaking? Could you cut it off and glue a plug into the Tee? Hard to tell with the epoxy.

You would not want to use a DWV fitting on the pressure side. They tend to fail even at the low pressure we see on pool equipment. I would not use rubber either.

Have you measured how long the exposed pipe above the concrete would be and then gone to a plumbing supply place to ask them? They may have some ideas.

You will have to replumb your chlorinator line, or just remove it and use a floater for those rare times you have to use pucks.

Take care.

Is the T cracked or just leaking out of left side of the t where you have the epoxy? If the left side I would say try to leave the t and cap it. Reason I say is your pretty close to the concrete cutting down is pretty much your last chance. If you do cut you might consider glueing on a threaded piece so if something happens and you have to replace again you can come off the threaded side without cutting.

I have had limited success using a heat gun to disassemble glued pvc joints, there are you tube videos if you want to try that.

You are right - not much room under the Tee.

What is in the end that is leaking? Could you cut it off and glue a plug into the Tee? Hard to tell with the epoxy.

You would not want to use a DWV fitting on the pressure side. They tend to fail even at the low pressure we see on pool equipment. I would not use rubber either.

Have you measured how long the exposed pipe above the concrete would be and then gone to a plumbing supply place to ask them? They may have some ideas.

You will have to replumb your chlorinator line, or just remove it and use a floater for those rare times you have to use pucks.

Take care.

The end has a has a cap that can be removed. It's very odd. I have just a little less that 1.5 inches between concrete and where the T will be cut. The chlorinator line will actually be removed as I have switched to liquid.

Google Socket Saver. They sell them at lowes and plumbing wholesalers. They work really well you basically cut the end of the plug off and auger out the remaining plastic inside the socket then clean prime and glue in whatever fitting you want whether it be a MIP/FIP or another plug or cap.

- - - Updated - - -

Plugs will have a male fitting end to fit into the cup or socket.
Also. Quick question. Are the caps meant to go on the outside of the pvc or do they fit inside?

caps have female sockets and attach to pipe or male ends.

It looks to be a glue tee. A socket by socket by threaded tee is rare in pvc and if you do get them they typically have a metal banding around them to help keep them from splitting by way of over tightening. But to be on the safe side ensure that it is a glued fitting before starting then follow the procedure above. they make the Socket Saver just for that issue. I agree I would not cut below the tee unless you have to but even then it is not the end of the world. Just make sure it is dry then use pvc cleaner the pvc primer, then lastly pvc glue, insert the male fitting and give a quarter turn hold in till it sets and then pour a cocktail.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Google Socket Saver. They sell them at lowes and plumbing wholesalers. They work really well you basically cut the end of the plug off and auger out the remaining plastic inside the socket then clean prime and glue in whatever fitting you want whether it be a MIP/FIP or another plug or cap.

- - - Updated - - -

Plugs will have a male fitting end to fit into the cup or socket.

caps have female sockets and attach to pipe or male ends.

I have never seen one of these, I learn something new on this forum every day. Thanks!!

Yes this is definitely the way to go, use this to drill out the left side of the T and glue a plug in there.

Here's where I am at so far. Hoping the cap will fit right on the end.
0b778952d0ca73da2d0ddfdb4443bdea.jpg

One other thought. That looks like a reducer in the t. If it is reduced down to 1/2" maybe a 1/2" plug would work?

If you try this, plug the hole with your finger or something and fire the pump up to see if it is leaking anywhere besides the small hole. If it is leaking somewhere else it will probably have to be reamed out.

One other thought. That looks like a reducer in the t. If it is reduced down to 1/2" maybe a 1/2" plug would work?

If you try this, plug the hole with your finger or something and fire the pump up to see if it is leaking anywhere besides the small hole. If it is leaking somewhere else it will probably have to be reamed out.

That's a good idea. Yes I believe it's 1/2 in or 3/4

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.