Need Recommendations for Pool Chillers and Installers in or near Palm Desert, CA

candth

In The Industry
Jun 6, 2023
Palm Desert, Ca
We are researching installing a pool chiller for our Palm Desert pool. There are so many options re chillers and heater/chillers, etc. Our pool company has not been much help. We're wondering if there's someone in Coachella Valley that has installed a pool chiller (our salt water pool is around 14,000-15,000 gallons). If so, what did you install and who installed it? Thank you!

I have a Glacier chiller and it saved our pool. I’m in the DFW area and the pool gets full sun during the hottest part of the day. Prior to the chiller, water temps would hit mid-90s around early July. I can now keep water temps in the low to mid-80s, regardless of how hot it gets.

I researched heater/chiller combos but was concerned about the cost of running one. Kinda like running an AC unit outdoors. Plus, I already had a gas heater. The Glacier is very economical to run, as it’s just a fan blowing across the water as it runs down a grid of baffles - basically a swamp cooler. It works best in low humidity, but we can get high humidity here and it keeps up. There are other TFP members in Houston, New Orleans and other very humid areas that also report success with their Glaciers. I would think that your climate would be perfect for an evaporative chiller.

I’ve had mine for something like 7 years and it’s still doing the job. I had to replace the fan motor last year, but that’s the only thing that’s gone wrong with it. I run it every day (night) for 17 hours, so I push it hard.

I found my installer on the Glacier website.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

One other note - I tried the PVC misters that are referenced in the article linked above. They would cool the pool about 5° overnight, but couldn’t keep up during the day, so when we wanted to swim, water temp would be in the 90s. They may work better in your environment. Another challenge with them is that the wind would blow the spray onto the surrounding landscaping and it was killing the plants. Most challenging of all - my wife hated them because they’re pretty ugly. :rolleyes:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.