Need pump replacement help

Jun 5, 2009
Boston, MA
Hi,

I want to replace my old single speed pump with a 2 speed pump, but I'm having a hard time figuring out which pump to get. any help would be appreciated.

Here are my specifics:
- Pool size: 20x40 (approx 34,500 gal)
- Plumbing: 1.5" PVC lines
- Filter: Hayward S-240 sand filter (designed flow rate 63 GPM, clean PSI - 12)
- Pump: Hayward Super Pump SP2607X10 (1 HP, 1.1 Service Factor)
- Total Dynamic Head: 35 ft (calculated using a vacuum gauge and the filter's clean PSI)
- No spa, heater, or other features

Looking at the flow vs head curves for the pump, it's operating at 60 GPM @ 35 ft of head. So it takes 9.6 hrs for one turn of the pool water.

My questions:

1) This may be a stupid question, but when I look at the flow vs head curves for the 2 speed Super Pumps, they only show the curve for the low speed. I don't understand why the high speed curve is not shown?

2) If I get a 2 speed pump that operates at 60 GPM on high speed, is the low speed half of the high speed? So that would be 30 GPM? Or is that too simplistic and it depends on the head, speed, etc?

3) Any pump recommendations? I would like a manual switch to switch between high and low speeds (for vacuuming)

Thanks in advance.

1. Not sure, never looked, but the high speed curve is the same as the single speed curve.
2. Low speed does in fact move about 1/2 the amount of water as high speed ... while using 1/4 the electricity.
3. Why not just get the equivalent 2-speed motor to put on your existing pump? Would be cheaper, no need to do any plumbing. You can either get a switch that mounts on the motor or use a standard 3-way house light switch up by the timer or something.

BTW, Turn over does not matter. Check out: Determine Pump Run Time

Thanks for the advice. Just getting the motor would definitely be cheaper.

Will any 2 speed 1-hp pump work? or are there specific models that fit the Super Pump?

BTW - I currently have 115V but could hook up 230V if needed.

No and yes. You need to get the appropriate motor and that would be a STS1072RV1 but it is a 230v motor. You can use a B973 (115v) but it requires modification of the motor stand.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.