Need opinions on pebbletec pool

mike4088

Aug 5, 2023
San jose ca
Hello,
Super brief, I am rescuing my boss from incompetent tech, he has a 20k gal in ground fresh water pebbletec pool. Came with the house in 08. I went over to see him first time being in the backyard and I saw dead pool water. Hard to describe, it was just dead looking.

Upon hearing I'm somewhat knoedgeable about this stuff he points me to black algae which according to him had been there two weeks spreading like herpes. I saw lots of black algae, everywhere. I checked his water chemistry and I have never seen or heard of worse. My LSI calculator gives me NEGATIVE INFINITY LSI. CYA AT 136 Alkalinity around 30 zero chlorine ph 7.9 phosphates 100+....I was shocked. Three years they had this pool guy ..

I drained the pool and used power washer to remove the black algae. I had to do the ENTIRE pool and spa. There wasn't a surface where black algae wasn't. Pretty stubborn stuff.

Refilled the pool and several issues with it, I added calcium baking soda little acid to get the ph down (bit less than half gallon our fill water has a PH about 8 or 7.9 roughly) and got ready to SLAM added 4lbs granular Cya in a sock and chucked some liquid chlorine bout 1.5 gallons maybe, just to have something in the water while i let the cya circulate.

I tested the water last night and there was zero chlorine but stranger my eyes burn real bad when I go in the water. Also i had put calcium and baking soda to the measure ments Orinda app gave with a projected Alkalinity of 100 but I tested it at 40-50, weird.

The pool leaks and with food coloring it appears the walls sre cracking and water either just seeping into the finish or getting past these tiny cracks. I can run my hand over some spots and pebbles come right up.

So, why are My eyes burning with no chlorine? Is this from combined chloramines? If yes how do I clear that up?

Is the pool finish failing? Its losing a lot of water it seems.

What effect would this highly corrosive water have on the pebbletec and is the pool company potentially liable for damage?

When can I actually SLAM this thing my boss has kids and its hot, I'm at a loss what to do because the Alkalinity seems way off and my eyes burning must mean something I just don't know what.

How best to proceed? Thank you all.

Welcome to TFP.

What test kit are you using?

We use the PoolMath app.

Post a complete set of water tests from YOUR kit in the format:

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
SALT
Water Temp
CSI

How is the pool chlorinated?

Have the pool owner join so we can talk directly.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.