Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Astral VX 7T
Hi all

I've got a crack in my sand filter and need replacement.
I was given the below options from my 3 local pool shops and I'm after some advice.

I've done a bit of research but could not really tell them all apart and I wonder if I should go for the cheapest package.
I've also asked for an option to convert to cartridge filter, the main reasons being smaller footprint and higher filtration rate. Happy to hear critical feedback on conversion.

Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks

Shop 1 (install $90 flat)
Sand option
Waterco Exotuf 600 ($949) + media (glass $550)
Cartridge option
Waterco Trimline CC100 ($759) or Waterco Opal 180 ($979)

Shop 2
Sand option
Astral ECA650 ($1599, includes media and install)
Cartridge option
Astral XC200 ($1299) + CMP Jandy ($109) + install ($390)

Shop 3
Sand option
Davey Ecopure 25 ($599) or Hayward Pro 24 ($699) + Media (glass $320) + install ($330)
Cartridge option
Davey Crystal Clear 100 ($499) or Pentair PCF 100 ($449) + Install ($195 + extra if extensive plumbing required)

Thanks team for your input

With your pool being a little over 9500 gallons, any of the filters would work. However, if you could go with the least expensive vendor but upgrade to between a 150 to 200 sqft cartridge filter, I think that would be better.

Reactions: proavia
What's your attraction to glass media? Sand works just fine, cheaper and easier to use IMO.
$hops recommendations, better filtration and longer life compared to sand.
I had sand and DE before and it was doing an ok job, just found deep cleaning quite painful as sand was always super compact and hard to loosen. mind you the sand was already in the filter when I bought the house 6 years ago so not sure how old the media was and the quality of it.

Thanks

With your pool being a little over 9500 gallons, any of the filters would work. However, if you could go with the least expensive vendor but upgrade to between a 150 to 200 sqft cartridge filter, I think that would be better.
Thanks,

I'll crunch the numbers and see if I can upgrade to a larger cartridge.
I want to stay as cheap as possible, but still with quality equipment.

Shop makes more money selling you high priced glass media rather than pool sand.
Sand will outlast your pool and probably you if you properly care for the pool and do a deep cleaning of the sand filter every year or two.
Sand has been around for millions of years - a few years in your sand filter isn't going to degrade it - unless you gum it up with floc and other unnecessary chemicals.

That being said, I would go with a large cartridge filter. And I've had both sand and cartridge.
If you follow TFP methods and continue to use your Clear Choice Labs test kit, you will be golden.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.