Need input on coping for a new pool

Love_Swimming

Bronze Supporter
May 7, 2023
Tampa, FL
I have a disease that causes my muscles to be in pain, and light swimming and movement in water is the only thing that gives enough relief. So I really need a good pool. I’ve done lots of reading here, and greatly appreciate the site and everyone on it. This is my first post. By Monday afternoon I need to decide whether to order a DIY insulated aluminum walls pool kit - the Hercules line by PlayGo pools (aka The Pool Factory and Alligator pools). An inground pool won’t work in my space for many reasons. Also, I only have 14’ 8” of space between a setback and retaining wall, and I want to do a 11’ by 44’ lap pool. So I’m limited to either soft-shell pools like Intex, Splash or Kona (that aren’t a good fit for my needs), or to Hercules … as Radiant & Doughboy won’t do custom sizes.

My challenge is the water would only be 45” high because the top of the inside of the Hercules pool wall is 49” after set-up. For my light exercises, it’s a lot better if it’s 48” or higher. So I’m trying to figure out if I can do one of the following to get more inches of water:

1) The pool walls are 3” thick with a 3.5” wide metal ledge at the top. Would it be feasible to do a poured concrete coping about 3” thick and 5” wide with 3/4” protruding on each side? Would I need to attach something like rebar to the top of the panels to give the concrete something to hold onto? As you can see at this photo of the panel - https://swimmingpool-discounters.co.../HERCULES-POOL-Panel-Thickness-1200x1600.jpeg - both sides have a recess. The water-side recess is reserved for the liner, but I could wrap the concrete down on the outside into the recess on that side to help secure it.

2) How good would it be to stack 2 pieces of composite pool decking on the ledge and screw them in? I found boards that are 5.5” wide. But almost all brands max out at 1” thick, so it would take 2 layers to get 2”, while poured concrete might get 4”, in which case I could have the water go up to near the top of the liner at 48 – 49” deep, and still have the water 4” below the top of the walls. It also seems like 2 stacked deck boards might look odd or half-baked. Or might have issues with water getting under them?

3) Any other ideas or products? If there is 2 - 3” thick composite coping that’s 4 – 6” wide, maybe I could screw it into the top of the wall. I can’t build a deck around the pool due to space limits, plus cost etc. The Hercules owner said it wouldn't void the warranty if I attach deck board or other things to the top ledge. You can see info and examples of the pool here - The Ultimate Pool Gallery | Wilkes-Barre, PA or here - 2023 HERCULES ON GROUND OR INGROUND ALUMINUM POOL FROM | swimming pool discounters. This photo is closest to how the pool would look in my case: https://swimmingpool-discounters.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Hercules-Inground-4.jpeg

Hercules had an "early season" order discount of 18% that expired two weeks ago, but the owner agreed to give me an extension until yesterday (Friday). On Thursday, due to an issue on my end, he agreed to give another extension until this Monday. Thus I need to decide soon, but I'm anxious about whether I can increase the water height. So I really appreciate any input, advice, etc.

Welcome to TFP.

I do not see how you can pour concrete on top of the above ground walls.

Are you going to have a custom liner manufactured for you?

In any pool wall extension you need to consider how the liner will be held into liner track at the top of the pool. The standard walls should have liner track at the top.

You also have to consider the bending movement of the liner at the top holding the weight of the water on the joint you create for your wall extension.

If you want to raise the walls it is more practical to raise it from the bottom. Maybe put the walls on cinder blocks and figure out how to anchor the wall to the cinder blocks. It will take some engineering to make it safe and not something that can be thrown together over the internet.

Or install the walls on the ground and dig down to depending the middle of the pool.

If you can pour concrete on top of the walls, you can pour actual concrete walls with an inground pool whatever shape you wish. The liner will be custom for either pool because 11x44 (x48 inches no less) is not a common size. Here is mine

20220430_141209.jpg

Welcome to TFP.

I do not see how you can pour concrete on top of the above ground walls.

Are you going to have a custom liner manufactured for you?
Thanks. Yes, they will manufacture a custom liner for the pool. I read there are a few ways to keep coping forms in place on the water side while the concrete cures like: a) having a sort of clip on the form like the image below. b) glue them temporarily to the side of the pool. and or: c) push a strong pin through the bottom of the form into the pool wall. My thought is that since it can be done on the water side, it likely could be done on the other side:

1684641877624.png
Does that seem feasible or is there something that could make it hard to do, or undoable? Here's a photo of a side view of the Hercules wall. The top seems to have a flat spot that a form clip could slide onto. My thought was to insert rebar every 12" vertically into the center of the wall top ledge so about 2" extends out to give the concrete something extra to hold onto if the concrete is 3" thick. Also, I seem to recall their being products I can apply to metal before pouring to help the concrete adhere better to it.

1684623939636.png
In any pool wall extension you need to consider how the liner will be held into liner track at the top of the pool. The standard walls should have liner track at the top.
I assume the wall in the photo above has a suitable liner track, but if not, let me know. Maybe I could have the water come up to 1" below the top of the liner, and that plus 3" of concrete would give 4" between the water and the top. Would that not be wise?

If you want to raise the walls it is more practical to raise it from the bottom. Maybe put the walls on cinder blocks and figure out how to anchor the wall to the cinder blocks. It will take some engineering to make it safe and not something that can be thrown together over the internet.

Or install the walls on the ground and dig down to depending the middle of the pool.

One nice feature of this pool that makes it very strong is that numerous metal braces criss cross the bottom of the pool to connect the bottoms of the walls to each other like this:

1684625219121.png

Besides the above, the braces in the pic below are installed all around to further strengthen it, and results in very little wall movement compared to most above ground pools. It means raising the base won't change the water depth, and it's not possible to go deeper than the base. I think my only option is to do something at the top. I appreciate the input.

1684625505561.png

Last edited:
If you can pour concrete on top of the walls, you can pour actual concrete walls with an inground pool whatever shape you wish. The liner will be custom for either pool because 11x44 (x48 inches no less) is not a common size. Here is mine

Thanks. I have a 3' retaining wall that's 60' long that makes in ground unfeasible. I had 2 contractors come to do quotes and said inground isn't doable unless I'm fine with a super narrow pool 7' by 45' for $75,000 to $95,000. One noted it'd have little resale value, and the other implied it'd be a waste of money. They also said their equipment would wreck the synthetic grass in other parts of the yard plus largely wreck my rock driveway. The Hercules pool is very easily DIY and will end up under $25k all included. It's mostly just screwing the pieces together, and making sure they're level and plumb. I work for a nonprofit, and the pay is low. So $50k to $70k less is a big help. Above ground would also keep all leaves out, while inground would be lots of leaves. I've had a portable spa there 10 years, and no leaves or debris reach the top of it. I also wouldn't need to pay for an automatic safety cover or an unsightly baby fence because 48" above ground suits the safety rules. So lots of reasons why above ground is best for my situation, though I appreciate the suggestion.

So lots of reasons why above ground is best for my situation, though I appreciate the suggestion.
I wholeheartedly concur with all the reasons above. (y)

One noted it'd have little resale value, and the other implied it'd be a waste of money
These are true for any pools. It only has value to someone who wants it.

If I had to guess, 15 out of the 20 people/families who looked at buying my house were completely indifferent that it had a pool.

These are true for any pools. It only has value to someone who wants it.

If I had to guess, 15 out of the 20 people/families who looked at buying my house were completely indifferent that it had a pool.
That's good to know. It would really help if I could get 3" or 4" higher waterline via one of the ideas I have. Hopefully others will offer their input and or tips. Thanks.

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.