Need input: Install heat pump on concrete pad or condenser pad?

nelson411

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Aug 5, 2011
Northern California
Hi, we are finally adding a heat pump to our set up. Unfortunately our equipment pad (concrete) is not large enough to handle any heat pump (we are considering the AquaCal Heatwave 166R). The installer is recommending a condenser pad. He could install a concrete pad for $850 more. Is the concrete pad worth the money overtime? As of now, there is nothing in place- just soil.
Any input is welcomed.
Thanks!

What?! Why don’t you just put it on a precast concrete slab? Our heat pump comes with one but here you can pick one up for about $30 in various sizes. Our pool equipment had been installed on one and the heat pump will go next to it on its own. Even if you poured one I can’t imagine how it would possibly cost $850. You could even form one up and pour it yourself. This is a job my very un-handy hubby could manage and I could possibly even do myself.

What?! Why don’t you just put it on a precast concrete slab? Our heat pump comes with one but here you can pick one up for about $30 in various sizes. Our pool equipment had been installed on one and the heat pump will go next to it on its own. Even if you poured one I can’t imagine how it would possibly cost $850. You could even form one up and pour it yourself. This is a job my very un-handy hubby could manage and I could possibly even do myself.

Thanks for the great idea! We’ll look into the precast concrete! Unfortunately the DIY is difficult since we’re both mobility impaired.

Thanks!

It might depend on your local building codes as to why they didn't suggest to you a precast pad.

Thanks ps0303! I’m checked on the codes today. The AquaCal manual states concrete or other materials that meet code. County code says whatever the manufacturer recommends. I’m concerned about the amount of vibration with the condenser pad since all of the other equipment is on concrete.
Thanks again!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.