SnoopD

Jun 14, 2023
Houston, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Love the forum. I have corrected about 428 things I was doing wrong with your help. One of them was deciding against a SWG when I initially installed the pool (PB was not well informed either). So now I'm putting in a CircuPool RJ-45 Plus and I have two significant questions:
1) Where to place it?
2) How to wire it in?

More color:
1) There is very little room on the line coming out of the pool heater back to the pool/hot tub returns. There is even less room in trying to replace the in-line chlorinator (wouldn't fit) and I don't like the idea of the vertical install with all the 90s; seems like it would introduce more losses than it's worth. And I also am ok with the increase in FC to my hot tub when it's being used (since if it's being used for an extended period of time it will be washing many backsides). By my calculations I'll be running the SWG at 15-20% with the VSP running 24/7, so a 4 hour hot tub soak would add 8ppm FC to the hot tub. A 6 hour soak if I'm running at 20% would add 16ppm. I don't consider that top end realistic since the hot tub will be used mostly during the winter when I'll likely be running the SWG at 10%, which would put a 6 hour soak back to only 8ppm. And I can always turn it off if I know I'll be in it for a while. The flip side is I run it on the pool return and my hot tub FC will have no regeneration for an extended hot tub session, which seems like a worse idea. So I'm thinking to plumb it into the line where it comes out of the hot tub heater. I'll have to use 45s to angle up, then angle back down going into the control valve. Also means I may have to move the check valve into a vertical or diagonal piece of pipe right at the exit of the heater.

2) Since all my equipment is using the Hayward automation (OmniLogic app), the VSP is powered all the time and just receives a signal to turn on, per any set schedule. I considered the Hayward SWG but it was quite a bit more expensive with lower output and shorter life. And I don't think I need to "automate" it, per se, since I'll be running the pool 24/7. However, I have read many concerns with using the flow switch as the primary on/off. But I'm at a loss as to how to wire it in such a way that the SWG runs only when the pump is running. No idea where to start on this one. I do have room on various circuits in the sub panel for the load, and can probably also wire it with the VSP. Just not sure how to get that safety factor that if the pump shuts off/fails (but the sub panel is still hot).

Attachments

• 20230612_191420.jpg
    20230612_191420.jpg
    423.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 20230612_191432.jpg
    20230612_191432.jpg
    381.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 20230612_191541.jpg
    20230612_191541.jpg
    388.9 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
I just checked it again. The only reference to relays was if you need to use a 3rd party controller to manage it. There may be more there, but it's not discussed in the manual.

Ok, so this is my plan to solve my question #1. By moving the heater back (maintaining the 6" heater side clearance) I should be able to move the backflow to the side coming out of the heater and have the straight run into the automatic valve be long enough for cell and flow switch. Open to feedback if there is something terrible with this idea, but looks like it provides a horizontal mount, doesn't add any further restrictions or fittings and avoids the 4 90's of that crazy vertical kit Circupool has.

Still unsure on question #2. Likely going to power it in parallel with the VSP. That way if the pump breaker trips (or the breaker to the sub panel trips) it will kill the SWG. Beyond that I can't think of any way to get additional safety measures on it. Even an additional Hayward relay wired to have a schedule in OmniLogic wouldn't know to power off if the pump quits. So this is still a head scratcher and I'm open to ideas.

Attachments

• Pool re-pipe for SWG.jpg
    Pool re-pipe for SWG.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 9
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.