Need help with pool vacuum

SELUMI

Jul 27, 2023
Orlando, FL
Hi, I am new to pool cleaning. I bought this new hose vacuum set from Leslie Pools except I don’t know how to set up my valves to siphon out dead algae. Please see pictures. Does anyone know how to set up a basic vacuum and backwash to remove dead algae from the bottom of a pool? Any help would be greatly appreciated :) IMG_1970.jpegIMG_1973.jpegIMG_1974.jpegIMG_1972.jpegIMG_1977.jpeg

You need a plate that fits your skimmer. Look under the skimmer cover for a brand and skimmer number and get a matching plate.
1690511651267.png

Leave the gray valve in the position it is in. You either have a skimmer and main drain or two skimmers. When you turn the black valve (pump OFF!) so the handle points to the right, you are closing off the left feed. Figure out which is which and close off either the main drain or one of the skimmers. Push the flex tube into the pool until it is filled with water, put the plate over the skimmer under water, then connect the hose to the plate.

No - that's what "powers" the vacuum!
Rather than pull water from the pool surface, which a skimmer normally does, your new plate and hose will allow you to pull water from wherever the other end of the hose is. The plate pictured above may or may not work due to the right angle fitting on it. For some pools, it works great to use it and feed the hose out of the skimmer opening into the pool. Mine requires a plate with a fitting that points straight up, so the hose comes up out of the skimmer, and loops back down into the pool.

Not mentioned - but you do have a "head" for the other end of the hose, and a long pole to attach to the head, right?

Here's a random video about some of the different kinds of heads you can get:

Have the head and the pole attached to the hose when putting it in the pool. Feed the remainder of the hose vertically, slowly, into the pool so it fills totally with water. Then attach the other end to the plate in your skimmer. (You're getting as much air out of the hose as you can)

Then set the valves as poolstored noted, and turn on the pump. Move the head around with the pole to suck up whatever you need to. With the gray valve as pictured, the dead algae will go into the filter. If the filter pressure rises, stop vacuuming and clean the filter. Then keep on vacuuming. If a lot of dead algae, you may want to have the gray valve set so the "off" is over the pipe to the filter. This will send the water/algae out your blue flexible waste line. Note this will lower your pool, and can use a LOT of water that needs to be replaced. So only use that option for really, really dirty conditions.

Last edited:
Hi, I have a lot of dead algae caked up about an inch thick throughout the bottom of my pool. I need to drain my pool to pressure wash my pool. There is a drain at the bottom of my pool. How do I drain my entire pool through that drain? Do I need the pump on to drain it ? I am afraid that once the water level drops under the skimmer level, the pump will burn out. Got any recommendations and tips as to how to safely drain the pool?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.