Need help with Plumbing

captainclarkhaley

Jun 30, 2023
Florida
We recently purchased a house in S Florida with a pool that needs some serious TLC. I've already contracted for resurface, decking, lighting, etc.

I'm going to move and replace most of the pool equipment, but I am confused by a valve that makes no sense to me. See the picture below:
The valve that is circled in red looks like it either shuts off or possibly reverses the water going to the heater? The In and out pipes from the heater each have their own shut off, so if the valve in question is intended to shut off water flow to the heater, is it even necessary? I'd like to eliminate duplicity if I can.

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Clark

IMG_6114.jpg

Cap,

That valve is a heater by pass..

I would not remove it. It allows you to lower the back pressure when the heater is not needed.

Heaters add a huge amount of resistance to water flow. By-passing the filter will allow you to run your pump at a much lower speed, assuming you have a VS pump.

If you don't have a large VS pump, then that is where you should be spending your money.. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

That makes sense, but if there are shutoff valves on the in and out lines just before the heater, do I still need this valve?

As for the pump, I currently have a single speed Hayward, but I'm replacing with a Whisperflo VST (I think that's the model..).

Cap,

Are the shut off valves interconnected so that the water by-passes the heater or are they just shut off valves. If you shut off the water going to the heater and don't by-pass the heater, you will have no water flow at all, which is never a good plan... :mrgreen:

Most pumps are supposed to have about 12" of straight pipe before the pump itself.

That said, it makes very little difference one way or the other. There are thousands and thousands of pumps that have very short input lines and they all seem to work just fine.

If you have a choice, you should have the 12" straight pipe, but I would not let that 'rule' cause you any grief.

Thanks,

Jim R.

That makes sense, but if there are shutoff valves on the in and out lines just before the heater, do I still need this valve?

As for the pump, I currently have a single speed Hayward, but I'm replacing with a Whisperflo VST (I think that's the model..).
Not sure why there are valves on the in and out of the heater, but that can cause a "dead head" condition if not used carefully.

Thanks for the responses. The shutoff valves are interconnected to preclude the "deadhead." I've never messed with Pool Plumbing, so I've really had to sit and think about how it is plumbed. It's confusing enough for me that I've decided to have a pool expert come and take a look at it with me before I pull it apart and rebuild it in it's new location! Thanks to you both for your feedback. I'll probably have more questions before I'm done with the project....

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.