Need help with out of control pool...

I just wanted to add some encouragement. It will get better, and then will not require nearly as much work or money. We had a mighty fight for a few weeks this summer, and now have a crystal clear pool. I never thought we'd get there. Cleaning the filter often, and checking the intake for clogs (three long haired girls) was as important as keeping the chlorine level high. One morning you will wake to a sparkly pool, honestly.

Good Morning. Let's see if I can make some sense of this and start moving in the right direction. Feel free to correct whatever I have wrong.
You have a 24' x 4' AGP.
You have added 6½lbs of CYA so far. That's 65ppm CYA in a 12,000 gallon pool.
You have added "a bunch of algaecide" more than 4 gallons.
You've added a bunch of 50% Cal-Hypo. How much?
You've added 12 gallons of bleach.
You're testing with strips and a HTH 6-way test kit.
You're ordering a good test kit tomorrow (July/15/2010)?
And we don't know where you're located.
Does that about cover it?

Now lets start fixing this thing!
What does your water look like today?
Run a full set of tests and post the numbers you get.
First thing you're going to need is a lot of bleach. Start with 15 large jugs.
Don't buy anything else until you get your TF-100 test kit and can test your water.
Spend some time learning to use Pool Calc if you aren't already familiar with it.

This morning the pool is greener than yesterday, considerably, and still 0 Cl and o CYA...

I used the walmart brand bleach. When I did it last time and got considerable results I used 3 of the GV brand, and 3 of the clorox brand as they were out of the gv brand other than the three. Could the poor results be do to bad/weak bleach?

I'm going to town today, then won't be in again until Friday. Should I do the shock as described in pool school? Please advise.

I am new to this website but all the advice thay was given to me has helped turn my green cloudy baquacil pool into a sparkling clear beautiful pool, please follow the POOL SCHOOL instructions and the advice everyone gives it really does work. Make sure you vacuum to waste all the algae off the bottom and swep the sides down. Dont swim and mix up the fallen algae, vaccuum everything out using the waste setting.

You have to get your CYA up quickly so that your pool holds the chlorine longer. remember bleach bleach bleach. It took me 30-40 gallons to clearup my pool. Also make sure you order a TF100 test kit, it's a must.

Is it clear green or cloudy green?

You need to shock. The OTO test is very good at telling you whether there is chlorine in the pool or not, even if it isn't good at telling you how much.

The issue I'm having is that even though you've added enough CYA to be at 65ppm you're still reading zero. Are you using strips or a reagent test to determine that?

Here's what I want you to do. Add enough bleach to get to 14ppm. That's 2 large jugs of bleach. Wait 30 mins with the pump running and mix 2 parts chlorine free water with 1 part pool water and test again. Post the number you get.

I tested the CYA with the strips this morning, and with both yesterday. I will test the CYA again with the reagant in a bit, I'm currently taking a break from weeding and lawn work :p , then we'll be into town and I'll pick up more bleach. It is a darker green and when I look across it I want to say it's a little clearer, but I can't see any further down the ladder than yesterday ( I use that as a "cloudiness" guide, lol )
I can't really vacuum because I can't see past the first rung on the ladder...

Here are my questions:

How many large jugs should I pick up to have on hand? I don't want to get too much and have it sitting around in case it will go bad.

Should I keep the bleach in the house to avoid heat?

I am keeping the pump/filter running 24/7 is this advisable? I figure I need to filter out the dead algae.

When we get back from town I will add the two large jugs of bleach, and test, then I will set my timer for 2 hrs re-test using a 2:1 ratio of clean water to pool water .

I totally missed this post this morning! And thanks about for the encouragement... it's needed!

Good Morning. Let's see if I can make some sense of this and start moving in the right direction. Feel free to correct whatever I have wrong.
You have a 24' x 4' AGP.
You have added 6½lbs of CYA so far. That's 65ppm CYA in a 12,000 gallon pool.
You have added "a bunch of algaecide" more than 4 gallons.
You've added a bunch of 50% Cal-Hypo. How much?
You've added 12 gallons of bleach.
You're testing with strips and a HTH 6-way test kit.
You're ordering a good test kit tomorrow (July/15/2010)?
And we don't know where you're located.
Does that about cover it?

I am in Nebraska, hot and humid!
Ordering new test kit tomorrow ( Pay day! )
I have added 25 lbs of the cal-hypo this year.
4 gallons of algecide
18 gallons of bleach this year

Now lets start fixing this thing!
What does your water look like today?
Run a full set of tests and post the numbers you get.
First thing you're going to need is a lot of bleach. Start with 15 large jugs.
Don't buy anything else until you get your TF-100 test kit and can test your water.
Spend some time learning to use Pool Calc if you aren't already familiar with it.

Pool is green and cloudy, more green than cloudy, I can see "algae dust" that settled on the ladder this morning.
My reagent test of the CYA has a low of 30, even past that I still can see the dot. ( you mix 7 mL of pool water with 7 mL of the reagent, shake, then pour into beaker until you can't the see the dot ) So whatever it is, it's under 30 for sure. Judging on what I could see of it at 30, it would be maybe 10.

I also tested the alkalinity while I was out, it was at 260 ppm. I did not test pH or hardness, but can run out and do that quick.

Okay here's the total results:

FC & TC testing at 0
Hardness 550
pH 7.3
cya - well below 30
Alkalinity 260

I forgot to add earlier that earlier this year I added 6 jugs of muratic acid to bring down the pH as it was through the roof.

Yes... my pool is a mad scientist's dream and may explode at any minute...

Now we're getting somewhere. :)

Do you live on or near a farm? If so are they spraying?

Adding 25lbs of Cal-Hypo raised your CH by 90. Your CH is really high but managable. NO more cal-hypo for you!

Rerun the test in 30 min instead of 2 hours. There's a reason I want you to do that.

Start by buying 15 to 20 large jugs of bleach. Even if we don't use it now it'll still be fine when you do use it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Will do. I'm going to head in quick here and I'll pick some up! I'll update later when I get back.

NO more cal-hypo for you!

Man! But they're cute little packets and you can stack them up and make little walls with them...

No spraying in the area this year. We're on the edge of town with vacant lot next to use, residential on the other side and hay field everywhere else. So we're pretty far from commercial sprays. :D Now if POLLEN affects the pool... I'm in trouble.

I picked up 6 jugs today, will pick up about 12 more tomorrow, bleach is heavy in the cart with no help!

Okay. I put in the two jugs and tested in 30 minutes. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to dilute the pool water or not, but I didn't. It came up .5 on the TC. Now what?

I did find out the local store carries the Taylor - K-2006 Test kit and a Bioguard-1200V. I could pick one of those two up tomorrow, or order the TF100, whichever you guys think is the better route ( quicker or preferred )

The quickest route would by buy the K-2006. But be 100% certain that's what it is, that it contains the FAS-DPD test, because often the stores stock the 2005 with the DPD test, and these are NOT the same kits.

If the TC came it at .5, without dilution, again add 2 more large jugs. Test hourly, adding bleach every test that comes back less than 14, until you can get that FC up to 14 and hold it there.

Follow FPM's advice. Test and add as often as every hour if you can. You'll have to dilute the sample with chlorine free water once the FC starts holding more than 5.

You won't have to dilute once you get the FAS-DPD kit.

As she also said, Make sure the kit they stock is the K-2006 kit if you decide to get it. Make sure it has reagents R-0870, R-0871 & R-0003. If it is missing any one of those it's not the FAS-DPD kit. We stress this because many people have been told that the K-2005 kit is the same but it's not!

Well I have plenty of the OTO in this kit to get me through until it gets here so I'll go with the TF100.

So far tonight we have 6 jugs in... I'll test in the morning and report, and continue up to the 14 level!

The lady at the check out looked at me odd when I check out with 16 things of bleach and she asked what for, I told her my pool, and she was asking questions. I recommended this forum to her! :D

You're hopefuly on the right road now.

When you add next time, test after and hour and post the result here so we can see if you're making any break in it yet.
Don't get discouraged. It can take a while before the chlorine starts holding.

This morning we still had a TC of 5! Which means we didn't lose it all last night!
Had a great backwash this morning, lots of icky white outta there! Pool color is a lighter green this morning, still very cloudy, can't see far past the first rung.

I didn't test anything else at this time, should I?

Added two more jugs and will be updating hourly on that! :D

YEA!!!

Keep at it. You're making progress.
Chlorine is what you need to concentrate on right now. Don't worry about he rest of the tests right now.
Now that it's holding above 5 you need to dilute the pool water sample with chlorine free water to get a good reading.
You should also start using the Pool Calc to figure out how much chlorine to add each time now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.