Need help with cleaning pool algae off pool floor.

Oct 31, 2013
I've been working on treating a neglected pool this year.

Hit the pool with a power vacuum and removed a lot of algae but this is what I'm left with a week later after it cleared up.

Curious if I should just vacuum to waste or net or what you guys would recommend. Kinda in over my head.

20200724_170752_resized.jpg

Hiya Jay!....yessiree, vacuuming to waste is a good idea. But you need to understand that it won't get rid of the algae. For that you need to deal with the chemicals (free chlorine) that the pool has been deficient in in the first place which allowed the algae to grow.

What is your ordinary sanitation method? Which chemicals have you used so far?

Which test kit are you using....and can you tell us from a reliable test kit these values?-
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
Salt if applicable.

awaiting your response :)

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: Mdragger88
Vacuum through the filter and clean it later or vacuum to waste is your choice. You should set the vacuum (with hose attached) in the pool where it will stay put and leave it overnight. Then ever so gently the next day feed the hose in vertically to purge any air. Hook it up and start vacuuming. Go very slow and let the suction draw the stuff in. If you go too fast you'll just push it away and get it stirred up. It'll take a while, which is why I would filter.

And then you can proceed with the SLAM Process
If you prefer the movie to the book,

You have to kill the algae -- all of it -- or it'll keep coming back.

I have a taylor test kit.

Chrlorine usually sits about 3ppm
PH 7.2
CYA 100 (I added way too much at the beginning of the year and have slowly been replacing water to get this down)
Calcium level is in the 250-500 ppm area by my test strips but don't have an accurate way to measure this
Alkalinity 180 ppm. I'm pretty sure this is a little high due to the high CYA levels.

Pool got like this due to sitting covered for 2 years. It was completely green but I slammed the pool and was able to clear it up (hard to tell from the picture but the water is crystal clear) but it just has a large amount of dead algae on the bottom or what I'm guessing is algae.

Oh it’s definitely algae & its not dead by the looks of it.
its very hard toSLAM Process @ cya of 100 - some water exchange is definitely in order.
To slam properly you need a fas-dpd kit that will test above 10 ppm fc as you need a fc level of 39ppm.
What Taylor kit do you have?
Have you done the dilution cya test to be sure its not more than 100?

Your high CYA and relatively low free chlorine is allowing the algae to reproduce.
Algae at that level will reproduce faster than you can vacuume it out.
Adding more unstabilzed chlorine will slow the growth of your algae but to eliminate it and get your pool balanced, clear and clean you will need to first lower your CYA level. Next up. SLAM Process

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.