Need help with a possible leak

Aug 29, 2012
Shreveport, LA
Hey guys, need some help diagnosing a possible leak.

Short story, had to replace my motor as I had a cracked motor seal plate and water got into the motor. Rebuilt just about all of the pump with a new VS motor, seals, plate, gasket and impeller. Fired everything back up and I've got tons of bubble coming out of just 1 return (of 2) and lots of air in the pump basket. I'm pretty sure I had the same issue with the old motor, but I chalked it up to the motor going bad.

So far, I've backwashed a few times and shut off the main drain return and skimmer return. Shutting each one off doesn't change the air in the basket or the return, so I'm guessing it's a leak in the return? If it makes a difference, the return with bubbles is the closest to the pump. Also, I've run the VS motor at lower speeds to make sure I wasn't exceeding the flow the plumbing can handle.

What else can I check?

Appreciate the help!

Air in the basket would indicate a leak on the suction side not on the pressure side. There’s no way for air to get from the pressure side, backwards through the pump and into the basket. If shuting off both the main drain and the skimmer doesn’t fix the issue then there is likely a leak in the common plumbing between the spot where the skimmer and main drain connections merge through the pump intake, including the drain and the lid in the basket. You can try to run a hose over each of the joints in this section of plumbing to try to identify where the leak is. When the hose water is running over the leak it will suck in water and not air and the air in the basket will disappear.

Air in the basket would indicate a leak on the suction side not on the pressure side. There’s no way for air to get from the pressure side, backwards through the pump and into the basket. If shuting off both the main drain and the skimmer doesn’t fix the issue then there is likely a leak in the common plumbing between the spot where the skimmer and main drain connections merge through the pump intake, including the drain and the lid in the basket. You can try to run a hose over each of the joints in this section of plumbing to try to identify where the leak is. When the hose water is running over the leak it will suck in water and not air and the air in the basket will disappear.

Great, I'll try running water over the connections like you suggest and see if I can narrow it down. Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.