Need Help Replacing Impeller - Not Sure How to Release It

Jun 16, 2015
Voorhees, NJ
I am in the process of replacing the impeller and shaft seal in my pool pump. It is an American Products/Pentair Ultra Flow, and the motor is by AO Smith. I've never worked on a pump before, and I'm not sure how to release the impeller. I removed the cover where the power comes in, and I see a screw. I assume that I have to remove this, but I'm not sure how. It's covered by some type of metal plate with two springs on each side. If anyone could give me some assistance, I would really appreciate it. I've attached two pictures. The first is the broken impeller, and the second is the back motor compartment.

IMG_0317.jpg

IMG_0316.jpg

Stupid question, but am I okay to touch the capacitor? My power is off and has been since Sunday. I also got a screwdriver and touched both of the terminals together. My understanding is that the capacitor should be discharged now. Is the shaft the part underneath the gold metal plate in the center?

I have the wrench in place, but I cannot turn the impeller. It seems like it won't budge. I'm at a disadvantage, because the top of the impeller broke off. There is very little to grab onto, so I tried holding it with pliers. It's actually breaking the plastic on the impeller. Is there anything else I can try? I'm starting to think that I'll need a whole new pump.

I feel dumb asking, but is there a good way to reattach those small springs? I foolishly removed them before I posted for help. I didn't realize at the time that I just needed a wrench. I was trying with needle-nose pliers, but it's harder than it looks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.